1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Marlins aren't packaging Chen with Realmuto and the Astros aren't eating Chen's salary. Marlins absolutely have to win the trade after being destroyed on their previous deals, and they can't have it viewed as a salary dump move. The deal has to be centered around a stud prospect.

It will be Tucker plus one of James/Martin/JBB and an additional top 15 prospect as well.

Marlins payroll is going to be like 76 million. They don't need to cut more payroll.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Trying to find a home for Reddick, here are the competitive teams who could use an upgrade in Corner OF:

Cardinals
    Padres
    Rays
    Indians
    Reds
    Giants
    White Sox
    A’s

Giants and Indians seem to be the best fits, although if they sent him to Cleveland they’d have to eat some salary. Cardinals for Jose Martinez or White Sox for Jose Abreu makes some sense.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This year perhaps.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I see not wanting to get rid of Gurriel and Reddick as a vote of confidence in Armenteros as a playoff starter if Astros add Cruz. Chen...yuck. Don't want him as a playoff starter either. Maybe Luhnow can work his magic and get a SP that is good/great and keep one of Gurriel and Reddick. Odds would be better if both were gone and Luhnow's magic didn't have a budget.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd add teams willing to take a low level prospect and absorb Reddick's contract without regard to needing an OF upgrade.

6. Nook

Nook Member

So far every team has told the Astros they will only take Reddick if the Astros eat money and so far the Astros have not agreed to eat money. If the Astros get very close to making a deal that stretches the budget, we may see Reddick moved with the Astros eating some of Reddick’s deal.

mario elie likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Then you could add rebuilding teams: Tigers, Royals, Marlins, Mariners, Orioles, Rangers, Blue Jays, Diamondbacks

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Seems like eating more than $5M of his contract would be pretty counterproductive, since the only reason to trade him is to offload as much of the salary as possible, and because he’s still a fairly productive player.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Good trade for Texas. Profar could barely stay in the big leagues before last year. He's only got 2 years of control left so sell high and when you aren't competing the next 2 years anyway. Profar's home/road splits aren't great either in 2018. He was a much better player in that Arlington launching pad, and I suspect his numbers in Oakland will be down.

Home
    BA .271, OBP .365, OPS .874

Road
    BA .237, OBP .307, OPS .712

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Profar is the first OAK move this offseason I believe? Interested to see how they move forward. Clearly they’re our biggest hurdle, with LAA not far behind.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Also got Soria for the pen.

awc713 likes this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

Joe Kelly to LAD

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

14. awc713

awc713 Member

LonghornFan likes this.
  15. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

That’s a fans perspective. Last report said Astros had the best offer on the table and it did not include Tucker.

16. Marteen

Marteen Member

Mega trade. Probably a sign of Harper to the Dodgers.

17. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Woah

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Looks to be a definite sign of Harper to LAD.

19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Rosenthal says they still sit at 185 million. They don’t want a 10 year contract either. If their owner is willing to bust the salary cap threshold, it’s still a possibility, but unlikely to do so. Rosenthal says they may target Pollock, Realmuto or Kluber/Bauer.

20. Major

Major Member

This seems like a trade that makes no sense for anyone. What does LA need with a $20MM pitcher with a 6+ ERA the last several years, and why are they giving up significant depth on their WS-contending team?

Why is a 67-win Cinci team trading any prospects for a bunch of guys who will be free agents next year?

This trade doesn't really even save either team any much money (just redistributes it a bit differently between 2019 and 2020), so I'm not sure impacts Harper much. And I don't think the Dodgers are better with Harper/Bailey than Kemp/Puig/Wood anyway.

Marteen likes this.