1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Matt freaking Harvey just got $11M guaranteed, with another $3M or $4M in incentives. In this market, Kluber for 17 is actually peanuts. He is worth way more than 25 per year in this market, and that is why they will get a haul.

I think something like Tucker, Josh James, and JBB for Kluber and a solid-yet-unspectacular bullpen arm (or a solid low-level prospect that the front office identifies as intriguing) would be a great deal for both teams.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The fact that he's locked up for 3 more years at $17M is actually all the MORE reason Cleveland isn't going to take a mixed bag of low-end MLB talent, and some pitching prospects. They are rightfully going to ask for a top shelf return. It's just a matter of whether the Astros want to allocate Tucker towards A) their own future B) acquiring Realmuto or C) going after Kluber.

Nook and BMoney like this.
  3. Jeremy Williams

While I would consider Davis and Fisher AAA fodder, Kemp is a legit cheap OF and Bukauskas and Martin are good prospects. Toss in Nova too, if it gets the deal done.

If I were the Indians, I would be trying to off-load that 52.5 mil in $ owed to Kluber. Getting that large of a haul would be a good get.

BMoney likes this.
  4. Jeremy Williams

I could certainly be wrong, but I think the motivation will be to sell; not the other way around. It mostly depends on what other teams are offering.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I will gladly make you the Indians GM and get you on the phone with Lunhow. Let’s see if we can work out something for Lindor too.

chievous minniefield, crose and Nook like this.
  6. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I would be more excited if we could trade Tucker for Kluber than Realmuto. Sign Cruz to a 2 year deal similar to Brantley if there’s money left.

mario elie and Nook like this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

IF the Indians would even consider trading Kluber to the Astros the price tag STARTS with Whitley OR Tucker and will also include one of Alvarez or James and another top 10 guy.

Whitley, Alvarez, JBB

or

Tucker, James, Martin

Something like that...

Go look at the price for Chris Sale with 3 years of control. Kluber's value may not be quite as high because he is more expensive and older, but it will be close.

IowaAstro likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

$52.5M over the next 3 years for Corey Kluber is not something to "offload" though. That's a hell of a bargain for a legitimate ace that can anchor a playoff worthy rotation. The Indians are looking to trade Kluber because they realize that the timing is such that they can maximize their returns on him right now. 3 years of team control on a player of that caliber is worth its weight in gold. Cleveland knows that, and is acting accordingly. I guarantee you they'd rather keep Kluber and stay somewhat competitive if all they were going for him was the satisfaction of clearing their books. $17M a year for him is peanuts.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  9. Jeremy Williams

That's a good laugh. Lindor is made under 1 mil last year.

10. Jeremy Williams

Again, I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see what return he actually fetches.

11. Jeremy Williams

I guarantee you that no one would offer Whitley for Kluber. Kluber costs too much and he's too old. Whitley is the next Nolan Ryan, remember? :)

12. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Not how it works, my dude.

Nook likes this.
  13. Jeremy Williams

Perhaps not. Time will tell.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Indians don’t need to purge anymore payroll.

If Kluber were a free agent he would get a 5-6 year deal. If he were limited to three years he could likely get $100,000,000.

Trading Kemp or Fisher isn’t getting you close to that. You would be lucky to get him for Tucker and someone like Bauskaukas.

Indeed if the Astros could make that deal right now, they would be crazy to not do it.

I will go to war with Stephen Hawkins behind the plate if I can have a playoff rotation of Verlander, Cole and Kluber.

15. Jeremy Williams

Tucker, JJ and JBB for Kluber would be an absolute pillaging. No thanks.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn’t give them James. It was obvious last year that his stuff is at least in the top 10%... however if I can substitute Perez for James, I do that deal.

I get three years of one of the 3-4 best pitchers in baseball. I will gladly give up 5-6 years of Tucker (who I think will need a couple years to be better than average; and two relief pitchers.

I would then eat $5,000,000 of Reddick’s contract and deal him to save $21,000,000 and offer the money saved to Murphy or Cruz.

At that point I don’t care if my catcher has a .500 OPS. I can find someone that defends well but is a AA hitter to be behind the plate.

17. Jeremy Williams

If it comes down to Kluber for Tucker and JBB for 3 years at 52.5 mil, or Realmuto for Tucker for 2 years at 10 mil, I'm taking Realmuto. With the 42.5 million in savings, we can afford to extend Cole and/or Verlander next year. We can sign a mid-level starter (or trade for one), and look for Bumgarner around the trade deadline.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Realmuto will cost more than 10 million dollars over the next two years. If I am concerned about money, I jettison Reddick.

Having said that, there isn’t a 45 million dollar difference and that doesn’t even account for Kluber being under contract a year longer.

19. Jeremy Williams

You're right. MLBTR projects Realmuto at 6.1 mil for 2019. I'm going to guess it will be around 8.1 mil in 2020. So not 10 mil, but about 14.2 mil.

7.1 mil/year ave vs 17.5 mil/year. 10.4 mil per year savings for 2 years, with additional 3rd year of 17.5 mil commitment.

That could easily be the difference in whether we can afford to extend Cole. Save the $ and take the catcher.

20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Updated MLB Rumors: Astros making progress with Marlins in trade discussions centered around @JTRealmuto
    Source: As of right now Houston has best offer on table, Miami is moving at snails pace but seem to be ready to narrow down offers.
    #Braves #Rockies #Dodgers also involved