1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is all part of Putin's master plan. Manchurian shuts down government. No defense against looming Red Dawn.

Hakeemtheking and JuanValdez like this.
  2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Nobody said she wasn't.

biff17 likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Whatever her motivations were, I'm pretty sure showing respect to the office wasn't it.

cml750 likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Right. When Trump mentioned transparency, I was waiting for... well, we can write that into law, Mr President, to live stream all oval office meetings going forward.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Agreed.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im no fan of pelosi so im not trying to defend her, but i do think that her desire to not publicly disrespect the office was genuine. i thought it was highly entertaining, but the reality is that it that makes our government look weak to the rest of the world and i think "nancy" knows that.

the look on schumers face when trump said he will take the blame was gold!

[​IMG]

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is all posturing.

Trump wants a wall that costs $5 Billion. Dems know how desperate he is - willing to shut down the gov't. Trump takes extreme positions to get a better "deal" - Dems are onto him and are taking an extreme position to get a better "deal" for themselves.

It's all about extraction and posturing. Neither side wants a gov't shutdown. Trump will blink. All will blink.

In the end - Dreamers will be ok'd, and the wall will be built.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

". . . in a fit of pique, Democrats are throwing away their leverage, insisting that they will never — under any circumstances — give Trump the wall he so desperately wants. The reason? Because he wants it and they despise him."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...6a6f3ce8199_story.html?utm_term=.be3b91132dbd

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's another word for it - smart.

You negotiate with Trump using Trump tactics otherwise you get rolled over. Dems figuring this fool out

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Her argument makes no sense if its out of respect for the office, because she turned around and said it to the media. Stating it to a captive audience of boot lickers 30 minutes later is a pretty clear demonstration of getting the worst of it.

She's the person who has a joke told about them, then tells some friend later what they should have said, if only they were here, and if only i thought of it earlier, it'd have been awesome, ah what the hell, act like i did because you're stupid, victory achieved!

cml750 likes this.
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

why is it on democrats? trumps main campaign promise was that mexico was going to pay for the wall. what happened to that? why dont his supporters care that trump lied and now wants them to pay for it?

also, republicans control all 3 branches of government right now - the fact that trump cant get his wall just shows how truly weak he is.

also, seeing how 70% of americans dont see the border wall as a priority, i would say that the democrats are more in line with the country than the trumpublicans.

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  13. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because they totally have never expressed any opposition to the idea of a giant border wall boondoggle until now, right?

If you truly believe this, it's because you haven't been paying attention to the words coming out of Democrats mouths for the last 15 years.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that was a truly dumb comment with no basis in reality.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Dumb article. It's not the Democrats holding up the wall in the House, it's the Republicans. If he had House Republicans, he could get it through the House today, and his window is closing. He just doesn't want to criticize his own party. As for the refusal to negotiate (and I don't know that they're really so intractable as all that), it's not insane at all. The prize is the 2020 presidential election. Would it be politically rational to give him a major campaign element (I delivered my promise to build a wall!) to get some concession for Dreamers? Of course not. If and when they do concede wall funding, they need to get a lot back in order to justify giving him the talking point for 2020.

joshuaao, R0ckets03, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I will take that mantle.....for 6 more days.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I heard that Bullies are Cowards.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Blommaert/publication/265850004/figure/fig2/AS:392183849996307@1470515324911/b****-please-meme-Google-Images-downloaded-September-1-2014_W840.jpg

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member