1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Brantley

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stros4me, Dec 17, 2018.

1. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Cool. Here’s to hoping for 2 mostly healthy seasons. Brantley is an all star when he’s right.

I wonder what Jed Lowrie’s deal will end up looking like. Seems like he would be good 1B/DH plus 2B/3B insurance. Not needed after the Brantley signing and Diaz on the roster.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

He’s a hell of a contact guy when healthy. Hope he stays that way. I’m happy with this deal!

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If you cant beat'em, join'em.

Welcome.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  4. Marteen

Marteen Member

Wonder if he's heard about being possibly moved.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I may be the only dick to admit it, but if it gets all of the annoying wrestling crap and the WOOOOOO chants gone, I'm ALL for it.

Hey Now! likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

I hope we keep Reddick. He’s really embraced HOU in his time here (and at a time when NO legitimate FA thought twice about us). I get that his contract isn’t great, and his play last year was down, but adding one lefty bat only to get rid of the other lefty bat doesn’t make much sense. I’d rather sit tight w/ who we have and let them play it out. Selling low and eating part of his contract just isn’t that appealing. I love making Tucker play his way into ABs. Lord knows we’ll need to put Brantley at DH/1B to keep him fresh.

UTSA2step and AznH-TownFan like this.
  7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I would only trade and eat part of Reddick contract if we can add Cruz.

8. conquistador#11

So Marwin is really gone isn't he?
    =(

I do love this addition.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The risk with Brantley is only health.

If he can play 140 games this is an absolute steal.

Awesome deal for 2 years, shocked this was able to get it done.

vince likes this.
  10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

As long as he's healthy during the playoffs I'm happy.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I’d only sign Lowrie if there were someone we really wanted from the A’s so we could trade him there for a 3rd time. Bet that’s never happened before...

Great news on Brantley. I’ve always liked him as a player. If the problem is that we have too many bats and not enough lineup spots, that’s a problem I’m happy to live with. I do think they’re going to move Reddick ultimately. I think Tucker is going to get it right this year and need to be out there everyday.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

One literally has to go out of their way to gripe about this signing. Unless you think the team won’t pick up a ToR pitcher specifically bc of this signing, what exactly is there to complain about?

raining threes and craigharmann like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The Reddick tweet is so misleading...those three years for Reddick include a career year with the bat for him which skews the data, one that I’ll bet anything he won’t repeat for us. Brantley has been consistent when healthy. Plus, if you look at the last three years Brantley has been healthy he blows Reddick out of the water.

Now whether he stays healthy is a valid question and concern.

Edit: Since 2014, Brantley has a wRC+ of 130 which is good for 11th among all OF over that span. Josh Reddick is at 38th with a wRC+ of 114. Brantley even has a higher WAR despite the fact that he's missed a lot more time than Reddick...

#34 Htown Stros, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    everyday eddie likes this.
  15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Couldn’t agree more. Nothing against Josh Reddick, but Michael Brantley is a better hitter, and it’s not as close as those stats indicate. I still remember the game in Cleveland this year when the Astros blew a huge lead in the 9th inning, and Brantley kept fighting off pitches from Rondon on the black, until he served one into left field for a base hit to keep the line moving. Not to mention, Reddick has had his offensive struggles in the playoffs as an Astro.

As of right now, the Astros would be wise to make Brantley the primary DH to keep him healthy, and Reddick is still the Astros best option in right field, because of his elite defensive abilities. However, if they sign Nelson Cruz, too, then the situation changes.

Htown Stros likes this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like Brantley primarily as a DH also. I don’t really see the need for a 38 year old Nelson Cruz at this point, unless you can get him on the cheap which seems doubtful given his numbers. Brantley just feels like a really good fit.

17. Buck Turgidson

Perfect lefty contact bat for this lineup.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Another interesting point... Brantley did not receive a qualifying offer. If he rakes for 2 years the Astros can give him one after the 2020 season.

19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Wow that just adds to the steal lol

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Wonder what the lineup will be as Brantley’s contact rate makes more since for him to hit early than late