1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Oct 20, 2016.

1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads up. That's been on my radar, definitely will bite at $8.

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

anyone pick up smash? picked up smash and MK8 recently such classics.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Has there been a first-pary exclusive that received a near-unanimous / unanimous "this game sucks," by Nintendo? Every first-party game they put out is gold.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Since Nintendo has always been behind in regards to hardware, they've stayed in business by focusing on great game play.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Unlocked every character within 2 days of Smash being released, but Nintendo Online is awful and can't link up with friends online.

Currently working through Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I wasn't a big fan through the first few hours, but it hooked me once I watched combat tutorials.

6. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i've used nintendo online a few times...i created a private room in MK8...but had no idea how to invite a friend...they somehow joined while i was looking up how too not sure if there is a "join match" thing in my profile or how they got in my party but it was whatever.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Your friends can see an arena that you create, but you can only connect with one person per console. You can have 2 players from the same console play online but only with randoms at the moment. It makes no sense. I'm not paying for the service that they are now charging for online play if they're going to half-ass it.

8. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

wow thats weird.
    their chat stuff is weird too...apparently gotta use their phone app. i think they're not entirely sure how to implement because they still gear it towards kids i think. like they're trying to bulletproof it...they don't want assholes running rampant or something like you can have on xbox live. people sending nasty messages after matches and such.

you do get a backlog of old NES games to play which was as surprise and its only 20 a yr as opposed to like 60 or whatever it is for the other consoles.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's the appeal of Smash Brothers? It looks stupid. Always has. But people love it. I grew up playing Capcom fighting games. Is it somewhat similar in concept, because if so, I wouldn't be interested. But if it's extremely different, maybe it's worth a try? I always assumed it was for 5-10 year olds.

10. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Very different from Capcom fighting games. Honestly, I've never been big on Smash Bros (or really any fighting games) but I am very much enjoying Ultimate. I really have no desire to play against other people and the single player has kept my attention pretty well for about 12 hours so far. And it's for kids in the same sense that all Nintendo games are. They're just really good games that are wholesome.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Different concept than your traditional fighting games where everyone has a set health bar you knock down to 0. You try to knock your opponents off the stage. Damaging them makes it more likely. Many characters from all different IPs with signature moves and playstyles that is fairly balanced.

I've been reading back through this thread and it's interesting to see how first impressions are compared to owning it now. I've had every Nintendo console and I didn't plan on getting a Switch initially since I barely had time to play the Wii U. But after getting the Switch, the convenience of quick pick up and play and portable gaming has let me play console games more than ever. I bought Zelda on Wii U, but couldn't invest the time to sit and play it. I'm considering buying it for the Switch, but still have plenty of stuff to get through first.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Can someone explain these damn spirits in Super Smash?

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

You can attach spirits to your character and it will upgrade their abilities such as reducing damage against specific attacks, move quicker, jump higher etc.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

i sort of get that. I get that it's a rock-paper-scissors game in terms of grab, attack, shield too. I guess what I'm sort of struggling with is what combos are best and what spirits are worth scavenging for or even upgrading? It just seems like such a complicated game within the game thing.

15. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

My go-to combos are always changing. For a while I was constantly using Wedding Bowser as my primary and Wedding Peach as my secondary. Now, Wedding Bowser is probably my 3rd or 4th best grabbing type primary.

If it's too overwhelming, you can always use the auto-pick before a battle. It's pretty good at selecting a primary spirit that matches up well (it'll usually pick ones that are slightly underpowered to maximize rewards) and support spirits that mitigate the enemy's abilities or any stage hazards.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

ok i'm buying a switch now. playing this game so I can RAH RAGEEEEEE THEM!

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

BOTW and Tetris 99 are worth it too.

cheke64 likes this.
  18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i've enjoyed mine so far since Christmas. I'm not the gamer I used to be so 20 minutes here or there is all I do. Mario Odyssey has been great, as has Super Mario Deluxe. I never got a change to play diablo 3 so i've been playing that one. BOTW is on the shelf but I will get to it when I clear out the current games.

I need a travel case. Obviously there are a few on amazon with good reviews. Any particular recommendations?

19. VanityHalfBlack

tetris 99 is freaking insane. And, it's free!! They be shottin missiles and ****

20. Duncan McDonuts

I personally like the tomtoc which is a slim case that only carries the Switch itself and a few games. I stuff a pair of headphones in it but that's pushing it. The only portability I need is from home to work, so I don't need to carry all the extra accessories with the added bulk.

DonkeyMagic likes this.