1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Farewell, Fitzgerald's

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Dec 12, 2018.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Basically Houston's version of CBGB. Most likely with the same fate, it seems.

I played my first gig ever at Zelda's before I was old enough to drive. Probably freshman year of high school. We piled all our gear into our bass player's Dad's blue van and he dropped us off at the door. We felt like we'd really "made it" because they even printed tickets to sell and they had our band name on them! Bunch of 15-year olds trudging through covers by The Police, REM and The Cult. Good times....

Saw a few bands there in the 90's, but always made the trip from Huntsville to see one band in particular called Ten Hands. Those guys were so good.....kind of a mix between Frank Zappa and James Brown. Spent many a night in the front row upstairs watching those guys, singing along to those crazy songs, marveling at their amazing drummer and percussionist (Earl Harvin and Mike Dillon) and of course slam-dancing to Amoeba.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I saw Dr La Soul there and it was one of the craziest shows I've seen - the crowd was so hyped and was going nuts for the DJ spinning records. DLS was amazed by the energy of the audience and kept saying 'y'all some hyped MFers' - I swear the whole place was shaking.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It probably was LOL. It's a rickety 100 year old building.

Intimate venues like Fitzgeralds provide decidedly more hype than nice venues do. They aren't as comfortable (undertstatement), and aren't built to maximize income, but good shows get absolutely crazy with a fairly small number of people. One small passionate group of fans and the electricity gets contagious.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My memory is a little fuzzy from that period...was Walter's the one that was the old movie theater? I spent a lot of time on Washington but it was mostly at Rockefeller's (one of my best friends ran the box office) and Satellite Lounge.

Urban Art Bar was a great downtown venue, too.

5. Dmo

Dmo Member

Man never forget the amazing times I had with an ex fwb of mine there circa 2005-2006. A pair breasts like you would believe @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  6. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I think the Abyss/Vatican was an old theater. Walter's was just a small dive.

7. leroy

That's right. I remember it being the Abyss now.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  8. leroy

A light wind in The Woodlands would've made that building sway all the way down in the Heights.

9. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

The band I was with used to pack that place out in the early 90’s - did a Texas Funk Syndicate concert or two upstairs. Those were great times.

I haven’t been there in almost 15 years but still sad to see it go.

10. Buck Turgidson

THIS

Digable Planets at the Alabama Theater opening for Gang Starr and solo Q-Tip, same full jazz band was on stage all night.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

RIP - the first show I saw there was Pain Teens. Bliss Blood whipping a guy onstage..oh the fun. great memories for a teenager in high school.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

pics pls or hoax.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I had to dig up my old concert log, and apparently I've only been there twice. Once to see Superchunk on November 13, 1999. And once to see Guided by Voices on November 19, 1999.

DFWRocket and Torn n Frayed like this.
  14. Dmo

Dmo Member

I'm not DINE to post pics...

15. Buck Turgidson

Great band, great song. There's so much stuff I just don't remember.

What else is in your concert log?

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

all good breh. you can dm me, nobody looks at jontro's page.

Dmo likes this.