1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Do you get upset when the cooked weight of a ribeye is less than the weight advertised on the menu?

2. Buck Turgidson

Lots of bbq restaurants do too, it's just whatever their preference is. The input cost of that rack of ribs is factored into their price, so you're paying for the bones either way. It also gives smaller places who do not have longer-term supply contracts with people like Sysco for their meat (like the places you mentioned) the ability to adjust their prices to meet the market price more easily.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

another apple and orange

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

2 days ago i bbq chicken until the thermometer said poultry safe and the chicken shrunk to half the size with beef jerky bite texture.

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You have the option of not buying it or cooking them yourself. $20 for a beef rib, Jackson St BBQ or $15 for beef rib plate at Killen’s is well worth it. And bones don’t weigh that much as it is.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

ROXTXIA, marky :), HR Dept and 5 others like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Went there just before Christmas. Easy to find on Elm Street off 2920 in downtown Tomball. Lots of parking in a lot alongside Elm. Went in the mid afternoon so line wasn't bad and they still had most items on the menu. Small restaurant with inside and outside seating. You first pass the chocolate display... trying to not gain too much weight so fought the urge to get a few (the Kahlua ones looked best). But the next counter had "Orange Koulaches" (more like large sweet rolls). Ordered one (so much for maintaining weight). Then got to the counter to order the BBQ. I chose 1/4 lb of moist brisket, a chile relleno sausage and side of mustard potato salad. Mrs. Rox had the brisket blue cheese salad.

Best brisket I have ever had (better than Coopers in Llano). But the chile relleno sausage was the highlight. Lasted about a minute.

body slam likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

About 20-30 bucks for a large beef rib.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, how much for a soda?

10. Buck Turgidson

Pour it in your hand for a nickel?

donkeypunch likes this.
  11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's wild... we went there just after Christmas. It was my first time there and it was top notch. We got the moist brisket, pork ribs, pork belly and chile relleno sausage. Same experience... brisket was unbelievable. I liked it better than Corkscrew's. Pork ribs were ok but the pork belly was terrific. By far my favorite though was the chile relleno sausage... unique and outstanding.

Only negative was the wait. The line moved really, really slow.

12. NewRoxFan

The guy in line in front of us said he and his dad did a BBQ Tour of Texas and told us about Corkscrew (in Spring?). The one thing that was out that I wanted to try was Burnt Ends... had them from BBQ Godfather truck at Deacon Baldy's (on 1488) and enjoyed so much I wanted to see what this place could do. Luckily the wife (who isn't tat big a BBQ fan) loved the place so much we are going back soon.

[​IMG]

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I still haven't been since they went brick & mortar. Was certainly fantastic when they were a trailer on Budde Rd.

How was BBQ Godfather? They're never open when we go to Deacon Baldy's. Been wanting to try it.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Best Pork Ribs and Pulled Pork are at Pit Master BBQ in Spring. Memphis Style ribs so meaty 3 will fill you up.

15. NewRoxFan

The food from The BBQ Godfather was good... the sausage and brisket was decent, but the burnt ends stood out. The other thing that stood out was the pizzas from Dizzy's Pies. Our group had two... the Alright, Alright, Alright and the Red Headed Stranger, both were great. The people next to us had the Look Up Here and they said it was great too.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Went to Jackson Street right after 11am and got a brisket plate. They made the cuts off of a new brisket and it was essentially all burnt ends. Heaven.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The one on Sawdust? Maybe I've only been on bad days but, IMO, they're essentially on par with Luther's/Papas. I've been 2 or 3 times and wasn't impressed by anything I had there.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, did you tell them who you were? You gotta engage that VIP status, Clutch. Big dick it; NeNe style.

19. Buck Turgidson

chile relleno sausage is something I've never thought about, and dear god it sounds delicious.

roasted poblano and what else?

20. NewRoxFan

[​IMG]
    Happy New Year!

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/en...-the-sausage-in-Houston-barbecue-13247693.php