1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has MDA lost the lockeroom?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 8, 2018.

?

has he lost the lockeroom

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Maybe so

52 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think there is truth to what you are saying about teams defending the system better. It's obvious they are playing the drive better. They are anticipating the kicks to the corners. The rockets are having to work a lot harder for the same looks that they got with ease before. Teams are not biting on fakes as much, and really staying with shooters.

But I think there are multiple problems here. First, guys are not shooting well. Second, we can't stay in front of anybody on defense. Third, there is something going on with the team's chemistry. Maybe it stems from the melo situation, I don't know.

If you add all of those things up it could explain such a drastic drop off. I don't think there is one issue to blame here. There are many.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I don't think the locker room is listening to anything but whiny Drake tracks right now.

s3ts and Mazulis like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the Pelicans game and the CP3 suspension started this. We had a 4 or 5 game winning streak but could not sustain any of it.

The inconsistency was apparent. Their heads were not in a lot of games.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i agree with everything you said here. but it's also stuff that everyone has already known for the past 2 decades. morey chose this guy, morey needs to cater to his needs roster-wise. but instead 40% of our roster is just unplayable guys who shouldn't be on an active nba roster. our offense is generating open look after open look but we just don't have the sharpshooters to make it work. on defense our roster is old and unathletic and can't finish in the paint or get a rebound because they're typically giving up inches. on one hand pringles is a stubborn fool, but i mean really what is he supposed to do with mcw lol?

ramotadab and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. anchel

anchel Member

Im counting with Hartenstein and Clark into those 10... Chriss, Qi, MCW, Edwards, Melo, Knight.... we have too many people filling a spot and unplayable for any reason. Dallas has more depth. Yesterday they put a very good looking rookie starting, their Gary Clark let's say. But even Mejri is playable. they have 3-4 playable PFs (Dirk is out)... They have much more real depth, it's like that.

I agree Clark should be playing instead of Green/House. That's on the coach.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Where were you with the "Game 1 will tell us a tremendous amount about the season" thread.

DreamShook and ramotadab like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think MDA has lost the locker room. I think MDA, CP and Harden are all in synch.

When the team is healthy and they have issues it really boils down to the "depth issue" and the ripple effects of that. And the lack of resiliency of this team. Not sure where they lost that "fight" mentality that they had last year. Those could be intangibles lost via Ariza/Luc.

2 years ago this wouldn't have surprised me. But having CP here was one of the "value adds" I felt would help mitigate this type of thinking. He would provide that leadership/spark to not let things get off the rails. We kind of saw this earlier in the year in the Nets game.

1) Players need to play better, and be more resilient when things don't go their way.
    2) The onus is on MDA and the coaches to tweak their defense to improve their rebounding. And rebounding position. Forget trying to match up with the Warriors if it ruins you for 28 other teams. Coaches need to make some adjustments. Bzdelik, you were brought here to work. Work.
    3) Onus on Morey to make moves. Bench depth for the short term, 3rd star/high ceiling for the long term.

ramotadab, Clutch and HP3 like this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

By all means, let's give the head coaching spot to a 70-year-old who has never coached at any level.

What could possibly go wrong? :eek:

Mazulis and Patience like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was witness.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is something I had doubt. CP's leadership was hailed as something that would greatly add to the team, especially in light of Harden's questionable leadership quality. But CP's teams, Pelicans and Clippers, were never known to be resilient and tough minded, perhaps with the exception of last season's Rockets. In fact, his Clippers had the reputation of choking in the playoffs. If CP is a tough minded guy himself, it does not seem to translate into influencing his team.

Mazulis likes this.
  11. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

"The worst we're going to be is great. "

s3ts and ramotadab like this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Might as well give him the reins MDA is doing no better.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

So this is a win win for Morey. System works he gets the credit, system begins to fail and put it on the coach...

Mazulis likes this.
  14. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Everyone knows it's all Morey. He has no place to hide if system fails.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

idk about win-win... but maybe win-diminished accountability... lol

Additionally, idk whats up with MDA's refusal to play more than a third of the roster... if DM has in fact filled out the roster with (as others term them) 'scrubs' - then MDA should find the stones to play them...
    A) Run your quality guys into the ground so they run outta gas down the stretch - and he looks like a moron that cant win with the MVP, CP3, CC and some other decent players...
    B) Play your starters at a reasonable clip and if games slip away when your bench is in - what can he do - he can only play the guys that DM gives him...

Ehhh... plays hand in hand with MDA's refusal to take the ball outta harden's hands when he's in 'turnover mode' - he's afraid of getting 'McHaled'....

Or his willingness to add Melo to the roster - then starts the likes of MCW over him and is happy to get Melo kicked to the curb after 10 games - even though "He's done everything the coching staff has asked of him..."

MDA is just trying to keep the paychecks rolling in....

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I’ve been telling people for years, leadership is extremely overrated. Talent and chemistry are much more important.

#76 Blurr#7, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Sajan likes this.
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am not going to blame MDA...because if you are going to give him an award saying he is coach of the year...then you need to stick with him for a couple of seasons ESPECIALLY when you know damn well the roster has gone to sh**.

We lost key players and it shows. We literally have scrubs playing major minutes and you want MDA to do what..make them elite players?

Did Tyron Lue become an even worse coach this year? Nope... his best player left.

I only blame coaches when it's obvious that the talent is there but they are not being used to their full potential...Exhibit A. BoB.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Voted yes but should have voted "maybe," anytime you see a team quit out there on the floor like in the Utah game, that's a pretty clear indication that the players aren't responding to MDA. But I don't think firing him would do anything.

True, he should have been fired after that atrocious first round series in 2014.

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

MDA is a garbage now!

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't know if he's lost the locker room but I know that he's lost his mind by still thinking Nene should play