1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You're right on this, but that doesn't dispute a scenario where Mueller has a mountain of evidence and a strong case, but simply knows there's more facts to gather. OJ Simpson walked free. This is 2016-2018 timeline has turned logic upside down. The Butini flip tonight could be a goldmine of new info. The process is still playing out.

At the end of the day, Mueller will eventually put his cards on the table and we can then decide what to do with them, but it's pretty foolish to pretend like there aren't way too many coincidences and lies that point to the likelihood that there will be significant revelations that our president did deplorable things that undermined our democracy.

#5281 Fullcourt, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    eric.81, Harrisment and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK, you wish to use the Edwards case as "precedence"? Then lets remove trump from office and put him on trial. Good "precedence?"

3. NewRoxFan

And what makes you think that? Perhaps they understand the seriousness and impact that removing trump from office? Perhaps they know the complexity of the activities that would lead to charges? I know... doesn't fit your simplistic view, but just maybe they know that impeachment charges are the most serious charge and they know that they need to be 100% correct, with indisputable proof, and they are working towards that end.

To me, the legitimacy of our government is worth getting it right. Isn't it to you?

eric.81 and Deckard like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Fine with me. Charge him and put him on trial for something that seems to be lesser than Edwards' violation. You don't have to remove him from office either. I don't really understand why you immediately brought up "whataboutism" (I really hate that term) when it seems to be something that is recent and similar to what they are implying Trump did.

They should have likely charged Hillary for her server issues as well, but didn't because of her position. There's some whataboutism for you :p

5. NewRoxFan

Whataboutism... any defense of trump's crimes and misdeeds by "well, what about Hillary, Obama, etc..." no matter how different the circumstances and stretched the comparison. As soon as the filings were made public, trump and his defenders immediately brought up Obama and Edwards.

Edwards was slime and deserved to be pushed into the garbage can of history (no surprise the guy later was involved in subprime loans and now is a ambulance-chasing personal injury lawyer). Just as trump does. The big difference is that trump appears to have gotten away with it (so far). And appears to have done much more, and much worse. All still to come. It will be interesting to watch you and his other defenders twist yourselves into even more distorted pretzels defending trump.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So I'm guessing you don't think the Edwards case is comparable. That's fine. Like I said the Edwards case seemed to be a more egregious campaign finance violation and that still didn't seem to rise to the level of guilt. If there is a crime that needs to be prosecuted and made an example out of then do it and see what the courts say. Trump is a big boy with a lot of money. He can defend himself.

Also, you don't have to get all tribal and black and white with your thinking and turn people simply into ones that are only for Trump or against Trump. It's ignores any kind of nuanced thinking and comes off as very simplistic. Sorry if that comes off as a bit rude, but you are continually and single mindedly focused/obsessed over Trump and any potential wrong doing that might have occurred. The constant crying of wolf makes it hard to pay attention or even care about any Trump related stuff anymore since everything that gets reported is sensationalized. The media circus is Trump and politics nearly 24/7 as if there isn't anything else going on in the world. You and others hyperfocus on Trump and Republicans as much as Cojete and Senator hyperfocus on foreigners, black people and Africans lol. Just at least recognize that you are very biased with politics and getting into an us versus them mentality doesn't help out anyone.

Space Ghost likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

FIFY.

I wonder if Bolton and Mueller have had a little talk.

This just keeps getting better and better.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think Trump and his administration has more clout than "foreigners".

Have you ever thought that Trump's "hyperfoucising" has significantly more merit?

I've noticed that this "both sides are bad" narrative wasn't as prevalent when Obama was in office. But when Trump comes in and is almost impossible to defend, this narrative of "mah both sides!!!" started spreading like wildfire.

9. No Worries

Let me restate this for you ...

If Mueller has a smoking gun, the Senate Republicans might very well let The Donald (aka Individual 1) keep running the country.

17 Angry Democrats.
    No Collusion.
    Totally clears the President.

10. No Worries

File this under ... What could go wrong?

Roger Stone associate Jerome Corsi sues Mueller, Justice, CIA, FBI, NSA for $350 million

The suit accuses the special counsel of blackmailing him to lie as part of a "legal coup d'etat" against President Donald Trump.

The conservative writer and conspiracy theorist Jerome Corsi filed a lawsuit on Sunday accusing special counsel Robert Mueller of blackmailing him to lie about President Donald Trump in the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

The suit, which seeks $350 million in actual and punitive damages in U.S. District Court in Washington, was filed six days after Corsi entered a formal complaint with the Justice Department alleging prosecutorial misconduct by Mueller.

Corsi, 72, the former Washington bureau chief of the conspiracy website InfoWars, accuses Mueller's office of having illegally leaked secret information from the grand jury investigating Russian election interference.

The suit also accuses the special counsel's office of having threatened him with prison unless he agreed to testify falsely that he served as a liaison between WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and the Republican political strategist Roger Stone, who was an adviser to Trump's presidential campaign.

NBC News reported last month that Corsi sent an email alerting Stone that WikiLeaks planned to release damaging information about emails stolen from John Podesta, who was chairman of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign — two months before WikiLeaks actually did so.

And it accuses the FBI, the CIA and the National Security Agency — all of whom are named as co-respondents — of having placed Corsi under illegal surveillance "at the direction of Mueller and his partisan Democrat, leftist, and ethically and legally conflicted prosecutorial staff."

The goal, the suit alleges, was to bring about a "'legal coup d'etat,' negating the will of the American voters who elected Donald J. Trump on November 6, 2016."

The suit repeats Corsi's contention that he never had any direct knowledge of WikiLeaks' plans, arguing that he simply deduced the coming email dump using his talents as a journalist.

Stone has said he had no communication with Corsi about Podesta's emails until after WikiLeaks published them.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

The Edwards affair sabotaged his career. He is a political footnote in history.

Sure, let’s use that as an example and precedent.

Nolen and MadMax like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And the Justice dept went after him. They weren't successful (acquitted on 1 count and deadlocked on 5 others felony counts) and gave up trying again. It tells you how difficult it was to prosecute John Edwards when the donors (one dead, one alive) wasn't forward coming.

This seems to be an easier case to prosecute given the star witness is his private lawyer who have admitted to the very crime.

Trump seems to know this and is playing the it’s his private money (doesn’t matter, the complexity of routing and hiding it, timing of it and his lawyer saying exactly what it is for is why it’s a much stronger case) and that even if it’s a crime, it should be only a civil penalty (fine, no jail time).

I also think the Trump case is worse since intention is clearer leading to a lesser chance that they didn’t really know what they did was not legal and that it had nothing to do with the campaign, he tried to cover his track with NDA, and he repeatedly lied about it until he can’t any longer.

Trump, as Edwards was, should be indicted and go through criminal trial. Of course that can’t hapoen while he’s president so we’ll have to see what the political process would bring.

SDNY:

"With respect to both payments, Cohen acted with the intent to influence the 2016 presidential election. Cohen coordinated his actions with one or more members of the campaign, including through meetings and phone calls, about the fact, nature, and timing of the payments. In particular, and as Cohen himself has now admitted, with respect to both payments, he acted in coordination with and at the direction of Individual-1."

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I was wondering when "Scooter" Libby or Oliver North would turn up...

14. NewRoxFan

So true, especially here...

No Worries likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Interesting... I clearly state Edwards was slime, clearly wrong, and correctly thrown in the garbage can of history (even if he wasn't convicted). Imagine that... me saying that about a *gasp* a Democrat! You? Well, for you to state this, you would have to then also agree that trump is also slime, clearly wrong, and also thrown in the garbage can of history (if not convicted). But... you don't. He is a republican. A member of *your* "tribe (if you will). So no matter what he does... you defend (regardless of how rich or how "big of a boy" trump is).

16. NewRoxFan

This guy... a former republican and a real Independent, ran against trump in 2016, is wondering...

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This. The moment Trump was elected, the professional and amateur media saturated the news with anti-Trump rhetoric. It became overwhelmingly difficult to pick out legit news and wishful fantasies. After 18 months, fatigue set in. We didnt get our nuclear wars with every leader who insulted Trump. The economy didn't crash and burn. Trump didn't turn the keys over to Putin. Trump didn't disband congress and take direct control of the military. About the only new thing we've learned is the hyper attention to Melania clothing.

But somehow pointing out the absurd fantasies of those fixated on Trump makes them an alt-right Trump fanatical supporter.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Keep on beating the **** out of strawmen or at best, trumblr blogs from individuals with no clout constantly blasted on right wing media as the "prevalent" mainstream view.

No one of serious clout or rational sense on this message board believed the economy was "instantly going to crash." We understand that the world's most massive economy has a property called inertia. Please feel obliged to quote mine me or the vast majority of posters here would claimed this "instantly going to crash the economy" nonsense.

Rewind yourself back to the 90s. Imagine if from that point of view, someone told you in the future there will be a president who labels the vast majority of press coverage of him as "enemy of the people". Imagine him telling you that the defense of this President's constant over the top rhetoric and constant insulting was that "he's just trolling the libtards". Imagine him telling you that the president "trolls" a large portion of his constituency on purpose because it excites his voting base.

Now tell me that you wouldn't believe that type of president wouldn't merit dominating the news cycle before Trump ever entered the picture.

#5298 fchowd0311, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    eric.81, Nolen and NewRoxFan like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't see robbie380 being tribal. I get his points, but don't agree with some of them.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For some, it's easy to confuse legit news from entertainment and from fantasies. The ability to discern is getting less and less it seems with today media.

It's also easy to confuse a higher chance of something as being a sure thing. For example, I think most people would agree there is a, let said, 1% increase in nuclear war with Trump. Very very few think that means nuclear war will happen, unless they have a poor understanding of what a very small increase means.