1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Think it's time to incorporate a ball-movement offense that gets everyone Involved.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dtitus1, Dec 7, 2018.

?

Ball Movement offense or ISO ball (Preditable) Offensw?

1. Ball Movement Offense

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
  2. ISO ball (Preditable) Offense?

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. tc0330

tc0330 Member

ball movement offense was the only reason why we won games last season

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm not excusing his lack of production I'm simply saying each missed three/layup from Harden and Paul costs us more - literally.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

his lack of production is also one of the many problems and he gets his share of the blame. that's what I'm simply saying

Tfor3 likes this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

I watched both Wolves and Jazz games.

It is more of the MDA's fault than Morey's.

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

Iso is bad because it heavily depends on one player. Bad night and we are out

6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Both Morey and MDA are too patient, this team can miss the playoffs.

Morey is waiting for MDA to make adjustment?

MDA is waiting for top heavy team and a Juggernaut bench?

7. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

This is how I remember it as well. The 1st half of last season was perhaps some of the most exciting Rockets basketball I've seen in years, but around the midway point, the offense slowed down and started to go more and more ISO. I would love to see the Rockets get back to that playing style again, I just don't know if we have the personnel for it. One thing is for sure, we aren't winning jack if we keep playing this way.

smp likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

U gotta play the hand yer dealt... and let the chips fall where they may...

For years we have been way to Harden heavy... folks always said, 'what do u expect, hes the only guy that can create... everybody else is scrubs...etc...' Just bc Harden is your best option - u cant rely so heavily upon him...

regularly we ran harden into the ground all season... get a good reg season record... then hit the playoffs like a brick wall - cause that kinda 1 player dominance doesnt get it in the post season... or an injury or 2 and we're dead in the water cause we're running too short rotations bc a third of our roster is unproven, undeveloped and unacclimated (ie Nene goes down and keeping Trez on the bench while expecting harden to cover the likes of Pau and LMA... that was just stupid)
    If guys suck... put em out there and show that so Morey has to make a move... but letting Qi sit on the bench for X years aint helping the cause...
    Additionally, there have been plenty of times over the years when MDA leaves starters in waaaaaay past a game being decided (ie up by 30 on the Knicks last year and all our starters playing in the 4th...) - that cant happen... screw guys working their stat line and MDA pumping up his offensive efficiency - we gotta think long term...

Not to mention, just getting more guys on the floor can create a synergy... guys are happy when they feel they are contributing - and thats contagious...

We gotta play a deeper rotation - period. it does no good to have a good reg season record if we hit the playoffs and our guys are gassed... Previously I'd rather have been the 4th or 5th seed and well rested - than limp into the playoffs as the 1st or 2nd seed... This season we need to use the regular season to run long rotations... figure out what we got... hopefully a couple guys develop... starters get and stay healthy.... and its a new season when the playoffs start!

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're playing the hand being dealt and the results are showing.

10. kjayp

Prob is that we're doing what we're doing out of desperation - rather than by design...

and right now this seems to be a team that dgaf or lacks confidence... that needs to be corrected... eliminate the uncertainty and confusion...

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick Adelman

RyanB, smp and jamisonrocket like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont know. signing a bunch of min level players and expecting them to be every night replacements to be your depth looked like much of the design. Especially when a scrub like mcw was the first recruit. but i guess you could say expecting to get better production could of been desperation. and so here we all are

13. kjayp

its the diff between - "we brought you in bc we have a high level of confidence that you can be a solid contributor..." and "nothing else is working - so we might as well give u a shot..." lol

This team is horrible at managing the psyche of its players... Morey is a numbers guy who doesnt factor in chemistry... MDA runs from confrontation (Melo in NY / Harden game 6 vs Spurs) and kills guys confidence by kickin them to the curb when they hit a rough patch and arent a superstar (Ryno)... while the lower level players never seem to know what to expect - am i starting or am i out of the rotation all together (MCW/Clark)... or is just resistant (Melo/Gerald 'the rotations are what they are' Green)

Thats not even going into the whole Bzdelik/Melo/MDA/CP3 dysfunction...

It's about managing people and egos - and we dont do it... I'm not saying placate people - I'm saying maximize their contribution... whether thats by getting them pumped up and confident so they're going all out, whether thats using the guilt angle of being part of a team and having to do your share of the dirty work (defense/rebounding) or whatever it takes so guys put forth their best effort night in and night out...

14. RyanB

RyanB Member

It's becoming increasingly obvious that this offensive strategy is predictable and that they don't have the right players to execute it, which means excellent shooters.
    The over exaggeration of exclusively using 3 pointers, layups and free throws, is a dumb strategy.
    Harden was killing it from midrange in 2015, and is an excellent cutter, we do need a Popovich system to get out of this joke of a season

15. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

I wouldn't mind seeing an adelman play once in a while. Funny how two of the greatest guards help run a motion offense that worked with the whole 5 players in a triangle offense.

People forgot Dream had to rest and Rudy still got his team to score with other plays that involved cuts and ball movement. This current offense sucks eggs chucking 3s all day.

RyanB likes this.
  16. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We're 7th in offense and 25th in defense.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Freedom of movement calls .. . (being one sided) . . .. . hurt our defense alot

Rocket RIver

18. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Sometimes these stats can be misleading. There have been many quarters this year where the rockets score in the teens (like 15-19 points only). But in other quarters they will score like 35. So it averages out to 7th in offense. Like others have said - feast or famine.

You want consistency on offense not feast or famine.

RyanB likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhh...I disagree, being top 10 in offense is good no matter how you slice it, guy's just gotta hit open shots. But still, I agree we do need to add some stuff to the offense to get it to work better. Our defense should also be able to keep us/win games when our offense isnt rolling.

foggy94 likes this.
  20. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Iso Ball represents not making sacrifices. Its unfair to ask a guy to never touch the ball and switch defensively when another player touches it and never guards his man on the other end