1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Goldschmidt anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by asianballa23, Nov 20, 2018.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Looks like the Cardinals got him.

2. djl3485

djl3485 Member

Didn't get much in return....only top prospect from the Cardinals was Kelly and he isn't even in the top 100. Best thing they probably got was a comp pick. We could have easily gave up some our lesser prospects to get Gold but the Diamondbacks were probably pressing for higher rated ones from us.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Cards over paid for a first baseman that is a one year rental and (even though he is good) costs $13,000,000.

The best player they got was Weaver.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would have gladly paid more than that to get a guy that would have made our lineup the best in the game

Bukauskas is better than anyone in that deal and we have good depth to do something like that

right1 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

If they make it to the World Series it’s not an over pay. To me, that is the mentality Luhnow needs to have ,

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd be ecstatic if the astros gave up a similar package yesterday and had Goldy playing 1B and hitting in that lineup next year.

HTown2017Champs and right1 like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I suppose it depends on what you think a similar package from the Astros would be.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Comparable to that...I'm not certain, but those guys aren't top prospects.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Weaver was a top 50 prospect. A lot of this depends on whether you like Weaver or not.

Spacemoth likes this.
  10. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

This time last year, Kelly was a top 30ish prospect, rated by mlb.com as the 2nd best catcher prospect. Certainly his times in the bigs took some shine off his star, but that is why Arizona was able to get him in the trade. It is a gamble for them, but it could pay off big time. But to say they are not top prospects is not altogether accurate.