1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets in full TANK mode

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

They're gonna go 19-63, then blow the team up like JFK's head.

samtaylor and psaman17 like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep. I think we have the 9-11 picks right now, not a bad spot at all and a pick that could revitalize our core and give us a great contract. It would give us a prime asset to trade for a superstar OR the player could become an all-star caliber player himself.

If the Rockets have not turned the corner by end of december they can forget it.

Vivi likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tilman won't allow that, and neither will Morey. They will continue to operate as if this team can contend and that it's just "a piece or two away". Also Harden and Paul will play enough games to get this team to about 45 wins or so.

Obviously...I'd like your approach, but it's just not going to happen.

Truly a lost season in every sense.

psaman17 likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i really have no idea how much they should wait, but i just want them to do what's best for the franchise, i'm all for waiting a bit more and see if we can get back on track, i still trust this group and the front office. But if nothing changes at some point, they should really give up and prepare for the next season instead of doing some panic kind of trades losing multiple picks for role players with limited upside or something similar, in the end it wouldn't be that much in terms of wasted time, we're talking about few months. Grizzlies were a bottom 3 team in the league 6 months ago, now they're where they're with Jaren Jackson, no reason why we shouldn't be able to do it eventually.

5. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

Clutchfans is obsessed with tanking....2 games below 500 with 62 games to play. The Texans were 0-3. You really want 60 games of jackassery in hopes of getting another stud. Weak!

bj3175 and mockster like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I dunno, Morey isn't a Tillman guy in that he didn't hire him. If this season continues to be a failure someone else could get in his ear about 'fixing' the problem if given a year. Sort of like how Magic did with the new Lakers owner.

I guess we're going to see what kind of owner Tillman is through all of this.

I do think you are right about Harden, he simply won't sit out games, he just loves to ball...CP3 very well could miss most of this season. I'm cool with that. If the dream scenario happened and we were to get a top 5 pick then hopefully it would be best for CP3 as he won't have to carry any of the load anymore.

The main difference between winning franchises and mediocre franchises is this.

Some teams, mediocre ones, strive to make the playoffs.
    Winning franchises strive for championships.

The rockets can certainly make a few trades and get into the playoffs. Certainly. But it just won't make them good enough to win a championship. I just don't see Otto Porter or someone similar taking us to contender status.

I get your point but the NFL is such a different sport. In the NFL you can sneak into the playoffs, get hot at the right moment, and win a championship.

If you have a 5-8 seed in the NBA it's just not happening with any regularity. I know, the Rockets did it, but that's an exception and not the rule. Usually, 2-4 teams are legit contenders in the NBA. You're either one of those teams or you are not.

Last year we were, but with CP3 aging right before our eyes and Harden hitting the big 3-0 soon...I don't see our future as being very bright. We're going to have to rebuild the moment CP3 hits the cliff (I don't think he has quite yet but will..in a year or two...) why not do so now?

Homey the Clown and Vivi like this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I love tanking so I can score some lower bowl seats. Real fans still go to games with good viewing seats, bye bye 2017-18 Rockets fans. They ain't tanking, the first to go would be the guy responsible for bringing MVP to the Rockets. Lay off Maury.

8. psaman17

psaman17 Member

How many first round picks can we get for the reigning MVP?

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is why I think Morey will be the GM for another team in a few years. I think he'll have better opportunities with younger teams and more assets and a better chance of competing without the multi-year rebuilding the Rockets will need. It was already reported that he was down the line with Philadelphia this offseason. I imagine more opportunities will arise. Not saying it will happen, but I can certainly see it. Won't shock me at all.

Tillman's openly come out and said he wants to compete every year. I don't envision him wanting to tank in the first couple years of his ownership.

10. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Would love to nab Zion, RJ, or Bol if possible.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  12. Homey the Clown

They obviously won't tank but it's refreshing to see fans here not being homers and instead being realists lol.

13. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Lol Morey didnt tank with K Mart as the best player, he's not doing it with Harden

14. mockster

mockster Member

Clutchfans is made up into Debbie downers, complainers, people who panic after every adversity and people who really have no knowledge in basketball management much less basketball itself

Vanilla Thunder, alethios and HP3 like this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

I wish I could like a comment more than once.

mockster likes this.
  16. Homey the Clown

Not everyone here are delusional homers and blind optimists. Gotta balance it out somehow.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, usually the negative people have extremely dumb takes. And there are way more of those idiots here than are delusional homers(we barely have any of those). There are people who are negative here that arent dumb and dont make dumb criticisms. What is being delusional...not wanting to tank???

In fact I prefer homers to negative idiots who dont know ball....or bball management.

mockster likes this.
  18. txn

txn Member

No team is in full tank mode until they trade to get Jeremy Lin - the ultimate player who help you to tank. So no, I think Rockets still try to win.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I hate you for making me laugh at that.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The team is losing and playing bad. If you want to claim that isn't true, then you must have a lot of faith in your ability to Polyanna spin it like a lawn mower.

If you are not claiming that, then what do you expect to get talked about?

CVcrew likes this.