1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say hello to... Kevin Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Visagial, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

How about a little levity for Sunday morning? I found an interview with Kelvin Cato. Funny how he can't catch a football - he's not so good with basketballs either!

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/basketball/article/0,1426,MCA_466_2601515,00.html

Say hello to... Kevin Cato
    January 25, 2004

Rockets power forward Kelvin Cato is in his seventh NBA season, starting his career with two seasons in Portland. He was drafted in the first round in 1997 by the Mavs and traded to Portland. The 6-11, 273-pound Cato's strengths are rebounding and shot-blocking. The Atlanta native played one year at South Alabama before transferring to Iowa State. He has career averages of 5.5 points and 5.4 rebounds.

What was the first pair of basketball shoes that you loved?

"Air Jordans. My mom bought them for me for Christmas, but I didn't get them until after New Year's because I was in trouble.

So Jordan was your favorite player?

"David Robinson was my favorite player. Patrick Ewing, Jordan, Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Dr. J (Julius Erving). Magic. Those were the superstars back then."

Did you ever want to be a guard?

"No, I just liked playing. Baseball was actually my first love. I just got too big for the uniform in high school. I started getting talked about how my clothes didn't fit. I was 6-4. Everybody else was 5-1. I quit baseball when I was 16."

Have any hidden talents?

"I have a lot of hidden talents that need to stay hidden. I guess I'm good at video games. I love EA Sports NCAA College Football 2003 and 2004, and I kill guys in Tiger Woods golf, PlayStation 2 or X-Box. I've created my own golfer. He looks like (teammate) Cuttino Mobley. He's got the goatee and everything."

Name something you can't do.

"I can't catch a football consistently and I can't hit a curve ball."

Who's your hardest matchup?

"It used to be Shaq (Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal) when I played center, but now that I've switched positions I have a tough matchup every night - T.D. (Tim Duncan), K.G. (Kevin Garnett), (Andrei) Kirilenko and (Pau) Gasol."

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Glad to see his lack of catching ability isn't limited solely to basketball.....:D

3. Saad

Saad Member

Kevin Cato, eh?

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He should add Jermaine O'Neil to that list.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

When I saw this on the front page of Clutchfans I thought we had gotten rid of Cato:D

6. mulletman

mulletman Member

what about hakeem?? :(

7. Just B

Just B Member

I'm sure they were expecting a much longer answer to this question! :p

But I'm glad people are finally starting to notice Cato more. The guy is really earning his keep this season, and there's a lot of talk about Cato and the MIP award.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

9. mrwriter

mrwriter Member

lol, same here. I thought he got traded to Memphis.