1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would make for good moderators in the D&D forum?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I disagree. I would like to see the D&D mods use an extremely heavy hand to keep D&D threads civil.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's an absolutely terrible idea to have mods start to delete threads because they don't agree with the content or believe it to be "fake news". If it's bs, it'll fall off the front page quickly after being mocked for a while and fade into obscurity. It's not really a problem

TheresTheDagger and cml750 like this.
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

I do not think a mod needs to call out conspiracy theories. We can do that ourselves with debate like we always do. A mod only needs to keep any arguments from getting out of hand to the point where they become personal. A mod should not dictate the content of the threads and decide if they are accurate. They should only decide if the participants in the debate go too far or break the rules. This section of the forum has functioned well despite the lack of tight moderation. Very little needs to change.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think it could be for the reason he admits that he would let too much go, but I don't see him unfairly wielding it, unlike most of the other conservative posters and a fair share of the liberals.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Dozens of respected members have DMed me saying that I should be the moderator. I humbly accept their endorsement.

I was previously a mod on a few other forums that died sad, lonely deaths many years ago. So, I am qualified.

As a libertarian I find the takes of almost everyone on this subforum to be ridiculous, so I would be impartial.

TY Buck.

#145 Haymitch, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except for BS stories haven't fallen off and we've seen in real life debunked stories have long lives. If they did fall off that would be fine. As far as moderator, there is no way I could do it. I don't have the time on a consistent basis to fulfill the duties of the job.

Alex Jones made a career out of fake stories. The birther crap lasted for years. Jade Helm crap lasted for a long time.

There is no reason a respectable site should have to endure crap like fake stories. Allowing them a free home will only encourage more of them.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sure, but this place doesn't need to trash bin for debunked stories. Facebook has done that for a long time and it became unbearable.

I am never nor would I ever advocate for a mod deciding if threads are accurate. If the stories have no basis in reality and go against established facts then they have no business on the website.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen BS threads coming from posters of all ideologies and honestly they don't affect me so I see no reason to bother with it. I would want moderators who err on the side of not interfering while still ensuring the rules aren't broken...or if they are broken they aren't broken too badly or too often. I think warnings should be given when possible rather than immediate action in instances that aren't too egregious. A lot of the time, that's all it takes.

When it comes to thread posting, I have no skin in the game, I've only created 2 threads in my whole time here, one of which was yesterday, the other of which was talking about why I thought the Texans would pass on a QB and draft Clowney.

I just fundamentally believe that mods that feel they have to insert themselves that much into the picture are not the way to go. It's like a Joey Crawford situation, a ref that thinks the fans come to see him. A mod has to know that their opinion as to the substance of a contribution is irrelevant. They are only there to keep things from getting ugly, not to dictate what thoughts are acceptable when it comes to political commentary....that's why it's so hard to find good mods for something like the D&D.

9. likestohypeguy

If the forum software here allows for a mass subforum reset, i'll moderate. Every time it gets a little too unruly in here, obliterate Zion, rinse, repeat. Matrix style.

Brando2101 likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Actually 5 created threads but who’s counting.
    FA696A6D-02B8-4B45-A7A0-F9D16EBD5985.png

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't think mods should be delete-thread happy. I think erring on the side of letting threads stay is the right way. But this site doesn't deserve to have crap bogus stories posted here. It isn't good for the site.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, good catch, I guess I forgot about the other 3. Either way, point is that it is incredibly rare for me to post a thread.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

I nominate WEB. No skin in the game.

Harrisment likes this.
  15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

So Bobby’s got enough dirt on you to get unbanned but not to get mod privileges? I still think it’s nudes he has. Change your iCloud password Clutch.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I think we're pretty close to agreement then. If someone is out posting about putting things in the water turning the friggin frogs gay or posting nonsense about Donald Trump being part of NAMBLA then it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to delete them, but you'd have to find a 100% down the middle non partisan to make those judgement calls to stop all hell from breaking loose if they were stories that ANYONE actually believed.

I think any deleting of threads in the D&D should be handled with extreme discretion because it's simply not worth the nonsense that could come from it being done wrongfully.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

I suggest @Clutch should let whoever he picks make an alternate account to mod with. The mod should post with their regular account and when needed change to the mod account to take care of business. Keeping it anonymous will help to ease any hard feelings and will keep the political leanings of the mod private. The mod can then be judged by their performance as a mod free from the politics. The politcal leanings of a good and fair moderator should never be discernible from the job they do.

#157 cml750, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    JuanValdez, Rocket River and jcf like this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think this forum should be the wild wild west, personally.

The only reason I'd ban anyone is for doxxing, spam, or harassment.

Use the ignore feature or otherwise trust the veterans to self-police.

jcf and Bobbythegreat like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member