1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018/2019 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Unbelievable. 2-2. What a farce... but a perfect fit for this Nations League round. Could've won three out of four.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Can anyone explain wtf Löw was thinking with these substitutions?

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ramsey has had one good season, back in 2014. Otherwise he is mediocre at best. Another one of failed Wenger projects.

Not very disciplined at all and selfish. As a midfielder, he thinks he is a striker and keeps running into the box, leaving the midfield and defense exposed to counter. He will convert a few spectacular goals but his conversion rate is not great.

The other issue with him is his position. He should be a deep lying midfielder but he wants to be an AM with a thirst for goals. He is just not good enough as an AM.

He does have a very good work rate though, just not the quality.

Emery was actually thinking of making him one of the players he would build with but he has fallen out of favor. Emery's disciplined and structured approach to the game vs Ramsey's gung ho style were bound to clash.

Arsenal actually had an offer for him on the table for around 175k per week I believe, but he was trying to get more. That changed with Emery benching him and then eventually Arsenal pulled the offer from the table....which led to Ramsey whining to the media.

IMO, the only reason Bayern is looking at him is because he is a free transfer. Otherwise, I seriously doubt they would make an offer for him.

But hey, who knows....maybe he turns it around at Bayern.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Agree. I expected more out of Ramsey over the years.

No Ljungberg, no Pires.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

What a comeback. I went to bed when Germany scored their second (my alarm goes off each morning at 5 AM). I did not expect this.

I like that we start to play with passion again, and that our best players are actually young. I do not think that we are better than Germany and France. But this was a nice boost. And if we qualify for the EC, who knows how much better we are at in 2 years.

Like I said I did not watch the second half of the game. But when I read the recap I was really surprised with the substitutions.

Yung-T and Raz like this.
  6. Raz

Raz Member

Congratulations... I guess. The draw was a complete joke, our guys could've been up 3-0 or 4-0 with ease, then somehow lost control. But that's a quality as well, comeback in matches that are already lost. After the last couple of years you guys deserve this. Since the other teams in the Final Four are Switzerland, England and Portugal, I'll probably even root for Oranje.

Speaking of the Nations League, I was sceptic prior to this new format but like it now. Way better than all those meaningless Friendlies. Talked to a friend about this last week and he got it right when he said, regular Friendlies are like playing Poker with no money at all, noone takes it serious. Nations League on the other hand is like playing at least for a few bucks, so there's some sort of effort in it.
    I agree with critics that say the schedules are overloaded, but these matches aren't the problem. Next month the Qualifier draw will produce tons of pointless games like San Marino v Germany, Malta v England and Liechtenstein v Spain. We could easily get rid of them by extending the Nations League system, but the smaller countries would revolt.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I've tried to come up with alternatives to the bloated schedule and it's nearly impossible.

I ended up with the idea of some league or tournament for smaller nations where they compete for WC and EC places/quali, whereas the top of the world are automatically seeded or only play qualifiers vs the best teams of the Small Nation Tournament/League.
    Would also give small nations a meaningful tournament where they can win and be excited, instead of losing vs the bigger nations.

8. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I didn't see all of our game vs Switzerland and i'm mostly confused also a bit disappointed from the result.

Nonetheless i do agree that the Nations league played out better than i thought it would.

I also agree with people arguing about the schedule but give it time, it's only the first time.
    Players might get used to it or the organizers would learn from that and adjust(maybe to hopeful from me).

9. Raz

Raz Member

The Nations League rankings would be a great parameter. If you're not at least in League C, you're not gonna qualify for the EURO or the World Cup anyways. So the teams from League D get a chance to rise to League C and be part of the Qualifiers. But any team lower than League C would be excluded. Simple as that. Would save us some useless matches, but like I said... the Federations of San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein, etc. will veto that by any means.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Insane body for someone who just turned 18:

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What's the plan for him?

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not eligible to play until January, so he'll practice with our first team and then should see playing time behind Robben and Ribery, as Bayern promised to give him first team minutes.

Then after Ribery and Robben leave Bayern next summer, he will be a very important piece and compete for the starting winger gig (kinda depends on our transfers tho, new Kicker rumor is we are looking for two world-class wingers).

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Really? I know he's a talented kid but I'm surprised that to see him going from Vancouver to the Bayern 1st team. He's obviously going to have to earn it but that's still impressive. Good for him and good for Canada.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's understandable if you watch Bayern this season, the whole team and especially Robbery struggled even vs 4th division teams, so nearly every decent winger presents an upgrade. Plus all of your wingers are injury-prone af.

Hope the kid impresses from day one, seems to have the right mentality.

15. Raz

Raz Member

Just glad he grew up in Canada and won't get steamrolled by the temperatures we currently have.

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Real down 0:3 vs Eibar, that team is a mess this season.

17. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Yeah, didn't see the game but i feel like i should be more surprised from the result than i'm right now.

Anyway personally i want Atletico to win the Spanish title so i'm happy as long as Real and Barca struggles.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This defense smh, score three goals vs Düsseldorf and still manage to only end up with a tie. Too bad we didn't sell Boateng, the 40mil offer from PSG is looking great in retrospect.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

23:17 goal ratio btw, kinda absurd for a club like Bayern.

Not sure about Kovac, subbing in Hummels and Rafinha because he's scared of tying or losing vs Düsseldorf was a bi*** move and not what Bayern stands for.
    Either we sack the guy because he doesn't know how to handle this rotation or we make an extreme cut and replace most of this terrible squad, beginning in winter.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dodi Lukebakio.