1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uber v Lyft - Driver and Rider Comparison

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'm interviewing for a strategy position at Uber and I know they'll ask questions related to competition. I've only used Lyft once.

Any drivers/riders out there that use both? What are your thoughts?

Thanks ClutchUniverse!

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I try to use Lyft but not because I see any big difference, although often Lyft is cheaper during "peak" hours. I also just think saying the word "uber" is annoying for some reason.

I've talked to a few Lyft drivers about Uber. Most use both. One guy in particular made several comments about how Lyft was actually first to do several functions (like creating a stop along the way) and that Uber then followed suit. He also mentioned that Uber's pay structure was different and they would only pay you once a week, or something along those lines, whereas Lyft paid you that day. This conversation was well over a year ago so maybe things have changed and maybe he was just completely full of it...but it's what he said.

Big MAK likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lyft sends me discounts all the time. Uber never does. Consequently I pretty much only use Lyft

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No difference. Drivers use both. I use an app called Farewell that lets me see both prices for trips.

KingCheetah and Big MAK like this.
  5. Granville

Granville Member

The company I work for prefers that we use Lyft whenever possible because it's less expensive. From talking to drivers, most say they earn a greater percentage of the fare from Lyft.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i prefer to use lyft since it's usually cheaper. drivers use both usually.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Does Uber still not let you tip through the app? thats why i hated Uber.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

You can tip on Uber now.

No Worries likes this.
  9. da_juice

da_juice Member

I use both (I live in DC where the metro is a mess and a car is expensive). Lyft tends to be cheaper but their algorithm seems to be off and drivers always complain about the GPS. I used to have a Lyft commuter plan which was like prepaid rides to work for a month.

Another compant to bring up is Via. I believe they're only on the east coast. Their default ride is similar to an Uber pool express (corner to corner instead of exact locations) and you have 30 seconds to get in the car as a rider. They never seem to have enough drivers tho so a lot of my via rides have been free for taking too long.

Good luck!

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Same here. Lyft always sends discounts. Lyft drivers are also nicer.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I rarely use ride sharing service when I'm in town, but Lyft definitely gives you discounts. I did one in town before my trip to Chicago in June, got 10 ride discounts to use during the trip. Haven't use it since and still get discounts monthly ranging from 25-50% off

good luck on the interview!

12. Papa John

Papa John Member

Pretty fun. Is that a san francisco position? How did you find the type of listing?

13. TheresTheDagger

I drive for both. Ask away....

14. TheresTheDagger

This has been available on the app for over a year now. Uber finally gave in.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup. Seems like I’m getting weekly discounts that are automatically applied as well. Almost makes it a no brainer.

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I've tried both in Houston, Dallas, Austin, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Mexico City. Lyft has been cheaper in all of them. Quality of the rides is the same.

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I switched to Lyft exclusively a few years ago and never looked back. While most drivers drive for both companies, Lyft is just a better company in general with much better customer support and customer advantages. Every now and then I'm randomly rewarded with half-priced rides from Lyft, just for using them.

Meanwhile, I've had Uber lock me out of my account 5-6 times and even "cancel" my account for some reason... every time they've done so, it took me a few calls or emails to get my account back and they never gave me reasons for why my account was closed or flagged. Speaking the drivers themselves too, they seem to prefer working for Lyft more as well.

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well, I agree with the pro Lyft crowd problem for me is #1 I am in San Juan a good part of the year and there is no Lucy just Uber, second if you have an Amex Platinum you have Uber Credits every month to use.

Lets say I'm in Houston I just use my Uber Credits enough to get me to my 15 bucks free then basically use Lyft

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I prefer Lyft but I'll usually check which is cheaper before choosing. Sometimes (though less now) there will be "peak" hours on one app but not the other.

Also sometimes in the boonies I'll have to use Uber since there may not be enough lyft drivers actually around. Also I believe Lyft allows you to schedule pickup in advance which is great for early morning flights I dont need to worry if there is a person driving around at 4am.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thanks Mr. Dagger. If you had to decide between driving for one only, what would Uber need to say to convince you to drive for them?