1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New emphasis on Freedom of movement in the nba: do you like it or not?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If I wanted to see scoring, i'd watch the Allstar Game, which I haven't for years.

Caesar, da_juice and hakeem94 like this.
  2. WestendMassive

I hate it. Too many stoppages of play with no reason to stop it. It's tedious to watch

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  3. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

Not a Fan at all. I don't want to see 140 point games. I want to see some great defense and inside game.

4. theimpossibles1

LMAO. The first time I hear someone say "freedom of movement yo" I am walking off the court, never to return.

Caesar, marky :), Swiss Roll and 3 others like this.
  5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

To those that don't like the call, remember, this isn't just put into place for scoring. It removes judgement calls from that part of the game entirely (at least in principle). The referees no longer have to think, "is this a minor hold, or a major one". The call should be a foul regardless. It also should create some uniformity across officials as well. The issue is, in practice will this hold up? Will the warriors get called for their holds and such? I'm not so sure.

da_juice, snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wish they would leave the freakin' game alone for a few years. This was a stupid idea. It's like Silver is bored with his job and feels compelled to tinker with the game we love just because he can. If a team is able to play decent defense, despite being hamstrung by Silver and the refs, while retaining their explosive offense (teams, say, like the Rockets or Oakland), they might go far. Adjusting your defense to this "new, screwed up NBA world" is going to be a challenge. What an awful time to lose a great defensive coach. We are feeling that loss now.

da_juice and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Between the rule changes, the Rockets being bad, and just having more **** to do as I continue to get older; I find myself increasingly disinterested in the league. I used to live breath eat and sleep for the league. Now? I only get updates through clutchfans. I simply can't force myself to care anymore

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adam Silver: Rule changes boosting offense as intended

CLEVELAND -- The increase around the NBA in scoring this season has been a hot topic among coaches and players.

Commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday he believes the league's new rules that have led to more offense are going well.

"We had a call with our competition committee last week, which is made up of coaches, GMs, owners, players, officials to discuss just that," Silver said at a news conference to announce Cleveland as the 2022 All-Star Game host. "And the consensus, or the strong feeling from the group was that the rule changes were happening as we intended."

The league-wide scoring average of 112.3 would be the highest in a season since 1970-71, when it was 112.4. Of the 30 NBA teams, 19 are averaging 110 points this season; six did so last season.

Silver said the intent of the new rules was to cut down on defensive players clutching and grabbing.

"The question that seems to be coming back from some of the coaches and players is in essence is how much physicality will be allowed on defense," Silver said. "Everybody's feeling their way through this a little bit. What we're hearing is the teams will adjust to wherever we end up, they just want to make sure there is consistency across the league."

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The KINGS dropped 146 last night. The KINGS.

All but 1 team's fouls per game have increased due to this rule. Some teams have increased their FPG by over SIX!

More points? Okay... but at the expense of MORE stoppages. It doesn't make sense. The game flow is being disrupted more. Who cares what the final numbers are, the actual gameplay has been mucked up making the product less enjoyable to even the casual fan.

Pace of play rising across the league? I think that's just natural evolution.

It's like someone wanting to improve the economy so they make $20 bills worth $40 across the board, but now, you can only transact in cash. Nobody really gets anywhere.

The NBA is using the wrong metric to gauge success.

12. what

what Member

The Kings have the second fastest Pace in the league right now.
    I mean yes freedom of movement is a factor but it isn't all that surprising to see the Kings put up that many points.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This reply kind of annoys me.

Yes, teams will always adjust, doesn't mean it's a good change. They will adjust because they have to.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I do not like the rule simply because it makes it EASIER for GSW to win games. And they do not need more help.

The BEST way to defend GSW was beat down their frail shooters. The more they got bodied and tired, the more difficult it was for them to maintain their shooting. Now that they can run free, it makes it easier.

Adam Silver made it EASIER for a FIVE ALL STAR team to beat other teams.

(All the while, the moving screens that ALSO help GSW don't get punished. That's the additional kick in the crotch.)

MJ19 likes this.
  15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Only one solution, stop watching and send a message. College basketball was always considered real basketball and its even more true now.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I had a thread earlier in the year about the job Silver has been doing - this sealed it for me. I would prefer Stern to be back. Stern as much as he was a dictator did nothing to the extent that Silver has done to change the game and acquiesce to corporate sponsorship and money. Yeah more offense generally means higher ratings (ie: Chicks dig the long ball). Stern was not big on changing the rules of the game too much. The hand checking rules were one thing Stern did but that was to help a bit more when it came to not give the defense too much of an advantage. And of course the limited zone rules (which zone defense was not NEW to the game of basketball just not used in the NBA)

This change and the 14 second rule just completely changed the way the teams have to play. Its extremely hard to watch casual games now (and of course Rockets games) for me. Maybe ratings are up for the casual fan (which is really all the NBA/Silver care about since they make up the large majority of advertising revenue etc) but its just really really hard to watch. Defense has literally been thrown out the door in today's NBA.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

HOT TAKE.

A hunch from what I've seen so far about the way they're calling fouls on post defenders. I think post play might be BACK (for a select few talented players), but nobody realizes it yet.

If you go to work in the post you seem to be rewarded by getting to the line more often, or, the defender, who is trying to avoid the foul, backs off and allows the post player to take a more efficient shot.

Of course it still hurts the Rockets. And Harden who used to play solid post defense. Now he's getting called for fouls when he bodies up and the refs arbitrarily decide it's time to blow their whistle.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So you say there are new rules in place? ........

:mad:

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am liking it more and more. Rox just did not catch on.

So many people pretending not to like Offense but when the Rox score 122 per game they are excited.

Teams have to find new ways to defend that or shoot better percentages.

20. MJ19

MJ19 Member

I hate it very very much. Pretty stupid that you can invest over $200M in a player contract and then rules change overnight that significantly affect how the game is played and the personnel that you might need. Oh yeah, and lets benefit the GSW. It is becoming unwatchable.