1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans S Andre Hal has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stay strong Dre and best wishes

2. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Andre's cancer is in remission !!

Great news for him, his family, and friends

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/texans-safety-andre-hals-lymphoma-remission-172928749.html

Update privacy choices
    SPORTS
    Texans safety Andre Hal's lymphoma in remission

Shalise Manza Young
    Yahoo SportsSeptember 26, 2018, 5:29 PM GMT
    Texans and safety Texans and safety Andre Hal announced on Wednesday that the 26-year-old’s lymphoma is in remission. (AP)
    Less than four months after announcing he had been diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma, a type of cancer that attacks the infection-fighting lymphatic system, Houston Texans safety Andre Hal and the team announced he’s in remission.

‘Physicians have declared his disease is presently in remission’

“It’s a lot bigger day than football,” coach Bill O’Brien said at the podium. “Andre Hal’s Hodgkin’s in is remission.”

Just as O’Brien was beginning his news conference, the Texans’ posted a statement on Twitter from team physician Dr. James Muntz:

“Andre Hal has been undergoing treatments for his Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Andre has made dramatic improvements and his treating physicians have declared his disease is presently in remission,” it read. “Andre will continue to be monitored while he advances through his protocols.”

“Dre never wavered in his belief that he would beat it and he has,” O’Brien said.

Blurry vision led to diagnosis
    Hal spoke after O’Brien, and said he was experiencing blurry vision during spring OTA practices, which led to testing. An MRI uncovered lymphoma in his armpit and stomach.

He’s been on the reserve/non-football illness list since his diagnosis, but Hal never stopped working out, and even decided on his treatment plan based on his desire to play this season.

“I didn’t want to do chemo because I didn’t want to miss this year; I wanted to play this year,” he said. “I knew in my heart that I wanted to come back and play, so I didn’t want to do chemo. So I did, they call it a less harsh drug. So I did Rituxan by IV. I did that once a week for a month, and the cancer went away.”

Hal also needed five weeks of high-dose vitamin C infusions after the Rituxan treatments.

He never wavered in his faith and his spirit,” Texans trainer Geoff Kaplan said. “He did everything inside and outside the box. This is the best-case scenario. He’s had a remarkable response.”

Waiting for green light
    Hal is the second Houston player in recent years to battle cancer. Offensive lineman David Quessenberry was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in June 2014, a few months after O’Brien was named head coach.

Quessenberry underwent treatment for two years, but worked his way back and made his regular-season NFL debut at the end of last season. He is now on the Titans’ practice squad.

Hal, a 2014 seventh-round pick out of Vanderbilt who played in 61 games with 38 starts in his first four seasons, including starting all 16 games last year, is now waiting for the green light to return to practice.

“I’m waiting on the trainers and the doctors to tell me when they’re going to clear me or not,” he said. “I’ve been working out the whole time; I never stopped working out. I was obsessed. I wanted to get back on the field.

“That obsession made me do all the things I had to do. I did acupuncture. I had a long talk with Tiffany Smith [the wife of Texans’ vice president Rick Smith, who has also battled cancer], she introduced me to different people so I could learn the natural way to do it. I wanted to keep my body, want to keep my strength, so she told me a lot of ways to do that too.

“And I had faith, man. I had faith in God and faith in myself that I was going to beat this.”

More from Yahoo Sports:
    Ex-Raiders player with rare brain disorder hospitalized
    MattHarvey has one team he won’t sign with
    Steelers legend to RB Bell: Fake injuries to stay healthy
    Pete Thamel: Meet the country’s most unconventional young coach

Subscribe to The Yahoo Sports NFL Podcast
    Apple PodcastsStitcherGoogle Podcasts

2 Reactions
    What to read next

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Great news. Hope he doesn't rush back though; most important is his long-term health.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wow!!!!!! Man that’s excellent news. Way to go Dre

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Return prognosis is 3 weeks.

7. conquistador#11

just in time to intercept mariotto three times

Fulgore likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yikes! He has a lot to deal with.

11. tobster

tobster Member

This has to make him an instant legend in these parts... A lot to overcome... A LOT

the11mingdynasty likes this.