1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo is struggling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Oct 21, 2018.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think he needs a pretty even dispersal... and the key is gonna be knowing when to take which route...

Obviously he's gonna have to take open 3s when theyre there - thats our game... and I think he will do that reasonably well once he gets acclimated...I think sometimes he hesitates bc he's trying to do the right thing... he's not getting the ball and just firing it up GG style... he's hesitating to see if he should be working it in for a higher % shot... he's trying not to be selfish - and its working against him...

I would like to see him working inside as a regular component to his game... thats where we often arent maximizing our opportunities... banging the boards, getting the short shots...

As you said, backing down smaller defenders should be a regular option...

It's gonna take some time... knowing when he needs to just fire it up without a second thought... knowing when he should stay on the perimeter so as to not clog the lane for someone else to drive... knowing when he should gravitate down low for rebounds and short shots....

We need to be more multidimensional on offense... thats what I think Melo can bring to the table... just like CP3 added the drive n stop n pop threat...

Reeko and Lawlruschang like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

People keep trying to bring up him replacing ryno as some reasoning. He’ll never be a better 3 pt shooter than ryno. Ryno just doesn’t have the jack up shots mentality that melo has. and he’s actually not a better defender than ryno. One understands the actual concept of team defense, the other does not.

3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

A well stated analysis

hakeem94 and Zboy like this.
  4. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

I disagree with the latter part. Melo at his absolute best will get a miss here or there. Anderson will get scored on every time

Hakeemtheking and mockster like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Definitely not. People can say what they want about ryno but we’ve seen he’s capable of playing some defense at times. It’s not for the lack of effort either. Melo has never been that way and thats not changing at age 34

6. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

They need to give him 10-15 starts in a row and at least 30 minutes to placate his ego. If that doesn't work, just cut him.

7. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

I think you are missing my point. He is capable of PLAYING defense but even when he does, he still gets scored on constantly. I have watched Melo for many years, he is not a good defender but at least has size+strength+length and can cause a miss here and there. I saw him with a good contest at the rim in transition last night vs. Hart I think.

8. mockster

mockster Member

He had good effort last night. I’ll give him that

ArtV likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

We’ve seen ryno actually guard the likes of lebron on the perimeter and be absolutely solid. Melo has always sucked on defense. That size strength length you speak of is a non factor today as far as melo. He’s extremely slow and has extremely low defensive iq.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont understand the whole "but but he is better than Ryan Anderson" argument.

Were we required to pick up another defensive liability after we traded Ryan Anderson and finally got rid of him?

Is it some sort of quota we are trying to fill? lol

Ryan Anderson is really setting the bar low. That shouldn't be the benchmark for roster additions to a team trying to beat the Warriors.

StrawberryJamm likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its is the argument of the last resort to save the time and not to be lost in vain arguments with people who seem they are set in their ways

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

IMHO makes little sense to compare those two now. However, I guess Rox did not get vintage Ryno.

Ryno was at his best when he was a Magic playing alonside young Dwert and then in the early years of New Orleans.

Ryno was far from being a cornerstone player, but one thing he knew better than Melo in his hey days. How to be a Role Player!

Young prime Ryno's D was also not that bad.

13. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Anderson wasn't a terrible player most of the time, the problem was we were paying him 20 mil per year.

If Anderson was getting paid the Vet Min i'm sure he'd still be on the team.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Better effort this game than game 1 . Part of that was harden and Paul being better too .

Hopefully he continues to round into a productive rotation player for us

kjayp likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anyone else think @Zboy is struggling more than Melo is.

kjayp likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

Yeah........ I’m gonna need video evidence of Ryno’s “absolutely solid” defense on LeBron. The only way I see that is if LBJ was completely passive.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

The argument is quite simple. If you need guy who can knock down the occasional 3, Melo on the vet minimum is far superior to Ryno at 20 million. Ryno is a liability in pretty much every aspect of NBA basketball...passing, defense, shooting (or lack there of), financially. You name it.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dont understand the whole 'this min contract guy (who's 2 reg season games into his tenure and posted a +23) needs a new thread to pick apart his shortcomings thus far' argument. lol

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Melo had ten good rebounds. I don't think he's struggling. Anyway, what's primary is whether or not the Rockets are struggling, not individual guys. Melo was in the thick of a good win last night.

ArtV and Hakeemtheking like this.
  20. baubo

baubo Member

The truth is neither Ryno nor Melo at this point in their careers are truly game changers. Ryno has more range than Melo and space the floor better. Melo has more options in his offensive arsenal and can at least create some offense himself so CP3/Harden don’t always have to initiate every play. Neither is a good defender and comparing their defense is pointless cause bad is bad.

However I do believe Melo has more upside than Ryno. But it would require Melo to discover more of an old man game the way Vince Carter or Grant Hill evolved to be great role players late in their careers. I’m skeptical it will happen, but I can at least see it. Whereas Ryno maxed out his full potential with us and that max clearly wasn’t good enough. It’s still TBD whether Melo can be.