1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offical] Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah the umps are destroying us, I completely agree

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

One of them (take your pick) was caught in a #s game in the ALDS - he went with 11 pitchers instead of 12.

Virtually every inning is important in a playoff series so I don't want to pretend they pitched in low-leverage situations - but he brought Rondon in with the team trailing, 6-4, and Smith in the 6th inning of a 2-2 game. Again, those are, by default, big situations (made bigger by their failures) because it's the playoffs but... it's (potentially) seven games in nine days including three in a row. You have to be smart with your bullpen; you can't overwork your studs or you'll gas them the longer the series goes. We saw that happen to LA in the World Series.

Hinch hasn't been great in this series, IMO. But I think Rondon and Smith were defensible.

Elienator likes this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

CF George Springer
    SS Carlos Correa
    3B Alex Bregman
    2B Jose Altuve
    DH Marwin Gonzalez
    1B Yuli Gurriel
    C Brian McCann
    LF Tony Kemp
    RF Josh Reddick

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

That’s probably our best lineup

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I really hope Seth Beer, Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker are on the team in Spring Training
    Those Left Power Hitters are real Middle Order Batsman, the hitters we have right now are utility hitter, High Contact, Low Power. Marwin, Yuli, White. Low Contact, McCann, Gattis, Maldonado

CF George Springer
    2B Jose Altuve
    3B Alex Bregman
    1B Seth Beer
    SS Carlos Correa
    DH Yordan Alvarez
    LF Kyle Tucker
    CF Tony Kemp
    C Brian McCann

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's game 5 of the LCS but, sure - let's talk about our DREAM SPRING TRAINING '19 LINE-UPS! Go!!

Htown Stros, Tomstro and whiskeyred like this.
  7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

What did I try telling you guys a few days ago... now it may not be the 3 hole but something had to change. Glad to see Hinch changing up the LU again. GO ASTROS!

raining threes likes this.
  8. Elienator

Elienator Member

Wasn't this the same thing that happened last year? Springer, Bregman, Gonzales, and Reddick all hit under .200 in the ALCS. Our bullpen was so all over the place we stopped pitching our closer and were using starters instead of normal relievers. If you are Hinch you have to work with what you got.

9. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

I don’t recall many changes, certainly nothing like this.

It indicates panic to shuffle too much. It’s been a forgettable series for hinch. So far.

10. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

You posted earlier that hinch got cute and greedy trying to steal an inning and you were right.

6th inning in that spot is huge and you have so many better options than joe like Colin josh lance who can give you length.

The confidence wasn’t there to have smith on the roster for ALDS yet game 3 tied in 6th you turn to joe smith? Despite being equipped with such a deep bullpen? That just doesn’t make much sense.

Hinch shouldn’t have to manage perfectly for the Astros to win so down 3-1 isn’t on him as we likely lose game 3 regardless of joe smith given how quiet the bats were but overall this hasn’t been a good series for hinch.

He wasted a gem from josh James by leaving him in too long yesterday getting greedy to finish out the inning.

Biggest and most impactful blunder in my mind has been sticking with Maldonado this long. Maldonado has cost the team 6-7 runs in this series. You could make a solid argument it’s tied up 2-2 or up 3-1if he simply started a catcher who could protect the damn plate.

All this said, poor pitching is the primary culprit for the 3-1 hole. We lost games scoring 5 and 6 runs which Shouldn’t happen regardless of who hinch trots out there given the talent level on the pitching staff.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I am a really big fan of the way this lineup is structured.

To me, it's better than anything we've been rolling with. It gets Correa pitches. Correa is a big cog to the lineup. They're not going to want to walk him with Bregman and Altuve after, so maybe he'll see less breaking balls. Bregman will see pitches because of Tuve. Tuve is fine on his own. The only thing I don't like is McCann playing.

This is a winning lineup.

Astros 8
    Sawx 2

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I can see the Astros winning this game running away. I think they know they should've won yesterday. I just have this feeling that they're going to pull off what the Cubs did to the Indians in 2016. Both seem like similar circumstances.

BigM likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

bracing myself but hoping for the best. go stros

[​IMG]

BleedsRocketRed and whiskeyred like this.
  14. JHL85

JHL85 Member

For tonight, Marisnick in (and Reddick out), Maldonado (.200 career hitter against David Price) starting at catcher. Why is McCann (11 for 32 .344 vs Price) not starting? Is Maldonado's "defense" that much superior?

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. JHL85

JHL85 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros lineup has Altuve back at DH, Correa at cleanup spot <a href="https://t.co/cku5YUIRil">pic.twitter.com/cku5YUIRil</a></p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="">October 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Correa moved to the clean up spot as well.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

The good news is the path to game 7 is legit. We just need to execute. It's not blind hope. But we must expect some adversity along the way.

desihooper likes this.
  17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It really is. As an Astros fan you gotta take playing in a winner-take-all Game 7 which I believe favors the road team because there's less pressure.

desihooper likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Being down 3-1...I'll take a Game 7 regardless of anything other than it's because we won Games 5 & 6 to stay alive.

19. Biggio Was His Name-O

We all need this right now.

Houstunna and SooneRockStro like this.
  20. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Well in 1995 the Rockets were down 3-1 to Phoenix in the semis and came back and went on to repeat. You just never know, especially in baseball.

jsingles, Jake Tower and BMoney like this.