1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'd tell you to ask Ted Cruz but his campaign and career were built on ignoring you and the rest of us.

#1581 ipaman, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Isn't it sad that Beto would be dominating a presidential election race against Cruz but will likely just fall short in a senate race. What's sucks is that 2020 is probably too soon for him to run.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No, in a few weeks we will see if Texas voters will continue to vote overwhelmingly republican, regardless of whether cruz is likable (he's not) and whether cruz has been a good senator for Texas (he hasn't). Beto O'Rourke faced tough odds because Texas is such a deep red state, but he has run a strong, positive campaign. If he does lose (and its looks like he will) I hope he runs again.

4. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

A defining moment for the good Senator in such a timely moment. As Ben Shapiro says, Lindsey Graham 2.0

5. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

Cruz isn't likeable nor has he been a good senator for Texas (as defined mostly in the opinion of the libs) because your side keeps losing to him.

cml750 likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And what do you believe Cruz has done for the state of Texas?

7. cml750

cml750 Member

We could go back and forth on this all day and would not sway the others opinion but in the end November 6th is the only opinion that matters. If Cruz is a bad as you claim he will lose. IMHO he has done an excellent job which will reflect in the election results.

Beto does have charisma I will give you that but it will be decades (if ever) before Texans would be open to vote for such a liberal. I know the young people really like him but the funny thing is they grow up and most mature finally realizing their my parents were right all along. Beto may very well have a bright future for the Democrats but it will not be in Texas. He would do great in a solid blue state and may even play well in a Purple state. I would suggest he move a few miles west when one of New Mexico's Democrat Senators decides to retire. He would easily win there.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

My question to my fellow Clutchfans is how could anybody in Houston support Francis when he voted against a tax break for Hurricane Harvey victims (HR 3823). His reasoning being that it wasn't enough of a break...so his idea was to vote to against and give nothing at all irt this bill? And yes, I am aware that he voted for other Harvey relief bills.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Even if he were to win this race, 2020 would be too soon.

"Keeps losing to him" implies that he's run more than one election. Aside from his loss to an orange ball of fake hair in the 2016 primary, one in which the Democrats have no say in, he's run in exactly 1 election. It's not like he's introducing bills that keep getting signed into law...since he's only authored 2 in his 5+ years in the Senate. Other than the one time there was a chance, how do we "keep" losing to him?

10. cml750

cml750 Member

Shouldn't you be more worried about what Feinstein and Kamala Harris are doing for your state? If I were you I would be really pissed off at Feinstein for the way she handled the Kavanaugh confirmation and holding on to that "information" for so long. As for Ted Cruz, he has consistently represented the values of the people of Texas and actually did all he could personally do to keep his campaign promise to end the utterly ridiculous Obamacare.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

[​IMG]

haha - even trump said he had done nothing for texas. is trump a "lib" now? trump also repeatedly called him lyin' ted, said his wife was ugly and accused his father of being involved in the jfk assassination. and cruz is such a pathetic weasel that he still campaigned for trump and seeks his support now...doesnt really sound "tough as texas" to me...lol.

also, people like you who view politics as a team sport and are obsessed with "sides" are the main thing that is wrong with our policital system...its also the reason ted cruz is going to win. its not that people think rafael is this great senator...its that we are in texas and he has an "R" in front of his name. and like you said, its all about "sides" and teams. sad.

i never thought beto had a chance, but he really blew it when he refused to go on the attack against lyin' ted...he let the cruz campaign control the narrative. i said it months ago and ill say it again...beto and the dems should have flooded the state with billboards featuring trumps tweets about how terrible cruz is, quotes from lindsey graham about how cruz could be murdered on the senate floor and no senator would convict and george w bush quote "i just dont like the guy". cruz kept attacking, beto didnt fight back and his poll #'s kept going down. very predictable.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Look, the Beto campaign was always a long shot. This is Texas. It's looking like Cruz will prevail, just as we would have all assumed 12 months ago. Beto gave a good effort.

Being likable in a political poll is not the same thing as being likable.

Agreed. We get what we deserve.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"opinion" meaning he wins, not whether he is popular or has been an effective senator for Texas. Bad candidates can and do win. I could challenge you to list bills cruz has authored and passed, but I know you can google that just as easily as I can. The reality is we both know cruz is an awful person and senator, and only the "R" next to his name merits your support.

Put it this way... republicans/conservatives/self-identified "independents" have posted here "gee, if Beto was in another state he would win"? Heck, you did below. Do you honestly think anyone would say that about cruz, regardless of what state he ran in? Heck, cruz's own family doesn't even like him.

"For such a liberal." I guess through extreme-right wing lenses he could be considered "such a liberal." Course, that's how you probably described former President Obama. And all Democrats.

14. Falcons Talon

15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Ted didn't mention that he voted against an omnibus spending bill earlier this year that provided $16.5M to fix two reservoirs in Houston to try and prevent future flooding (among other benefits for Houston and Texas) did he? A bill that Cornyn and other Republicans had no problem supporting.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...-cruz-says-texas-tough-keeps-voting-interests

Or that he voted against hurricane relief funding for New Jersey and New York in 2012 over a claim that it had too much pork (not true).

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...uz-claims-beto-o-rourke-voted-against-n904916

Ted's got a history of voting against Texas interests and/or disaster funding, but has no problem being the first to cast stones.

NewRoxFan and jo mama like this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So, if he voted for the other relief bills, what exactly is the problem? What about Cruz's vote against other relief bills (like the one for Hurricane Sandy where he blamed pork that was never added) or his vote against replenishing the FEMA disaster relief fund?

17. Falcons Talon

Can you please provide a link that is not on an opinion page.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

he should probably run in 2020. The older he gets the last attractive he becomes, then what will the media write about?

19. Falcons Talon

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not concerned how he voted for other states relief bills. However, I will look look at the Fema bill.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member