1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Freedom of Movement" rule and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Is the emphasis on "freedom of movement" good or bad for the Rockets?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2018.
  1. Good

20.0%
  2. Bad

55.2%
  3. Not an issue, because the refs will stop calling it soon OR because it won't impact our offense

24.8%
  1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I think the switching defense helps counteract this a bit but it definitely helps teams like Golden State.

I think it also won't be called near as much during the season as in preseason but during the playoffs expect a heavy dosage of it if it means GSW go to the finals again.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it doesn't have to be so...NBA owes us now...just like the owed MVP to Harden and were forced to give him one finally(not that he didnt deserved it but it played a big role imho that he was mvp contender in previous years)
    so if they find it opportune we will be introduced to finals... i am sure morey has a sound plan

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The NBA clearly thinks the Warriors are good for business. I can't for the life of me think of how that could be, but that's the only reasoning. This is a rule change that clearly helps them.

Of course if they enforced rules fairly for everybody I would be OK with it, but we all know the warriors get away with more on both sides of the ball because of their reputation. It's really f**king hard to be an NBA fan right now, the playing field is just so f**ked. When you come close to conquering it, they slant it even further to hurt you.

slothy420 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Those will negativity effect the Rockets as their off ball motion is relatively non-existent. So they won't take advantage of it .

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The new thing is for the Screen to stick out a knee or moving the hips while the feet stay planted
    Which should be a foul on the screener

Rocket River

napalm06 and j@amc like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's an article on this subject on The Athletic. Do we have any subscribers who could share it?

daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

D - bad because it's a rule. Like all rules, it will not be enforced properly or equally on the Warriors

Draymond Green should foul out in every game and wash out of the league by December if this is properly enforced.

And it's a destructive rule because of how loosely it can be applied. As if we needed even more referee influence on NBA games. This is a "feel free to blow the whistle anytime, even off ball" rule.

da_juice, Rockets4Life13 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I like it

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

How new NBA rule changes help the Warriors and offensive flow

Having won three of the past four NBA championships and lost the other NBA Finals in Game 7, the Golden State Warriors didn't need much help as they go for a third title in a row. But the NBA's emphasis this season on cracking down on off-ball contact could benefit the Warriors anyway.

When the league rolled out its points of education video in September, the most notable change to how referees will be instructed to call games came in terms of what the NBA calls "freedom of movement," specifically away from the ball.

As officials during the preseason whistled fouls for grabbing and holding that previously went unpenalized, the potential impact of the change has come into view. If players and teams adjust to a less physical style, the emphasis on freedom of movement could have an effect similar to how a crackdown on perimeter hand-checking helped set the table for the faster-paced, pick-and-roll-heavy style of play that has dominated the NBA over the past decade and a half -- except this time favoring teams such as Golden State that don't rely on the pick-and-roll.

How should we expect players and teams to react? Who besides the Warriors might benefit from or be hurt by that change? Let's analyze the importance of freedom of movement.

Referees "letting too much go"

When Monty McCutchen retired from working games and moved into the league office in December, the NBA's new vice president and head of referee development and training found the league's competition committee -- made up of representatives from ownership, GMs and coaches, as well as non-voting referee members -- already engaged in discussions about the level of grabbing and holding being allowed away from the ball.

"We were letting too much go," McCutchen said. "There's no doubt about that."

The Utah Jazz in particular had taken up the cause of freedom of movement. In April 2017, Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey went on the Woj Pod with ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and lamented the degree to which that contact impeded Utah's motion-based offense, which ranked second in passes per possession during the 2016-17 season, according to Second Spectrum tracking.

The NBA solicits feedback on refereeing in a variety of manners, including a program through which coaches can text their thoughts the day after a game.

"Through those various points of contact," McCutchen said, "we realized that there was a consensus, if you will, that this is an area of our game that has slipped. It's funny that we get all this feedback from a wide range of people, and it's all saying similar things: that the game has gotten too physical, that there's too much clutching and grabbing, there's too much wrapping.

"Then we go and look at games from the late '90s, in which some of the most physical players of our history of our game are playing with their feet, and they're doing the things that we see that are in our rulebook. And we realized that good, strong, physical players of previous generations weren't doing this holding, clutching and grabbing to the level that we see now. That's a pretty good indicator that we need to tighten up."

Preseason adjustment period

After rolling out freedom of movement as a point of education to referees at their annual preseason training camp, the NBA began the process of enforcing the rulebook during preseason. The result has been a surge in the number of whistles.

Through Monday, exhibition games were averaging 25.1 fouls per 100 possessions, up from 21.2 during the 2017-18 preseason. It's clear from the numbers that off-ball fouls explain that increase. So far, 64 percent of called fouls have been of the non-shooting variety, compared to 54 percent during the 2017-18 NBA regular season, according to Second Spectrum tracking.

The foul rate so far is the highest since the lockout-shortened 2011-12 preseason, in which teams were called for 25.9 fouls per 100 possessions. Since then, foul rates have been dropping in both exhibition play and the regular season. Although the rate of whistles for fouls tends to decline from preseason to the subsequent regular season, preseason foul rates generally predict those in the regular season -- a trend that would suggest fouls will stay up once the regular season begins.

McCutchen hopes to avoid that as players and teams adjust to the freedom of movement initiative, creating better flow to the game.

"I think the idea is, if we're consistent and the players adjust, the flow will return, but not only will it return, it will return to a better, more free-flowing game," he said. "Flow is to be interpreted two ways. One, right now I think it's being interpreted as an interruption by our whistle. But the second definition of flow is, are people running with a flow to the game that is aesthetically pleasing and actually adheres to our rulebooks?

"We think that we're going to get two definitions of flow in the process once the players make this adjustment. Not only will we have fewer whistles because the players have adjusted, but the game itself will have a better flow from the lack of the clutching and grabbing and holding and physicality in the post that we've seen creep in."

Coaches expect something similar.

"I think any time you have a major shift in points of emphasis, it starts in the preseason, and players adjust, coaches adjust, and eventually I think it turns out for the best," Portland Trail Blazers head coach Terry Stotts said. "I come back to the early- to mid-'90s when they were trying to clean up hand checks. The whistles were ridiculous in the preseason, and the players adjusted."

"I think the players are going to adjust," the Jazz's Quin Snyder said. "All of us are going to have a little angst at certain times as you get used to it. There will probably be something really reasonable that gets adjudicated over time as we figure it out."

As McCutchen pointed out, that adjustment already seems to be happening. In the first week of preseason play, there was an average of 37.1 non-shooting fouls per game, including an incredible 57 during the Knicks-Wizards game on Oct. 1 that featured three technical fouls and the ejection of Washington forward Markieff Morris. Since then, the average has dropped to 32.1 non-shooting fouls per game, more in line with past seasons.

The cynical perspective might be that referees will go back to their usual lax treatment of off-ball contact when the regular season begins or by the playoffs, when the game typically becomes more physical. McCutchen sees it as his department's responsibility to prevent that from happening. In a first, the league plans monthly updates on its points of education -- which include "respect for the game" between players and officials, as well as traveling -- highlighting correct calls and pointing out where referees need to step up their enforcement.

"If the same acts occur in March, April, May, June, we want them called," McCutchen said. "This is how the game should look, and this is how it should be adjudicated. Our role in that is to enforce it with the will of the rulebook."

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Impact of freedom of movement

If referees continue calling the game as instructed, it should benefit teams that already have offenses heavy on player movement away from the ball. When ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy was asked which teams that means, he didn't hesitate.

"It's all about the Warriors," Van Gundy said. "Any team like that, that tries to play like that and has the skill, obviously, is going to be rewarded. The NBA doesn't necessarily favor a team, I don't think, but they favor a style. They're almost forcing your hand roster-wise."

Under Steve Kerr, Golden State has featured relatively little of the pick-and-roll basketball that dominates most NBA offenses. Per Second Spectrum tracking, the Warriors averaged less than half an on-ball screen per possession during the 2017-18 regular season (45.1 per 100 possessions). Only the Philadelphia 76ers (41.5) set fewer on-ball screens per possession. Instead, the Warriors prefer to keep players moving around off-ball screens. They set more than twice as many of those last season (93.4 per 100 possessions), a rate that ranked fifth in the league.

It's no coincidence that Golden State's Klay Thompson and Philadelphia's J.J. Redick were among the top five individual players in off-ball screens received, according to Second Spectrum. It's interesting to note that both have excelled in the preseason. Thompson is scoring more than a point per minute (23.5 ppg in 21.6 mpg), while Redick is averaging 27.1 points per 36 minutes.

Although both players have benefited from unsustainably hot 3-point shooting (64 percent for Thompson and 57 percent for Redick, who went 7-of-7 from 3 against the Dallas Mavericks last week in China), the other leaders in 2017-18 off-ball screens have succeeded without the same kind of small-sample shooting. Paul George is leading the league in scoring in the preseason (just ahead of Thompson), Bradley Beal is averaging 25.0 points per 36 minutes, and CJ McCollum is making 75 percent of his 2-point attempts.

The freedom of movement emphasis extends to post play, in which the NBA wants to eliminate players wrapping their arms around opponents or dislodging them from position. That could have an important impact on switching defenses, which often ask their guards to defend far bigger opponents in the post by any means necessary.

"It will be good for the game because it just opens up so many more options for attacking switching," Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens told Jared Weiss of The Athletic Boston. "Because at the end of the day, you're going to see a lot of that."

At best, more freedom of movement should incentivize teams to eschew the isolation-heavy offense we saw against switches during the 2018 conference finals in favor of a more free-flowing style that involves all five players.

"I think players will figure out what they can and can't do," Stotts said. "Once they figure that out, then they'll figure out other ways to be effective defensively. Offensively, I think hopefully you'll see more movement, and I think that's good for the game."

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah .... moving screens .

And, I can just hear it again "the rockets play ugly, ISO basketball ."

These ****ers man .....

Thank goodness for Jeff keeping it real ; unfortunately they can just shut him up by having him never call out games . It's a shame . Mark Jackson and JVG was the broadcast team last WCF deserved.

Our only silver lining is that LA might play them first which could bring attention to their cheap tactics .

Edit ...

Now that I went back and read JVG's full remarks I disagree. Is winning 3/4 the last finals not a big enough rewards !?

Also , the league may be trying to incentivize teams to follow the warrior style of play .... but that can't happen . Ball movement has been around forever .... the reason the warriors offense looks so "beautiful" and free is because teams have to pay ridiculous amounts of attention to curry and Klay's shooting ability . ( and now KD)

Having a big that can pass like green is a rare luxury as well .

Not letting teams play the way their roster is constructed, and trying to force them towards GS style is bullshit

#71 snowconeman22, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That kind of makes you worry about how Harden defends the post.

heypartner likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Stopped reading at “if we’re consistent”

DonKnock and napalm06 like this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As long as they call it fairly on both sides then it should be fine. But you know damn well Draymond's gonna be holding the **** out of us and they ain't gonna call **** lol.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wish I could like this a thousand times.

DonKnock and daywalker02 like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As well as Paul getting into foul trouble. His wraps up bigs more than Harden, who can leverage with lower body thicc ness

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hit the button like hundred times.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This all makes sense, and I’m not going to whine to the league about wanting to clean up the cheap, defense tactics (even if it helps motion more than us),,,,but as many of us said earlier in this thread (starting with @JayZ750), this is total BS if they don’t also stop the motion offenses from setting their illegal screens .... *that* is getting more out of control than liberal defense.

The lack of balance is disconcerting ... and reminds me of mistakes the NFL has made to increase scoring.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So are these rules really here to make the games more free-flowing? Or are they here so refs have more reasons to call fouls and dictate the games as it suits them? What do y'all REALLY think?