1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MLS] Adu picked first in Superdraft

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=288649&cc=5901

Freddy ADu was Dc United's first pick in the draft. I want to know how the selection order is set. Dallas had the worst record last season and had the 4th pick(which they traded). It may just be that I don't hear a lot about the Burn but to me it seems like they get screwed all the time. Everytime there is a big name signing with the league or entering the draft Dallas never has the opportunity to get them. It looks like the league tries to stack DC United and the west coast teams and leaves the midwest teams to fight for the cellar. Anyone else know how the league decides some of these things?

2. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Adu signed with MLS on the condition that he'd get to play for DC United, thereby staying close to home.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

And here in DC, we love that. Soory to the burn. But DC United is back.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

To be honest I really don't have a dislike for the teams and neither am I a huge Burn fan (like 'em cause they are as local as we can get ).

I just don't see how the league works. To me it seems like a lot of the things they do would be comparable to Bud Selig saying "Ok Vlad Guereror, Tejada, Pettite ,you guys are out of contract so now you have the choice of playing in Milwaukee or playing in New York. Sheffield, Maddux, Pudge you guys have the choice to play in LA or Baltimore. The rest of you teams can scrounge arounsd and see if you can find some local guys playing Sunday leagues to make up your team".

I understand the Adu situation is a little different because of his age, I understand that but how do you justify constantly sending top tier players to certain clubs and sending none to others.?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I believe the US finally has it's ultra star - like everyone else all I hear is incredible things about this kid. I haven't had chance to see him play yet (other than brief highlights). Playing pro so young (gulp) I hope he doesn’t fall victim to the classic soccer burnout at 18.

:D

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think I'm going to have to make the roadie to Dallas whenever DC United comes to town.

7. The Voice of Reason

Yeah it was not in doubt where Adu would play in MLS, it was weather he was gonna.

as far as the Burn getting screwed, well yes they sure did in this case, but if the burn didnt accept the exception/senior international that DCunited gave them for the 1st pick there would be no Adu in MLS at all, and that means thar Dallas wouldnt have the anticipated 5k attendance boost when Freddy comes to town. not to mention they ge an established experiences top player for him. (honestly I dont remember the terms of that deal, but its not like they got nothing for the picj)

8. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

Yeah, the MLS is odd in that when a player signs, he signs with the league, not the team. That is why the league can tell player what team they are going to. I really think that MLS is just trying to make the league is as competitve as possible so that they games are exciting and people will come out to watch it. I think that they are going to continue to be a third rate league until they can tweak the rules so that there are at least 6 goals per game on average. American's in general don't understand the game and it's tough to enjoy a game you don't understand. Maybe as more and more kids play soccer this will change, but I don't see this happening for at least another generation. It's too bad, because it is a great game, not just to watch but to play. What a great workout!

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Its about damn time

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i played soccer for about 13 years but have never even watched a single mls game.

but world cup is a diffrent story. that u.s. vs. germany game was one of the best times i have ever had watching sports ever.