1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland want to trade Rasheed Wallace.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by reptilexcq, Jan 16, 2004.

1. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

They're going crazy over this trade rumor and it's confirmed that the Portland's GM wants to do it now instead of waiting cuz it casts a shadow over their team. They're waiting for a better deal. What do you think the Rox should do?

If we don't do something, the Mavs could snatch Wallace in a trade of Jamison and Wahad.

Taylor + someone for Wallace OR
    Cato + someone for Wallace.

I don't think the Rox can afford to trade both cuz they need backup.

2. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

They can take Mo, pike and Adrian Griffin

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think right now our only real hope of landing him is if Wallace really WANTS to play in Houston, as has been reported by a couple questionable sources. We certainly can't match others' offers. But if he WANTS to play here, we might pick him up in free agency over the offseason.

4. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I think any trade should include Cato. I love Cato's game...he's the only Rocket with gonads! He won't back down from anyone. Plus there is a shortage of centers which makes his value a little higher. But after the comments the Celtics coach made, we just can't keep playing him at power forward plus we wouldn't need him if we got Wallace. How about Cato and future draft picks?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

didn't we get Cato from Portland?
    Now they want him back?

Rocket River

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

I bet Portland wishes they could get O'Neal back.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No way Portland gets Cato back, especially since he is a lot more expensive now. Portland probably wouldn't want MoT either, since he is the exact character they are trying to get rid of.

Any chance of us getting Sheed would require a 3-team deal.

Houston trades: Cat/MoT/2nd rounder
    Houston Recieves: Sheed

Portalnd trades: Sheed/Stoudamire
    Portland Recieves:SAR/Cat

Atlanta trades:SAR
    Atlanta Recieves:Stoudamire/MoT/2nd rounder

I was bored. But it's not that bad of a deal.

8. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

What's SAR?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

An SAR is a player who doesn't help his team win in the weakest division in the weakest conference in the NBA, yet Rocket fans would love to have him. An SAR is part of the problem on the worst team in the NBA. An SAR puts up stats but his team is constantly in limbo.

10. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Except the Hawks are getting screwed.

11. mrwriter

mrwriter Member

I think Portland is looking for more of a Small Forward (or a SG) in exchange for Wallace, so Mo or Cato is out of the question. Unless there's a third team involved...

to eyeagainst: Shareef Abdur-Rahim

12. sup123

sup123 Member

we should go after him but managment is dumb and cheap.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Shareef Abdur-Rahim is in a lose/lose situation. The NBA needs to finalize the sale of that team yesterday. I don't know why it's taking them so long. Maybe because the team is in such dire straits? Hell, Rockets' attendance puts Atlanta's to shame.

As far as Rasheed, a 3rd team would have to be included for us to get involved, or even a fourth. As Cat is an enticement to keeping Rasheed in Houston, Steve Francis becomes our only tradeable asset. I'm sure JVG would pull the trigger if he could get back a PG who doesn't commit turnovers (McInnis) but I wonder if Les and CD would go along that route. When you have one of the West's starting All-Star guards, do you have the guts to trade him?

I don't care much for the Colangelos but at least they recognized that they would go nowhere with a Me-Myself-and-I point guard.

In any case, the supposed trade with Dallas would send out Antawn Jamison and Tariq Abdul-Wahad. Jamison would be a tweener and Wahad would be a very expensive paperweight.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'd rather have Mo Taylor at $8 mill/yr, rather than Rasheed at $17 mill/yr.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

SAR's is a player that can't carry a team but as a third option, behind Yao and Francis, he could take the Rockets to the next level.

Why would Portland be interested in bringing Taylor to their team. They are trying to clean up their image.

16. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Mo Taylor is a better locker room presence than Rasheed but they enjoy the same past time.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I guess McGrady sucks too since their team has the worst record in the NBA. I sure wouldn't want him on our team. Clearly because the team is doing poorly it is all HIS fault. :rolleyes:

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How many times has McGrady's team been to the playoffs. How many times has Rahim's.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I forgot, McGrady only got TO the playoffs, not past the first round. What was I thinking!?!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

C'mon Pgabriel, I am not saying Rahim is anywhere close to McGrady. I used that situation to convey the point that a team's record does not always reflect how good a player is. The reality is that McGrady is a franchise player and Rahim is not. But just because his team is not going anywhere does not mean he isnt a good player. That is ridiculous. How about factor a few other things in like ownership, the players around him etc. If we got Rahim he wouldn't be coming here to save us as "the man" but rather would share the load.

20. superjazzfan

superjazzfan Member

I think its very unlikely that Houston will make a trade before the deadline where they will have to use any or all of the trade exception. The whole point of getting rid of Rice was to stay under the luxury tax. That is almost certain to kick in again this season, but unlikely to kick in next season. The most likely scenario is that the Rockets will wait until after the season and then use it in a trade or as part of a sign-and-trade.

You may still land 'Sheed, but I don't think that will be attempted until Summer.

Just My Opinion.