1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, May 9, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This may have more to do with conservative "issues" than it does conservative "news". Which may mean that FB blocked sites such as Reuters, not necessarily conservative.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

People are debating whether this is a healthy practice for Facebook and if it alters their perception of them. People are also discussing the affect it has on the ignorance of the voting public. Nobody has advocated any legislation or legal action against Facebook (didnt read every post though).

1 person likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe some people buy Fox's fair and balanced claim, but they still understand that the content is curated by people. And that those people are using the judgement to decide what news is most significant to report. And they are producing primary source news The assumption with trending services is that it is only math and no one is using their judgement on what news is important -- what's important is the items that get the most clicks. And they don't produce anything; they're merely a distribution channel for news organizations like Fox. So even if people don't understand that Fox is partisan, I'd still say there is a fundamental difference in how people regard the two organizations.

What about Trending on Twitter? Is that curated also?

I don't think its obvious that Facebook would have curators at all. I know they have people that go in and censor p*rnography and other bad acts on people's feeds, but there's no reason to think that function would extend to trending. I know now because of functions in my own company that there is news story consolidation that needs humans to accomplish, but if not for that I'd be befuddled as to why curators would exist.

And, its not clear to me that there is any gaming to be done. If trending shows what news stories gets the most clicks, simply producing stories isn't enough. You need to get people to click on it. If you succeed in that, aren't you legitimately trending? Is there some way to game that and get click rates you didn't earn? Maybe there's a part of this industry I'm ignorant of, but this sounds like an excuse.

4. TheresTheDagger

Their is no unbiased "news" sources anymore. There probably never was to begin with.

When you start with this idea as your premise, it becomes much easier to retain honest skepticism AND sort through the garbage that is the reality of today's "news" sources.

cml750 likes this.
  5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt that FB did this. They are probably doing everything in their power to fight against their user base skewing further and further to the "olds". FB is already being abandoned by the youth, and having trending news that parallels whatever Fox is hyping everyday is just going to drive the youngsters away faster.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Luckily the GOP Senate has found time in their really busy schedules to jump into the "Facebook is Unfair to Conservatives" issue...

1 person likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

I think they could use the trends tool to make a more effective echo chamber without censoring and curating. They can change the algorithm to segment what's trending depending on who you are. Well-to-do empty-nesters can see what is trending among the well-to-do empty-nester facebook segment. Black millenials can see what is trending among black millenials. That way, the olds won't make the young people feel uncomfortable anymore.

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Bigtexxx,

Deciding what news makes the top of the cycle is never a perfect science, but weighing sources like CNN and NYT above the Drudge Report and Newsmax in that determination is not censorship. It's aggregation. When Facebook starts regularly featuring headlines from KCNA or even Mother Jones, I'll sympathize with your persecution complex.

If you want to see censorship, try working as a creative director for a digital agency making 1000s of FB ads for video games every day. My old account manager once said that my ads were censored for featuring "underaged girls." It was a game for children using their own (family friendly) art assets.

I also remember a dark day when hundreds of successful ads I made for MMOs were retroactively censored for "sexual content" when Facebook decided that cleavage was inappropriate, even if targeted to 18+ audiences.

Again, this is a social media site that regularly provides most of the clickbait I see in my waking day in the first place. The newsfeed is probably one of the least offensive aspects of Facebook.

9. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm pretty sure that 99% of professional news and social media sites "suppress" certain stories or certain sources. That's what curation is.

There's also a difference between an actual news article and propaganda. Breitbart tends to do a decent amount of the latter.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

But why would they do this?
    At the end of the day Facebook benefits from the youth demographic, they are going to cater to the youth demographic.
    PR only goes so far, and negative PR is irrelevant even if all the "olds" get disgusted and leave.

11. Major

Major Member

If trending stories are simply the ones that get the most clicks, then you create a bunch of fake clicks and suddenly you can make the story trend on facebook. Just create some software to do it or pay people on O-Desk or whatever. If you're trying to pull off some sort of scam, it would more than pay for itself if you could get your article listed as trending on FB. With the internet, there is always a way to game the system if you're just using algorithms. That's why Google is constantly changing it's search algorithms to fight SEO.

12. JuanValdez

Why -- for my own curiosity -- can the pay-per-click model of internet advertising be viable if you can make fake clicks? Couldn't Google pad their ad revenues? Couldn't North Korean hackers just run up everybody's ad spend just to mess with us? I guess my implicit assumption is that clicks can be audited. But, I don't know enough about the industry.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To be clear, North Korea would just literally have a warehouse of people clicking for 20 hours per day.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

never mind

#74 Os Trigonum, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  15. NewRoxFan

But the important question... does facebook have a safe filled with all those censured stories?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

related story

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/technology/inside-facebook-employees-political-bias.html

more at the link

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If you go to Facebook for news you are more lost than you realize.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe they should just ban “news” all together than. Facebook is for funny videos of your kids, or pictures gloating the delicious meal you cooked last night. It should never have allowed itself to become your grandpa favorite news feed. It just begged for itself to become the subject of political corruption and ultimately become regulated as hell.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

LOL... the party of free enterprise...

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

We should absolutely not nationalize Facebook and Twitter. They are private enterprises and should remain so. If conservatives don't like Facebook and Twitter, make an alternative and market it to conservatives (isn't that what Minds and Gab are supposed to be?). The very idea of turning these profitable companies into public utilities flies in the face of what these people are supposed to stand for. You have to stick to your principles, even to the detriment of your self-interest.

cml750 likes this.