1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Debt lawsuit - Any advise is helpful!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smokieethabear, Aug 27, 2018.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This happened to us last year and they literally had the wrong person. They started calling my wife at work.

I googled their corporate headquarters address and sent them a certified cease and desist letter and we haven't heard from them since.

Just google whatever kind of letter you need and you can easily find one to use as a template. Then you can send it certified mail without even having to go to the post office. I used these people and it worked like a charm. Totally worth the 8 bucks it cost me. I even got an email when someone signed for the letter.

https://www.onlinecertifiedmail.com

Xerobull, Space Ghost and Deckard like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

*DELETE* I read the OP more carefully and he's already checked the credit reports. carry on. And whew.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would leave this at that. I would suggest that you monitor your credit report(s) going forward.

4. what

what Member

Statue of limitations is your friend.
    If I was you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure that you go to court.

I was sued once like this but I knew that they didn't have the statues of limitations on their side so I went to court on the day that it was supposed to be and and foumd out the company cancelled the court date.

If you have your statutes of limitations on your side you can actually sue them. Which is what I would look into like a countersuit.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

If you wear a suit and then you counter suit, then what happens. Are you naked?

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If they have filed a complaint, I would file an answer, either a general denial, or a denial of each portion of the complaint that is not true, depending on the requirements of your jurisdiction. You don't want to ignore it, because that is how you get a default judgment levied against you. If it is a scam, once you file your denial they will just drop the case (knowing they can't prove anything). I wouldn't waste money on a lawyer unless and until they start requesting depositions.

7. CallMeTheDream

Good point. I’d recommend the defendant show up already nude to counter his forthcoming counter suit.