1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The astros gave away a hall of famer - for nothing

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Aug 20, 2018.

1. conquistador#11

2. what

what Member

The astros didn't lose any of those guys: hader was part of the trade that brought carlos Gomez on board. It was a stupid trade, but we knew that hader had the talent to do what he is doing.

Putting jd Martinez in the same breathe as JA HAPP and JED Lowie is laughable.

Curt Schilling I guess you could say was comparable, but he was just a pitstop on the astros. In fact, it wasn't till well after the fact did I even realize he played for the astros, although I'm sure some diehards will know every pitch of his 8 game stint.

Not sure what the astros saw in Jason Grimsely though.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

As usual, you missed the point.

Just about every team has let go of an all-time great at one point or another. JD by no means is an all-time great yet. Could be if he keeps leading the league in homers, but even then that's ALL he has brought to the table on any team.

Hell these Boston Red Sox that scooped up JD let go of what some tout as the all-time great of all-time greats.

It happens, gtf over it. We're pursuing another championship, while JD is pursuing his first.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

8 games? Do you even know how to read stats? He had 8 decisions in 56 games.

But...the fact they essentially let him go after one season shows they didn't even give him half the opportunity JD had. It was in retrospect clearly a bad move. But at the time, it was just a blip on the radar.

You know what would be another bad move? Including Tucker in a trade for Austin Hedges.

lnchan likes this.
  5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

No mistakes about it, if we didn't purge the team even waiving JDM, we would not have a boatload of draft picks. So JDM was not a mistake in my book.

6. HTM

HTM Member

I had no idea Curt Schilling pitched for the Astros

7. Rocketeer Bang

Arguably two of the best trades the Astros had ever made, one of which was Larry Anderson for Baggy. I am sure everyone who followed the Stros in the late 80's remember Anderson and his killer slider. the guy was simply unhittable.

and the other was trading away the big bopper Glen Davis to the Orioles for 3 guys - Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch, and Curt Schilling. Finley would later become our everyday CF. Harnisch was a mainstain in the rotation for several years. And all the while, the Astros made Schilling one of their relievers, although i think he had the closer role for maybe a season or two. I don't know what went wrong between Schilling and the front office or the coaching staff, because i remember watching him pitch and i'd always thought he had great stuff. i mean, he would come late in the game, and just blows by people with his fb. i don't think Schilling was particularly favored by the front office, because he was the first of three to be let go, and basically for nothing in return.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Yep... I believe the team envisioned him being a closer. The story goes that he was tutored by Roger Clemens just like JD Martinez was tutored by... Jason Castro (!?!) in the offseason and turned things around.

9. lnchan

A steroid distributor that was not caught until 2006?

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Astros won the World Series last year.
    I'm still on quite the high from that!

11. msn

msn Member

All this talk of letting great players go, and no one's mentioned Staub for Clendennon. :-(

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

None of us were alive in those pre-historic times.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rookie....

It was worse because Clendenon refused to report to Houston and rather than voiding the trade, Bowie Kuhn forced Houston to take other players in his place.

msn likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Cuellar

15. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Tyler White could have been our next JD Martinez if we had traded or released him

16. Buck Turgidson

Or the next JR Towles.

17. phasors28

phasors28 Member

18. phasors28

phasors28 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe 4 HOF players on the 92 team. At least we kept half

19. lnchan

If we didn't trade away Lofton... didn't squander the 1-1 in 1992... and didn't gut the team after the strike... the post-strike 1995 Astros could have easily been the following:

C S Servais/T Eusebio
    1B J Bagwell
    2B C Biggio
    3B K Caminiti
    SS D Jeter
    LF L Gonzalez
    CF S Finley
    RF K Lofton

SP M Hampton
    SP D Kile
    SP C Schilling
    SP S Reynolds
    SP D Drabek
    RP J Hudek
    RP D Veres
    CL B Wagner

Reality --
    C S Servais/T Eusebio
    1B J Bagwell
    2B C Biggio
    3B D Magadan
    SS O Miller
    LF L Gonzalez
    CF B Hunter
    RF D Bell

SP M Hampton
    SP D Kile
    SP G Swindell
    SP S Reynolds
    SP D Drabek
    RP J Hudek
    RP D Veres
    CL T Jones

20. msn

msn Member

Ya, after Clendenon threw a fit and Kuhn went all Butt Selig on us.