1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm hoping to go to a grad school in Houston area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 90dmswo, Aug 9, 2018.

1. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

I have been a Houston Rockets fan since 2007 when I was attending high school in California. T-Mac and Yao leading the Rockets to 22 consecutive wins and beating LA Lakers to get first seed (though only briefly) was probably the proudest moment of my life. I remember disrespecting Lakers/Kobe fans all day long.

I had long detours and mishaps that led to where I am right now (I currently live in South Korea).

Today, I decided I am going to apply for a grad school program in Houston area. I did apply to Rice U for undergrad but was rejected probably because I mentioned Houston Rockets as my motivation for applying. This time, I will succeed and be a part of this wonderful community.

I am writing this as a binding public announcement so that I do not give up in the process.

Sorry for a random thread.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Man I'm old

Hakeemtheking, 90dmswo and kaleidosky like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

tinman demands your take on 94-95 rockets and the dream.

90dmswo likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Had to reread the title carefully . . .. . lol
    Congrats!

Rocket River

5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Which grad school?

6. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

Rice is my first option but I have been out of academic field for so long I am not sure if I stand a chance.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

FBI bots probably crawling every nook and cranny of this website now.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What field of study? It never hurts to apply bud. Good luck!

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

For what? This isn't Hogwarts.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm really glad I misread this title.

Sajan, ThatBoyNick and Rocket River like this.
  11. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

Poli Sci :) I can't wait to explore political science in a red state.

12. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

defense against the dark arts.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

you don't need rice, devry university offers great careers. You can be a medical assistant or it tech support and make a whopping $8:50 an hour or do criminal justice and earn a masters degree that is not accredited.

da_juice and Mr. Brightside like this.
  14. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

Maybe they will tell us who Cyberx is

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Man if you’re coming all the way to Houston from overseas to do a poli sci degree from Rice because you like the Rockets, you need to re-evaluate your thought process.

16. theimpossibles1

To elaborate on what others have said, might not wanna put "shoot" and "school" in the same thread title. People got PTSD over here with that sh*t.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I agree with prior posters about being careful about posting shoot and school in the same sentence. Additionally... good luck paying out of state tuition for a poli sci degree. That was my major and it took me 5 years after
    I graduated to make decent money... in a completely non related field. I’m now in tech sales and love it, but it was a long road to get here because of my poli sci major.

Good luck

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Rice is a superb private university and one of the highest rated private schools in the country. It's very difficult to get into. If you manage to get accepted to one of their graduate programs, and are a US citizen (I assume you are), they have several ways to help you financially so that you can afford to go. My oldest kid, now 27 and a lead software developer in Austin (dad taking a sec to brag about kid), had one of his best friends accepted to Rice. The friend had a major problem, however. He was born in India. Sure, he had lived in the United States since he was 1 or 2 years old, but it closed off all the financial assistance available. You have to be a citizen of this country. His friend is doing very well these days, but he really did want to attend Rice.

Good luck!

I just saw CCorn's post about out of state tuition. He's right about it except for one thing. If it is a state university, out of state students get no help at all. It's all aimed, understandably, towards students from within the state. We are very aware of that tidbit because we paid to put that kid I mentioned through a terrific out of state state university and it cost us a huge amount of money. Six figures for 4 years. Rice, however, is a private university, so I don't think the financial aid is unavailable to out of state students. Just students from out of the country. I could be wrong about that, so look into it.

PS: you should change the thread title, OP., my opinion. The world has changed.

#18 Deckard, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Clutch, 90dmswo and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

Thank you all for the kind and helpful comments.
    I am aware that the title of the thread misdirected many of you. I apologize for my insensitivity. I would like to edit the thread title but I am not sure how to do it. I am also unable to figure out how to delete this thread.

I reported this thread as being problematic and asked to delete this threat completely.

If all things fail, please do not reply to this thread so it gets washed away.

#19 90dmswo, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Sajan likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

UH, Sam Houston, Lamar....