1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Also, as a data point, Padres pitcher Jose Torres got suspended 100 games early this year. Why the difference? I do not know.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm assuming this is sarcasm.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's very commendable and should be applauded. I don't think it is the same as the Astros trading for Osuna. At least that's not the impression that the team is giving.

4. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Don't you mean sell this to you? I mean this is all about you and your opinion.

I also love how somebody wants somebody else to make them/ public to feel better by fantasy spending others money!

#684 Smacktle, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

His actions off the mound are just as important. If he pitches well but it looks more like he committed the crime and doesn't seem repentant, there will still be a cringe factor.

Like I was saying earlier, people want to give others a second chance if they feel there has been what they consider just punishment and some form of changed behavior. No one gave the blue Jays a hard time before and during the suspension. Not until he got traded.

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

There is nothing wrong with posting opinions. It's the opinions that are posted and take a morally superior tone which I have a problem with.

My comments have largely been in reaction to those. Although I did say early on that I was on board with the move.

Nobody on this board is condoning domestic violence, yet some folks decide to take a verbose moral stance against it, as if we all need to be educated on the horrors of domestic violence. It's to these valliant internet crusaders that I say: shut your mouth.

Htown Stros and Nook like this.
  7. Houston_Rockets

The funny thing about this fake morality BS is that those great men on the Blue Jays organization decided early on that he would never pitch for them again, because this evil man has no part in their clubhouse, with the media guys all over it with the praise.

So again, Osuna is a monster, his actions are more important then any top tier talent he has, and it is wrong to talk and value him as a player because he is a woman beater (even tho nobody knows the actual facts about the incident, but let's assume anyway).

So it is okay to trade him?
    I repeat is it okay to trade him away, valuing him as a player, so that you get some baseball talent back for this monster human being?

But it is wrong to trade for him?
    I repeat is it wrong to trade for him, valuing him as player, so that you get an elite young closer for peanuts because he is a monster human being?

So why are the Blue Jays the good guys and the Astros the bad guys? is this about baseball or morals?

People are so worried nowadays, to sound like a complex, fully mature and thought out individual/organization, that they don't understand just how basic and clueless they come across.

IowaAstro and pacman0590 like this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Osuna HEB commercials are going to be hilarious.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If you go to the Texans forum you’ll get people mocking them for being choir boys. Astros pick up a kid from detention and there’s a lot of groans.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Nice! You belittle another person’s personal experience and how it impacts her emotions towards the addition of Osuna to the Astros. Shows what kind of person you are. I may not express her exact sentiments but I respect her.

The Beard likes this.
  11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You obviously did not read all of her posts. Her personal experiences about domestic violence happened a couple years. So it has obviously affected her.

12. Senator

Senator Member

It's not about people being hypocrites, it's about a new climate where women have a much stronger voice in perceived injustices. Yeah, sports has always had filthy players, but the metoo movement shows always isnt the new norm. I understand women (and men ) being put off by this not based on experience alone, but the fact they finally have a say in this kind of behavior when they never did before. And they want people to know its not OK no matter how rich or talented you are.

So I
    Said it before, say it again. Hes a nasty dude with a job to do, root for him to do his job, then ignore him and celebrate the good guys. You've got no problem rooting for abusers like Manziel and Johnny depp because they're safe white guys who have no strength to do damage, but when a big ugly Mexican does it, mouths start salivating. That's the real media hypocrisy here.

Houstunna and Malaya like this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I dont think the race card is dominant in this situation. I think the spotlight is on the champs. And the spotlight seems even brighter locally.

Houstunna likes this.
  14. baubo

baubo Member

I don’t begrudge anyone who stops being an Astros fan because, for any personal or moral reason, cannot root for the success of Osuna. I don’t think it’s bad if one wants to use this opportunity to bring more light to domestic violence issues. In fact, I feel DV is an issue that should be talked about more in society.

However, at the end of the day, does anyone believe that people who have had alleged domestic violence history should never hold a job again? That is, should Osuna be banned from MLB? And to me the answer is no. And clearly multiple team (cause the Astros certainly weren’t the only team who enquired and the Jays didn’t outright cut him) also don’t believe this. So I will begrudgingly accept this, and I hope Osuna has changed his ways. But if not, I hope the Astros have the gut to cut him. Not trade him. Just Cut him.

Nook likes this.
  15. Senator

Senator Member

#1 factor is the new climate regarding abuse, and that's fine.

But do you think the reaction would be all in if Manziel did his abuse this year instead of before the metoo movement? I cant say for sure, but little white boys who abuse get too many free passes from the media.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what "seems repentant" would even look like.

I'm sure most of the Astros look like "good guys" to you because you know very little about their personal life or past demons... but it shouldn't surprise you if some of their actions they've committed seem morally unjust and yet they "seem repentant" at any slightest public issue...

17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The jays didn’t shop Osuna last year. Why would they? An elit closer at 22 yrs old with 3 and half yrs of control left. The only thing we heard was the Astros were interested. Not the blue jays shopping him.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re seriously bringing race into this one? How on earth has Manziel not gotten a worse deal than Osuna? He was out of a job for how long? Osuna still has a job and really isn’t getting a lot of push back besides social media. All I can say is wow

19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Because people viewed the Jays got rid of the problem they don’t care the method they used. It’s optics plain and simple

20. Nook

Nook Member

Osuna isn’t likely to say much anytime soon. He didn’t say much in Toronto the last three years. He is a relief pitcher that isn’t terrible with the media but isn’t overly interested in speaking either.

Obviously he cannot have any legal issues anytime soon. Even a DUI would probably result in his release the next year or so.

From what I am hearing he has been home in Mexico and the team is working on having him bring a support system with him to Houston.

Nimo likes this.