1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Thanks man, appreciate it.

jch1911 likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@HealthyHamstring

A much simple version of that trade could be done.

Anderson, Onuaku + 1st to ATL

Nene, Qi to Mia

Bazemore, Johnson to Hou

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I agree that Porter is a better fit on paper, I just value Johnson’s versatility more. To me, Porter is the opposite of versatile, he’s strictly 3&D, a Danny Green on steroids. No one calls PJ Tucker versatile just because he can defend positions 1-5. I suppose you can specify defensive versatility but I’m talking about overall game. Johnson is like Diaw or Anthony Mason, a forward that is comfortable with the ball in his hands and can pass. That’s more rare than shooting. Johnson is a solid defender anyway, posting up better DWS and DBPM than Tucker. He’s not a sieve.

It’s not like Porter is even an elite lockdown defender. He’s a good team defender with solid length, but not the most physical player. He’s better on a Derozan type scorer than a Lebron or Melo type. I call him soft because on offense he is afraid of contact. He can’t drive at all and relies heavily on spot up jumpers. He draws almost no free throws. You’d think he was Ryan Anderson. Johnson is physical on offense and despite not having great range has a respectable 57.4 TS% over the past four years. Range is beautiful, but in the playoffs I want to see more aggressive drives. You may have been happy with those looks in game 7, but I'd like other options too.

For a starting SF, Porter would be a great fit. However he makes $27M/year, has a 15% trade kicker, and would rely on others to create all his shots. That doesn’t sit well with me. I didn't peg Johnson as a starter, I envisioned him as a reserve that could help run the second unit and take playmaking duties off of Harden and CP3, which is important as CP3 gets older. Plus, staggering Harden and CP3's minutes isn't even an option if one of them gets injured.

joshuaao likes this.
  4. HealthyHamstring

I wish that was the case, do you think Nene and Qi gets James Johnson @ThatBoyNick

5. rocketseagles07

Exactly. People talking like a couple extra inches will matter when KD is 7ft. And batums height won’t matter because he’ll be hurt

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Jordan and Kobe are 0 for life at winning rings without Phil Jackson.

Pat likes this.
  7. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

not really a fan of bazemore... he puts in solid effort on defense and has a great wingspan.. but i've seen him play a lot, from gsw LAL to atl, and he often tries to do too much especially on the offensive end, rarely makes the extra pass, takes a little too many gambles on defense and often plays outside the structure of the team. he never struck me as a team player. not a fan of his bball iq.

on top of that, he talked crap on houston in 2016 free agency and he's still best buds with steph curry.

Plowman, Richie_Rich, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  8. tc0330

tc0330 Member

eric gordon had injury problems too. batum/anderson have the same contract but batum has an extra year thats a player option. batum would at least be useful. the only other person i like is bazemore, same contract but better player all around - and no extra year. also, its not like we have the pick of the litter with this anderson trade so we cant be all "i dont want him blah blah blah". if we can get more from the new player than we do anderson for the same amount of money or less then its a win regardless.

dreamshakin, Hui, mockster and 3 others like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

You forgot @ch44.

10. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Beggars can't be choosers. Can't compassion much about getting any fairly useful player in return for Anderson who most think will have little use to the team .

11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Yes him too

D-rock and whiskeyred like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That would be significant cap relief for them. J.Johnson has a 3/45 contract which will likely be negative for the next 2 seasons. Not sure if that’s what the Heat want but I feel like it’s fair value for the cap space.

joshuaao likes this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm warming to the idea of marvin williams. most people assume he's the throw-in in a MKG trade, but its the other way around! marvin shot >40% from 3 last year. and his advanced stats on D are only a hair below ariza. marvin's drtg was 109 vs aria's 107. DBPM was 0.5 vs ariza's 0.7. marvin has 1.4 stl%, 1.5 blk% and 10.0 reb%. ariza was 2.1 stl%, 0.5 blk%, ad 7.3 reb%. marvin is better on O and only slightly worse on D. i'd take that with MKG just as a throw in / extra body on KD in the WCF.

chandler would be a great buyout target. maybe its worth saving the rest of the MLE for buyout season.

miami's mason is james johnson and i think he'd top my realistic wish list. he's got ariza's advanced stats on D, with way more rebounding, blocks, and assists. those were all be huge upgrades from ariza. we'd actually be better than last year. not a great shooter but i'll take it.

birds might be a hint at the hawks / bazemore. he's be an improvement on offense with similar (or better) advanced stats on D to ariza. only knock is his size/weight. he's got a 7'0 wingspan which allows him to guard players much larger than himself at 6'5, so he CAN start at SF. however, he CAN NOT play PF. its a solid plug in our sf hole but not as ideal for switching everything or guarding Kd like johnson is. i'd put him 3rd after johnson and marvin.

sac is shumpert. morey liked him for a while. this to me is a fallback. he could add depth at the 1-2-3 and would be more productive than ryno. either we take back a TPE by using their capspace, or we match salaries with ending contracts like koufos or zebo. good trade but doesn't replace ariza like the first 3 options do.

memphis being loud is scary. we shouldn't be interested in conley, gasol, or parsons. temple, green, and a minimum contract guy would work but would send them into tax land which they definitely don't want to do for ryno. so... back to parsons? no thanks. ryno is actually the better player on the better contract. i'd need a pick to come back with that deal lol.

well that sucks. butler would've been amazing! what does kawhi's trade have to do with butler? did the raptors set the price too high for trading for stars?

so the wiz will take ryno but what we get back doesn't fit our 3 & switching D needs, so we have to find a 3rd team. seems easier to go with marvin, johnson, or bazemore. of course it all depends on what picks/assets we are sending with ryno in each deal, and what we might be able to get by flipping the wizards offer. we're not getting wall, beal, or porter... and i don't think they want to raise their tax bill so i bet they're looking to break even or send out more money. that means mahinmi, morris, and/or rivers. i'm happy to hear we aren't interested in those guys and are looking for a team to take them and give us what we want.

if the bolded statement is connected to the sentence before it. the wizards have jason smith and jodie meeks. maybe we have interest in one of them but would look to flip mahinmi? or is the J a throwback reference to the jimmy butler rumblings? either way nothing imminent.

i'd sum up cod's post by saying it sounds like the rockets are trying to get james johnson since he's the wild card. if we can't, we know we have marvin and bazemore on the table. which one we go for depends on what we have to add with ryno. and on the flip side the wizards, kings, and grizzlies might actually be interested in ryno but it seems only the kings can offer anything we want.

@Codman thanks for posting its always appreciated. without the doc rockets, cybers and cods this board wouldn't be what it is. keep kicking cancers ass. glad you hear you're out running! can you give any more info about memphis being loud? what could we possibly like on that roster?! tell me they just want ryno but we aren't interested.

delishman, D-rock, dlite316 and 17 others like this.
  14. Nachobar

Nachobar Where’s my chips?

All you have to do is ask

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Sup?

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yes, please.

That's about the best that we could possibly ever hope for all things considered.

I said two years ago Otto Porter would be the PERFECT replacement for when Ariza finishes.

Maybe he's available after Dwight sinks the Wiz. But I find it hard to believe the Wiz listen to anything for him right now that isn't a clear upgraded player.

joshuaao likes this.
  17. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Is Kent Bazemore a good defender against small forwards? He seems more like an Eric Gordo b replacement by size and position played. We're they after Bazemore before Eric Gordon anyway? I like them both not sure they are great on the court together just my opinion

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Love it! However, ATL may still need more to downgrade from Baze to Anderson.

I personally think MIA should throw in more here, since they are shedding so much long-term salary. My revision to your trade would be that MIA sends 2019 1st to ATL, and HOU sends 2019 1st to MIA. Dropping 10 spots in the 1st round is worth $35 MM+ in salary savings (plus luxury tax too!).

If that still isn't enough for ATL, we could route Qi to ATL and Onuaku to MIA, since Qi is a more enticing asset (better prospect and non-guaranteed).

The open question here is if Tillman is willing to pay that tax bill. We'd have ~$145 MM in salary obligation after this trade (assuming Melo signs at vet min and Melton gets the same deal as Hartenstein). That incremental $6 MM we'd take on in this trade would cost us $20 MM in incremental luxury tax, bringing our total team bill to ~$195 MM!

IMO, it's either Bazemore OR Johnson. The value of adding that second guy doesn't match the punitive luxury tax we'd pay. Flipping Ryno (and Onuaku) for one of Baze/Johnson would actually LOWER our tax bill this year, which I'm sure Tillman would appreciate.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Hope we get James Johnson. Would be the ideal fit amongst all these realistic targets. Can play both the 3 and 4 positions.

20. Chamillionaire

Thanks bro. Great job.