1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston selected For Verizon 5G service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dubious, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

FryG? GTFO with that! Transmitters every 1000yrds? #DoNotConsent

4. Poloshirtbandit

We did the trial for it last year. Pretty good service but the equipment was a bit much.

Edit: guess I should read the whole thing. Ours was Internet only.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Will this only be available within the Houston city limits or will it bleed out to the suburbs like Pearland, Sugar Land, etc.?

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Just stick to the boonies and let us inner loopers worry about when we'll send the techs your way.

7. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I have read that 4G isn't even really 4G just the closest thing they can get to it.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I'm desperate for real internet service! Anything's better than Xfinity and U-verse!!

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

What's wrong with xfinity? I have no issues in pearland.

And you think verizon can do a better job? I switched to their phone service earlier this year and I am ready to go back to AT&T (thought I would never say that)...or hell even T Mobile.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The test area they used was in Tomball so I'm hoping we'll be getting it in Cypress.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Brain tumors everywhere

Torn n Frayed and Sajan like this.
  12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Will this work with Tmobile?

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So just to be clear: is this just for mobile data plans? Or can you use this 5G Verizon is rolling out as in home wifi?

Also, related: I saw that AT&T is planning to put 5G in Houston soon.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Is this true 5G according to the right specs?

Not the sh** att and tmobile pulled for 4G when they should have called it 3G+ or something.
    Then verizon had to clarify it to "4G LTE".

Edit: ATT fking sh*t up again.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/25/...ion-network-lte-advanced-misleading-marketing

And yes, what AT&T is referring to as “5G Evolution” may be faster than its current 4G networks, but calling it 5G is a meaningless marketing move designed to confuse customers and make AT&T seem like it has a technological leg up on the cutting edge of wireless technology. It is, plainly speaking, bullshit.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not technically true 5g, it’s Verizon’s proprietary version to be first to market. It’s limited to home Internet and specialized devices. True 5g along with mobile 5g is expected later next year.

But with promised speeds of around 300 down, no data caps, and at $50/month... I couldn’t care less what the tech behind it is. Just as long as it works.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

My biggest concern is the latency. I wonder what that will be like on this Verizon service.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Latency is not an issue. 5 mile 5ghz wireless connections with 1ms latency is common with off-the-shelf radios.
    Rain fade is a huge issue. Fog, smog, dust, pollen ... all of this will degrade the connection. Light rain will cause significant loss. Heavy rains can completely drop the connection. Also a clear line of site will be needed. This is actually more difficult than it sounds.

Over saturation of the AP is also very significant.

When its all set and done, nothing beats a hardwire connection. There will be plenty of useful applications, however its not going to disrupt the the industry. It reminds me the Google Fiber initiative. Those who were fortunate to get it called it a huge success. The other 99.5% percentage of us who never got it call it a failure.

19. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Great info. What you described sounds like it could have worse potential disruption than a satellite dish. If it's available I may try it out but alongside my true fiber connection. Don't think I'd give it up unless it's amazing

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

RF is simple to break down in laymen terms. Basically, the higher the frequency, the more bandwidth you can push through and the less power it takes, pound for pound. The draw back is attenuation, or loss of power. Since higher frequency uses less power, the signal doesn't go as far.

AM radio, which is between 540-1600khz, requires massive amounts of power to transmit and goes a long long way. however the bandwidth is crap, thus why AM always sucked over FM.

FM radio uses 88-108Mhz. It doesnt go as far, but you can actually push high quality content through. This is why FM radio has done better than AM.

Skipping over to cellular, there are plenty of bands. 850mhz, 1900mhz, 2100mhz .. and recently 700mhz. Initially the cellular industry started with 850mhz. Verizon and ATT have consolidated most of this band, which is why they are superior to Sprint and Tmobile. Sprint and Tmobile use mostly the higher band. Again, higher frequency, high bandwidth, but poorer building penetration. When 700mhz went up for auction a few years ago, Verizon bought a large swath of coast-to-coast in this band. The rest has been divided up with the rest of the carriers. This is a large contribution why Verizons LTE coast-to-coast LTE network is superior than to all others.

Then you jump up to 2.4Ghz, which is in the WIFI range. Great building penetration for a house but lower bandwidth compared to the 5Ghz routers. 5Ghz routers are terrible with building penetration.

There has been a lot of push to use the 3Ghz range. I think google was looking to use this. There is not a lot of bandwidth allocation in this range to make it useful in a wide range.

Jumping to satellite, the most common in the US is a KU (12-18Ghz) and KA (26.5-40Ghz). Dish network uses KU for their TV. DirecTV uses KA. Dish Network will less likely go out in the rain, but their picture quality is inferior to DirecTV. DirecTV will lose signal in the rain much quicker.

Then when we talk about 5G, we are looking at 28Ghz for Verizon. When using satellite, all of that power is focused on the reflector and sent out to space. These Verizon AP's can't push out too much power for health concerns like you can on a satellite dish. Basically you don't want to be microwaving people. It will be interesting to see how well it plays out.

Torn n Frayed and KingCheetah like this.