1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros call up Tucker (Starts in LF Today)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rox225, Jul 7, 2018.

1. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

In a starting LF capacity, sure I give the nod to Kemp... but we all know that spot probably will be occupied by one of Tucker/Marwin/trade acquisition once we get to the postseason leaving Kemp/Marisnick bench options. And you can't really argue that Kemp is a better off the bench/4th outfielder type than Marisnick (although I could see both making the team at that point).

2. Buck Turgidson

Generally, you can catch a good bit live and on a replay if the tv crew abides. Not on routine stuff, but on any "special" play involving runners or a hit taken away they'll start from when the ball is hit and just focus on the fielders. But you are very, very correct. But it's also not very hard to see if a guy takes a really bad route (where did he start? what's the vector of the ball? what angle is he taking? where does the ball end up?), and it's virtually impossible to miss if a guy has a weak arm after a few meaningful throws.

Pro tip for when at the stadium: when the crowd goes "OOOOOHHHHH" every time a fly ball is hit over the infield, just watch the OFers, they'll tell you where it's going. Why broadcasters can't pick up on this I have no idea. Because they cry "DEEEP DRIVE caught short of the warning track" just as bad as the fans do, especially Kalas.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I broadcast games in the Northwoods League (college wooden bat league probably second only to the cape) for a year. I got fooled a couple times and felt really silly when I thought a ball was crushed and then got caught two steps short of the warning track.
    The movement on a hard hit ball (like shagging in the OF during batting practice) is just unbelievable at field level and not at all captured while watching on tv. It’s unbelievable how much some of those liners curve when the ball is well struck on the barrel. Really changed my appreciation for what goes on out there defensively in the bigs.

4. Buck Turgidson

That's seriously awesome about the Northwoods. When you say "broadcast" you mean with microphone?

Shagging balls is right, I was in my late 20's and froze like an idiot once or twice in LCF, because I didn't know where the heck the ball was actually going and it scared the hell out of me. And this was just BP with the Rice team.

Anything to the side you can get an angle on. A topspin liner hit right at you is the total worst.

kaleidosky likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My grandson got to announce the batters for the Wilmar team of the NWL one half inning. To make a long story short, I had him announce Wilmar hitter Jason Newman and then say "hello Newman". Crowd and pressbox cracked up. Not sure about Newman.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes. I was assistant GM out of law school for a summer and traveling secretary. On the road I did color. At home I ran the sound board.
    I remember the first time I was shagging balls in the OF during batting practice I was in CF. The ball was hit and I took 2 or maybe even 3 steps to my right, and it ended up something like 30 feet to my left. Now, these guys weren’t major leaguers obviously (but some did go on to become big leaguers) but it was batting practice so I imagine the exit velo matched up pretty well with what you’d see in the bigs
    Also, from watching games with my buddy who’s skipper in the college level (something like 2 or 3 time NAIA coach of the year) I realized I knew baseball but not near as much as I thought.
    Also, I realized that those guys are idiot savants about their craft but man, it doesn’t extend beyond that for most of them.
    I went up there to see if I could be an agent, got offered a job full time as a general manager, but just didn’t see any way I was going to be able to walk down either path into organized baseball.
    That was 2002. I might have still had a chance back then if everything broke right and I got super lucky. But, the thing is it’s harder to get a job in a FO than to be on a 25 man roster, and I just didn’t like my odds.

Buck Turgidson and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Considering what Kemp is hitting and he was platooning with Marisnick, it should let us know that Astros don't value Kemp's defense highly.

MrBear1 likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep.

Also, roster construction for a 162 game marathon is different than a 5 game short series sprint. It's odd to me that people might think Kemp up here as an extra OF means he has the upper hand on playoff roster.

9. Senator

Senator Member

You either got it or you dont. If you dont, everything comes much harder to you and you overanalyze. I played baseball growing up as an outfielder, you'll know if you have a feel for it.

10. raining threes

Never said they did.

I'm just saying Kemp is far from as bad as some on hear make him out to be.

He makes all of the routine plays.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With making routine plays with occassional good play and having a weak arm, he is going to have to hit. He hits like he has and it isn't a problem. However, it is hard to he a corner OF without plus defense or power. There is a lot of pressure for him to make good contact often as it is the primary source of his value.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I used to go to games with a buddy who every time the fans would overreact to a fly out would yell at no one in particular "Watch the outfielders people!".

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is a Kyle Tucker thread right? Wanna make sure I'm not posting in the wrong place.

Looking better. He has seemed really nervey, as should have been expected. Came through with a huge hit and scored the winning run.

14. Screaming Fist

Tucker's xwOBA is .384 - a lot higher than I thought it would be. He's been putting a lot of velocity on the ball and already has three batted balls with an exit velocity of 100+ including a barrel on a fly ball.

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Yea he's adjusting, and starting to hit the ball harder more consistently. I'm not worried about him at all. I think he really starts to take off after the all star break, assuming he takes that time to study film and the pitchers he's going to be facing. I think right now he's just playing on talent and instinct alone, once he has time to adjust to the travel and the big league life, he's going to be just fine.

16. Buck Turgidson

Needs to get the ball off the ground more, but it's too early to make any real analysis other than he's had some good swings.

eta: Also, interesting note from last night: Davis up in the 9th, 1st/2nd 0 out, Houston shifts instead of playing traditional double play defense up the middle. Davis hits into a wouldabeen double play but instead gets an RBI single. 11th, man on 1B nobody out, A's elect to not shift again on Tucker and instead set up for the DP. Tucker grounds it exactly where the shifted 2B would have been.

Baseball is a funny game.

#136 Buck Turgidson, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  17. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

My dude looks like an infant dinosaur.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

19. Buck Turgidson

It's a shame that "Baby Giraffe" was already glossed onto Lidge. He reminds me of that. Or a stork.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's got to deliver before getting the nickname "Stork".

Buck Turgidson likes this.