1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Too Early Speculation] Melo or No Melo - WHO ARE THE ROCKETS STARTING 5?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Was there a time limit on the Rockets' offer? Because if they said "here's our offer, let us know if someone else beats it" then he's doing what he ought to do. But if they said "here's our offer, stands only for 24 hours" then he has messed up. But I doubt the Rockets would take that hardline approach.

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's a good point however it's 10 days since free agency opened and a lot of teams have already used their capspace. I'd think, as an agent, I would advise my client to negotiate around that 5/85 instead of looking for something that might not be there this summer (e.g. 4/100)

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This lineup would be stout.

PG: CP3 / MCW / Melton
    SG: Harden / Gordon / Green
    SF: Bazemore / Ennis
    PF: Tucker / Melo / Zhou
    C: Capela / Nene / Hartenstein

2-Ways: Edwards / Clark

14 players. Leave a roster spot open for financials and flexibility
    -Get Melo.
    -Get Ennis.
    -Trade Anderson/Nanu and sweeteners/cash for Bazemore.

joshuaao and htownrox1 like this.
  4. mightybosstone

Tucker is definitely starting, and I wouldn't rule out Ryno starting next to him assuming that he doesn't get traded this offseason. If he does get traded, it will inevitably be for a starting wing who can play next to Tucker. But if the Rockets add Melo, I do think there' a chance he starts. But I think he'll have to earn that starting spot over the next few months. If he plays well with the starters, I wouldn't rule out him playing in the starting five. If he's better with the second unit, though, that's where D'Antoni and Morey will expect him to play.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Chris Paul
    James Harden
    PJ Tucker
    Carmelo Anthony
    Clint Capela

6th man off bench: Eric Gordon

End of rotation guys: Gerald Green, Nene some nights, and we're not done yet...

I mean, that's just my feel. Tucker can guard 1 through 5 so him at 3 doesn't seem off. With respect towards defense, I think with Paul at 1, Tucker at 3, and Capela at 5...then Melo could fit in the starting line up at the 4 and not have our Net Rtg suffer.

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Cp3/Gordon/Melton
    Beard/Swag/Mcw
    Ennis/GG/Scrub
    Melo/Tuck/Scrub
    Capela/Nene/Joe Chee

Ryno and a #1 were traded for a protected 2045 2nd round pick.

7. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Paul
    Harden
    Tucker
    Anderson
    Capela

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Definately would say this is an improved team

CP3/Ennis/MCW/Melton
    Harden/Gordon
    Bazemore/Green
    Tucker/Melo/Clark
    Capela/Hartenstein/Nene/Zhou

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The Kings still have space, I think, since Chicago matched LaVine. Who the hell knows what they'll do at any given time.

I don't see how he has anything to lose by waiting, but he might gain something. So, I'd wait. He can negotiate around that 5/85 next week or the week after. Either way he won't be getting paid again until November (I think).