1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegas Summer League 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 22, 2018.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Melton looks good if MCW doesn't bring it then I know he can play some.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  2. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

You guys with your hot takes after a few min Jesus christ. That was qi's best overall exhibition game. He's getting used to the speed. Hartenstein is very solid for his age. He's in our future plans. Once we stuck with our gleague/2way guys we took over. I like hunters game on our current roster way more than market brown. Duval has the talent but has such a hill to climb to be nba ready. Melton is going to be stud.

roslolian, Vivi, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

So he's a younger, more energetic Omer Asik?

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm wondering what happened to the people who wanted to sign Duval to the max.

(My point is that patience and internet are opposites. We need the whole summer league to even start to see what we have in these guys).

roslolian and Little Bit like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Commentators mentioned how the Warriors wanted to beat us in this game. Warriors put Bell back into the game late.

roslolian, D-rock, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even though it's just Summer League, gotta admit, kid looks much better than I expected.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Quite the opposite, Asik had decent footwork and could finish, he just had hands of stone.

kiwirocketsfan likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He looked comfortable out there. He even dunked with a bit of force. If he had stamina, strength and quickness, he would be on the Rockets as a rotation player.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It was a solid game and I LOVE coming from behind to beat the Warriors, even if its just Summer League. Great hustle by the team and we got to see some different guys step up.
    - Melton's shot looked terrible in GM 1 and passable in GM 2 (though he still needs work). He was a bit indecisive in the first half, but turned that around in the 2nd half. So far, I'm really liking what we got with the 46th frickin' pick.
    - Hartenstein put together another solid game. Love that he makes his FTs look effortless. Solid rebounder.
    - Duval was playing too fast and trying to do too much--maybe trying to impress CP3?
    - I'm not a fan of RJ's game, but damn if he didn't have a solid outing. I just don't think he's NBA material, but could have a decent career overseas.
    - Onuaku was tonight's biggest surprise for me. He really turned it up in 4Q. Glad to see he isn't a total waste, earned some DM trade points tonight.
    - I was disappointed we didn't get to see Rob Gray get involved much in the offense. He did have a nice assist to Zhou for a corner 3.

BigMaloe, DonKnock, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Joe Cheese's defense always impresses me, he really looks comfortable on defense only.

DonKnock, roslolian, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

My take:

joe has a chance to be the backup center by year's end. he's already an elite rim protector. now we're seeing a more consistent 3pt shot. he has the lateral quickness to switch onto the perimeter and the length to recover if he gets beat. he still has flaws of course! i'm not saying he's an all star. however, i think he has enough nba talent to give us better minutes than nene depending on matchup.

melton is not a PG. others have said that already. he reminds be of avery bradley or marcus smart. he, with joe, has the opportunity to be the 9th or 10th man. his shooting will limit him, but he can play D and rebound for his position. it might be enough to get him in the games where CP3 doesn't play.

hartenstein looks like a solid big. plays tough. can probably turn into a guy who gets under people's skin of the bench. i bet he makes the team this year.

hunter, nanu, house, edwards, brown, duval, and clark are fighting for the last 2 roster spots (assuming we bring back capela and LMM, sign melton and isaiah, and use the MLE).

Possum, BigMaloe, freckleslol and 3 others like this.
  14. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I’d really like to see Gary Clark and Adel. Personally, I’m sick and tired of seeing Markel Brown. It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t have the skill set and ability to play at the NBA level so I don’t k is why he needs more minutes to be evaluated. My assessment:

Brown: Too weak, turn over prone, poor decision maker, and overall a whiner. He gets into the lane and doesn’t know what to do with the ball. The one play where he blew the layup by getting it blocked, he turned around and walked off as the other guy streaked down the floor for an uncontested 3. Pathetic!

Qi: I still think he has time to develop because of his youth. Has great length in the shower in ability to block shots. Is three ball is starting to come around which is a good sign.

Hartenstien: He looks improved from last year. He’s a decent rebounder and has good size. He’s not real quick but he knows what to do with the ball when I get it. He’s a decent free-throw shooter two, which is good to have on the bench as big. I think he’s a keeper it would be a serviceable back up center.

House: He needs to improve defensively but he has good size and he’s added some muscle to his frame in the last few years. He’s capable of hitting the three, and he’s pretty athletic. I’d like to see him be a little more aggressive but he wouldn’t be a bad bench player at the SF position, especially since we haven’t replaced Ariza. Perhaps we put him in the D league if Melo is signed.

Rob Gray: incomplete. Injured?

Melton: I didn’t realize He was out all of last year and just started playing ball again. It looked pretty good at the off guard position and it’s pretty comfortable handling the ball. If he can improve his shot ass a chance to make the team because I was defensive ability. Probably I D League player so he can continue to develop.

Duval: he had an off game today but I still like his potential in both ends of the floor. I made a couple of sweet dishes and clearly has the quickness and strength to get into the lane. Probably another deal a player who develop a shot and get acclimated to the speed of the game.

Adel: incomplete
    Gary Clark: incomplete

Hunter: Streaky shooter that doesn’t have the strength or lateral quickness to defend at the NBA level. He can hit a three at the Summerlin and I doubt he gets a good look in the NBA.

Onusku: He had a few layups but for a guy that stands 6’ 10” he’s not a very good rebounder, and has absolutely no offense. All of his pints came courtesy of the guards that made a couple of assists. Time to waive this guy.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. BackdoorHarden

WE could be Champions if we put in JOE CHEE for those 8 minutes that Ryno gotten and gotten torched by Curry!

JOE CHEE Can defend!

WHAT IF JOE CHEE PLAYED INSTEAD OF RYNO? WE CHAMPIONS

[​IMG]

17. htownballa1622

I don't need to see Markel Brown at all anymore.

2 on 1 with Duval streaking down lane on right side and he doesn't even look at him for the oop.

You could tell duval was off the entire game and that play could've helped him but no. Brown thinks we wanna see him. Smh

skroodup25, D-rock and UTSA2step like this.
  18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

And draining 3s
    3 feet beyond arc

Possum and D-rock like this.
  19. Zergling

Zergling Member

There are a number of intriguing wings on the roster. Hopefully some of them pan out, and I'm betting is Melton, Edwards, and House.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Brown has regressed. He doesn't need to be on the Rockets. I'm in total agreement with you about Clark and Adel. Nanu should be traded if possible. I hope we will see some playmaking from Melton. He can pass the ball. Let's hope for the best.

D-rock likes this.