1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Maid Park lease extension

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, Jul 6, 2018.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I can’t foresee a newer ballpark being better.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Absolutely no reason to build a new park anytime soon. Almost 20 years in and the park still feels perfect. Plus the Astros still must like the revenue generation, a testament to quality.

Still find it beyond comprehension somebody thought an open air stadium in Texas was wise.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Well they are the rangers so .......

5. Nook

Nook Member

MMP doesn’t get the type of respect it deserves outside of Houston. I’ve seen a game at every stadium sans 2-3 and MMP is in the top 5-6 stadiums in baseball. It has aged exceptionally well.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree Nook, and it’s holding up nicely. Gorgeous park and I like the new center field, more viewing

raining threes likes this.
  7. msn

msn Member

Wait didn't the Braves just recently get a new stadium?? As in the last five years or so?

8. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes and they moved to Cobb County. That'd be like if the Astros built a new stadium in Fort Bend County.

Marteen likes this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yes, it is a nice park, but ridiculous to have only spent 20 years at Turner. Turner is still standing, but I have no idea if they every use it. This is year 2 of SunTrust Park.

Awesome that the Astros are looking at 50 years in MMP.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

MMP is fantastic. I’m not sure what you’d do to make it better but it would be unnecessary. Should have a long time left in it.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also wanted to add that it still feels somewhat new... and is still considered a “newer” ballpark.

For comparison sake, when the Astrodome and Summit turned 20 years old, they were already looking to undergo massive needed upgrades to stay relevant, and their tenants were already getting antsy.

Sometimes you just get it right. Baltimore’s ballpark is another example of this.

LUK3, Nook, MadMax and 2 others like this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I bet that is where their fan base is. Baseball is most popular in the burbs.

13. dmoneybangbang

Aside from the ballpark itself, the location is great in my opinion. I live in Austin so we usually get a hotel nearby and downtown has been getting better by the year. Always grab a few pints at Flying Saucer before the game but the food and drink options are getting better in north downtown.

14. Buck Turgidson

If you want to get nostalgic, Ninfas on Navigation runs a shuttle from their restaurant to the game.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

The ole’ falling asleep in the 3rd inning move, courtesy of Ninfa’s classic fajita and queso induced food comas. Dare I say you’re not a true Houstonian without surviving that meal.

SWTsig, Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I did see a national baseball writer on Twitter say MMP was the loudest baseball park he's ever been in.

LUK3, Nook and Nick like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

whoa..is that right??

18. Buck Turgidson

To and from all Astros, Dynamo & Rockets games.

SWTsig and MadMax like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How in the f**k did I not know this.

Last time I ever spend 9 dollars for a "blastoff burger" becuase I didn't have time to eat.

Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its actually uncomfortably loud at times... or maybe its because I now take the young kids to the ballpark regularly.

Now, playoffs are a different beast. Not the place for kids and needs to be as loud as possible.

But a weekday game against the white sox was as intense as any sellout game in the Astrodome... ever.

MadMax likes this.