1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we/should we boycott Nba/warriors?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mockster, Jul 2, 2018.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Any NBA team is just one super star injury away from being not be able to contend. I am just saying. You never know. The basketball god is watching. Let’s pray.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It should be noted it's also the players and media's fault. Look at the way Shaq treats Barkley regarding his lack of rings. Look at the way all media worships "champions." Current players have a lot of feelings and they see what happens to Barkley. The see and feel the narrative of you're nothing without rings that was created by the media and former players. They don't want to be treated like Barkley.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

FWIW I don't have cable so I won't be watching. But that's not because of a league protest; it's because I don't get my money's worth in paying for cable.

Missing Rockets sucks, but it frees up so much time. I'm actually able to get **** done

ghettocheeze, ipaman and deb4rockets like this.
  4. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Very good point but I would be pissed if we had Durant. They did everything under the rules I just cant believe that this generation would want a ring like this,

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They probably lured him with other benefits that more than make up the difference. The average home in the Bay Area is a million dollars, and I am sure there are plenty of enticing extras they offer to those living amongst the rich and famous.

6. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I cancelled my league pass. Totally not interested at this point; especially if Clint isn't resigned. Fertita shouldn't have purchased a team if he couldn't afford to keep the roster intact. I get the feeling we're in for losing good players in the not too distant future.

mockster likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So the Warriors shouldn't try to improve their team, within the rules set forth by the league, out of fairness? Has any professional sports team, in the history of professional sports, willfully chosen to not be better for this reason?

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm hoping it is the opposite. I hope nobody attends the games they play in. I sure wouldn't buy a ticket to see them, or the Lakers vs Warriors. I can't even stand watching them on TV.

bballjunkie likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Pitching and defense wins championships, obvs.

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Do you really think all he was offered is the 5.3 million? I suspect a whole lot of under the counter incentives myself. I'm really shocked everyone else doesn't. Get real people.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I’m just going to watch the rockets and philly games when I get the chance.

12. mockster

mockster Member

Yeah basically, what Team has ever had 5 stars?.

For the sake of competition no they should not being doing that. Because who will care now when it’s obvious there obsolete.

You know a normal successful team would add minor additions yaknow like nick young not two superstars.

You don’t have to take it from me, just take a look at Twitter, they whole nba is in uproar, this is something we’ve never seen before

bballjunkie likes this.
  13. durvasa

You mean, other than being part of a probable championship team for the first time in his career?

What are some of the things you suspect?

14. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

This is unusual for Basketball...but it used to be pretty commonplace in baseball, the Yankees signing some small market teams best player for a platoon guy or bat off the bench.

I am gonna wait to see what Boogie looks like post-injury before I say "the sky is falling"

15. durvasa

The question you should be asking is, what team that had the chance for 5 stars wouldn't take it in a heart beat?

The basic incentive structure needs to change to dissuade star players from teaming up like this. That needs to be something the league does.

But the league shouldn't step in on a selective basis just because one team is too good, and you also can't expect teams on their own to stop signing players out of mercy for other teams.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

not when you have another mvp and other stars to fall back on all in their prime

bballjunkie likes this.
  17. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

I also think Tiger Woods should have stopped practicing after he won the 1997 Masters by 12 strokes. It bothered me to no end that he would still come to the course early to warm up and hit practice balls and do practice putting. Someone who was so dominant should have been paying much more attention to the competitiveness of his sport.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm very close to being done with this league. The rigged Game 7 had me on the edge as a Rockets fan. But now as a NBA fan, I'm ready to throw in the towel. What is the point of even watching the games when we know the eventual champion?

This is worse than 2016. Durant ruined that season by joining a 73-win Warriors team, but at least Golden State wasn't the defending champion. At least we were coming off one of the greatest Finals series of all time. Sure, it was a foregone conclusion that the Warriors would win the 2017 title, but the Cavs were the reigning champs. Now we have Golden State, winners of back-to-back titles, 3 of the last 4 overall, coming off a damn sweep in the Finals.......and adding Boogie Cousins to replace Javale McGee.

Ultimately this is on the players. Adam Silver can't block this move as much as many of us would like him to. The owners already agreed to the salary cap, so they can't do anything about it either. These guys have to have some f'ing pride. Yes, it's nice to have a ring, but if you want to go down as a truly great player, it's even better to actually lead a team to a championship. Not hop on board with a group that's already won a bunch and coast to a title.

malakas likes this.
  19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's the point. Barring injury, no one has a prayer of beating the Warriors. Christ, the Rockets were the ONLY team to give them any competition in the last 2 years and that was BEFORE they added Boogie. And the Rockets have to scramble to replace Ariza now while hanging onto Capela and Luc. And even if they do that, they still have to contend with a corrupt league that dispatches Scott Foster to help out Golden State in a win-or-go-home game.

malakas likes this.
  20. mockster

mockster Member

not a great example, individual sports have no comparison. No one is telling the warriors not to be successful but adding the avengers to an already successful winning team