1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Chris Paul to 4 year, $160M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the decision to re-sign Chris Paul? (4 yrs, $160M)

1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No turning back now, the dice have been rolled. Chris is risky with the injuries, but the money has been dealt. Everyone says be patient about who we get for forwards, but I'm still mad about Anderson, so am venting. Was there ever a 20 million dollar man who was too much of a coward to even take the shots? He was more disappointing than Osweiller to me, because at least Osweiller tried. RYNO couldn't even do that. He actually had the potential to make some 3's before he turned into a cowering shadow of himself. He just passed the ball back like a hot potato so much we couldn't even use him in the playoffs. If he hadn't just given up then maybe we would have actually been able to win those close games with Paul hurt, and brought home the Championship.

I want to trust Morey, but just hope we don't end up with another 20 million dollar RYNO, or have a bunch of guys who have to sit out every other game like Nene, because they need to rest their legs. We traded off most of our 1st and 2nd round draft picks the last few years, except for Clint, and threw scrap money to a few aging but decent players who have more ups and downs than the streets of San Francisco. I'm hoping things change, and we get some more players who can score double digits consistently. I hope we can make this year as fun to watch as last, but with a better ending.

lw17 likes this.
  3. larry cook

larry cook Member

If only he would of. We're so handicapped for the upcoming future with Chris Mr. I can't stay healthy Paul. Durant took a paycut but Chris couldn't cut down on the dollars to help us a stack our team? I mean the guy is littered with cash already. A reasonable deal would be 3 years for 90 mil, right? The guy is littered with cash already not evening including his State Farm and Jordan shoe deal. If Chris asked for more, Morey should have told old man Paul to kick rocks. So many big name free agents to snag next year(Jimmy B, KAT, Kawahi) unfortunately we'll just be sitting ducks watching LA, Boston, and the GSW rise above. The Celtics are sitting pretty with assets and flexibility. Lin costed a first, Brewer costed a first granted we received Lou but was traded smh, Ryan is costing 20mil. which ruined any chance of out right signing Paul straight up with out moving lou, trez, dek, pat and a first(Thanks Morey). We don't have any built talent aside from Capela. Three first round picks traded because of Morey's ineptness, perhaps we could have found a gem like Donovan Mitchell who knows. Seems like the Spurs, GSW, and Celtics thrive on building their structure while the Rockets are being strong armed by a aging player. Do you think Pop or Danny Ainge granted they didn't have a point guard would agree to a 4 year 160 mil deal from an injury prone Chris Paul, absolutely not. They draft better, coach better, and make better financial decisions than us which is unfortunate considering how much people praise Morey. Another year of chucking 3s and boring Iso's with old man Paul and lackadaisical Harden wooooooohooo. I guess it doesn't matter anyway considering what Golden State just did.. lol.

lw17 likes this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

"We don't need Lebron, we just need to re-sign our guys and we'll be fine" - Harden on not recruiting Lebron

We proceed to lose Ariza, Luc and potentially Capella while Warriors signs Cousins for 5mil after Draymond recruited him.

deb4rockets, lw17 and Little Bit like this.
  5. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Don’t worry about later, we don’t have $20 million to spend:D

6. riko

riko Member

Lebron WAS NEVER COMING HERE and Harden knew it. There is no point recruiting someone who had made his mind up well over a year ago he was going to la. Blaming Harden for Lebron not coming here is pathetic.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When he is gone, but we held on to him for a year and longer now. When will he be gone?

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He also said the GSW ain't that good in 2015. Well, he have not beaten them in a series.

I think deep inside he does not even believe himself, he is in his own little bearded universe.

It does not help that Morey cannot follow through, he always gets so close but then has a hard time getting that final piece that the Worriers have easily obtained.

lw17 likes this.
  9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

CP3 is the President of the players Association - and they preach never to take a pay cut. He almost literally couldn‘t have taken a pay cut for us.

As for letting him go - you know how hard it is to Land a star? Have you been here since the T-Mac, Yao days? We basically lucked (Moreyed) into Harden, who wasn‘t a star back then. Before that we were in mediocricity hell. After that - we Tried real hard to get another star. Didn‘t really work out. We got Dwight, but that only shows you, that just getting a name isn‘t enough, it‘s about the fit.

Now we know CP3 fits. And we know we got real close last season. If CP3 was healthy for game 6 or 7, I believe we win the Championship. Out Window is now. I don‘t care what Happens in 4 years. This move means, we will compete at least for the next 2 years. Maybe we can move Ryan at the Trade Deadline with some picks for a guy like Love, and that would make us probably the best team in the League - assuming we keep Capela.

Giving CP3 that contract was the only Option. We weren‘t getting a better player than him - we probably werent getting a player close to the Level of CP3. You get your stars first, then worry about the rest. Harden and CP3 works, let Morey handle the rest.

And as much as it pains a lot of people here - Houston is Not a destination big name FA want to go to...

BigMaloe, lw17, HakeemOnlyFan and 2 others like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not a No1 - No 5 destination but No. 6 when couple places are dried up.

LikeMike likes this.
  11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I love CP3, but there is no way he worths more than Kevin Durant and DeMarcus Cousins combined.

lw17 and PeterKingX like this.
  12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

And there was no way Durant was signing here - Not even for the Max. He wanted to stay. Superstars dictate where they go, you just have to be ready to pay them what they want. We are Lucky, CP3 and Harden both want to be here. That is more than a great Fundation for the immediate Future. And they may attracte other Stars or valuable role players.

13. split41

split41 Member

It's over. Feel bad for Harden, but that's it guys. Boogie going to the warriors, CP3 going to be getting 40+ mil when he's on crutches. Last season was our shot, team played hard, but it's going to be total annihilation next season.

lw17 likes this.
  14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

This is stupid. Season is months off. Rockets aren’t in complete form. Shhh

15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Ariza is a scrub.

LMM is a bigger scrub

Both will be replaced. Easily.

Capella will be back.

Sooo you shh too.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep. That's why it was never likely that he'd do it for Lebron. He simply can't.

What we need to do now is get Harden to start hanging out with Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard, when's the next team USA exhibitions? Harden needs to be on the team.

17. split41

split41 Member

I would be so happy to be proven wrong. It's July 3rd and feels like the season is already over. Also don't think Ariza is a scrub at all, he was great for us in his most recent tenure here, except Game 7.

lw17 likes this.
  18. Rocketfanatic2

Too early for this. Anything can happen in an 82 game season.

Although it is starting to feel more and more like maybe that window closed.

bilaal14 likes this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't see who from the current available nba players will be able to replace BOTH of these guys. maybe sign ennis and swap ryno for bazemore? i can't think of any other bodies we could find and plug in for 3 & D at this point

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The funniest thing is:

CP3 said he wants to win championship.

Lololololololol.

lw17 likes this.