1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Take it for what it’s worth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

mikol13 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Dude, i'm sorry, but you are talking out of your rear. You know how i know? because there is no way you actually know anything about San Antonio if you think there's even a reasonable chance that they will trade Kawhi to LA. That's just not how San Antonio operates. LA can't beat other team's packages for Kawahi, and especially not enough to overcome the downside of sending him to a western conference rival.

Keep being sure in your ignorance. The rest of your statements may be credible. your spurs statement was not. There is nothing forcing the spurs to trade Kawhi to LA. Not gonna happen. it's the only thing i know for sure about this offseason.

Hard_foul likes this.
  3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Kawhi is under contract. The Spurs have plenty of leverage still.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If I had a gun to my head that's certainly the way I would guess it all plays out. That said- if I'm betting that or "all other scenarios" I will jump all over "all other scenarios"

5. Maverick Floor

Fair enough. I can understand where you are coming from.

With the line of work I do (which I have shared in previous posts), I hear some things. One of the projects my agency works on is planning and purchasing media for sport sponsorships with other agencies. One client is ESPN SA. I've heard some things, as recent as this morning, from ESPN SA contacts that the Spurs are willing to deal Kawhi to the Lakers for the right package.

They want to drive up that price as high as they can. That's why they have to create that leverage by putting it out in the media that they will not trade to a WC team, let alone the Lakers. They are bringing in the Celtics in negotiations to help drive up that price, to get as much as they can out of the Lakers. The longer the Spurs wait, the trade offers, from anyone, get exponentially worse. Kawhi wants the Lakers. And Magic and Pelinka are trying to bring him home. They want to bring Kawhi home by his birthday.

#105 Maverick Floor, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Nothing you are saying is breaking news. If they want him, it'll require a king's ransom. A godfather offer (as reported), no need for Spurs to fold... Lakers can want him home by his birthday all they want...

It don't mean a damn thing because if the reports about Lebron wanting to play with Kawhi are true and he (Kawhi) isn't a Laker in the coming weeks it'll fall apart.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i didn't mean to sound snide. i appreciate you sharing what you are hearing. i just don't see San Antonio trading him to LA when so many other teams (east coast teams) can offer comparable or even better compensation.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  8. Maverick Floor

I'm not trying to come up with any new information. LeBron and PG were slated to become Lakers before this Kawhi situation even entered the picture. If a deal for Kawhi does not happen, LeBron and PG are still going to become Lakers. LeBron's not looking to see if PG is signing first or vice versa. Nothing is contingent upon anything else. It doesn't matter if Kawhi becomes a Laker or not. LeBron and PG are Lakers. It's just a matter of time. Nothing will fall apart.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

got to see it to believe it. you're just guessing just like anyone else would be

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Paul George is a max player and OKC will offer him the max, they really are limited in the how they can upgrade the roster if they let a player of PG's caliber just walk. They've already lost KD like that they wont let George leave like that, especially if its over something like offering the max vs not offering the max.

If PG is willing to leave money on the table and go to LA then really more power to him that his choice and he will live with the results of it. But even PG got national endorsements being in Indy and OKC. I am not sure the extra endorsements he would get in LA would offset the loss of the guaranteed money from the NBA contract.

Players have a history of posturing and wanting to force themselves to a situation and ultimately stayed where the most money was offered. Happens more often than not. Few players are willing to make sacrifices financially for a chance of success and usually when it happens its during the later stages of their career and not their prime years.

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Wow, I didn't know LeBron publicly said he wanted to be a Laker...........

Rockets FTW likes this.
  12. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Of what he stated in the post. Those options.

13. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

I doubt PG is going to the Lakers as a sure thing. Remember Lakers refused to use the draft pick to trade for PG with the Pacers? I am sure PG remembers that's how he end up in OKC. The fifth year at 40 mils is a real thing. Do you think Lakers would sign PG to Max when he turns 33/34? While Lebron already retired?

What's with going home means anything to these players. During the season they are on the road most of the time anyway and going home is for them during off season.

Where PG sign in FA would have a big big impact for Lebron and the rest of the league.

Why?

If PG staying in OKC, it sends a strong message to those teams looking to trade for Kawhi that they could also can convince Kawhi to sign an extension.

If PG goes to Lakers, then Spurs may have his hands forced to be trading with either LA teams.

I don't believe in people saying Lebron opt in for one yr and wait for 2019 FA. LeBron doesn't have that time. He's at 33 not 23 he can't sit and wait.

jacoby likes this.
  14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

reputable my behind.

Moleb likes this.
  15. Maverick Floor

Yes, I remember.

The Lakers refused to sweeten their trade offer for PG because they already knew at that point that PG was committed to becoming a Laker. Yes, it was under-the-table. Nothing has changed to this day. So knowing that back then, why would the Lakers surrender anything of value if they knew PG was secured? That's why the Pacers got suspicious when the Lakers never beefed up their offer (along with Magic's Kimmel interview) and had the Lakers investigated which led to the tampering fine. Do you know what kind of communications they found in their investigations?

If you look at all of the personnel moves from the moment Magic and Pelinka stepped into the front office (Russel/Mosgov trade, Lou Williams trade, Clarkson/Nance trade) you will notice that these trades were done in full confidence of knowing LeBron & PG had already decided to become Lakers. They all planned it last year. No one risks that much of their youth for a chance at maybe luring not one, but both, LeBron James & Paul George. Especially trading away D'Angelo so quickly after becoming the Lakers' GM and not even giving him a chance to see how he'd play in the backcourt with Lonzo Ball. You just don't mechanically trade all of those young players that early unless you have that assurance that LeBron and PG are coming.

And to your last point, I didn't say LeBron was going to sign a 1 +1. He is going to sign the 4-year max with the Lakers.

16. esketit

esketit Member

honestly as much as id hate kawhi to the lakers id also hate the spurs getting set up with a ton of young talent lol

17. Maverick Floor

I don't feel like I need to start another thread. I'm just responding to your post.

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I gotta take mavericks side her since this is what i said feom the beginning. People keep killing lebron, but as a whole package l.a. made more sense for him to me then Houston. See my posts in other threads. Yes its about rings but thats not all. Yes its about fam8ly but thats not all. Yess its about lifestyle but thats not all. But if u add all those up equal l.a. is the best fit. Pg n lebron was gonna go to l.a. but with the kwahi thing magic would rather have lbj n kwahi. Thats the only thing to me that changed. Was the opportunity to get Kwahi. N if u think for a sec spurs wouldnt deal him to the Lakers yall are naive. Only thing they wont do is just give him to l.a. everytging maverick said about that i agree with n said the same. Is it foregone conclusion that the Spurs will deliver to the life there's no only if the Celtics do a better deal and honestly if I'm going to Celtics I don't touch Kawhi because I know he wants to go to LA. So they not gonna giv3 up more then Lakers to get him. U could wait to get him if u the lakers but why wqit n risk him falling in love somewhere else. He too good to take that chance. If u can get the 1 n maybe second best player on one team im saleing everything for that. Cquse with just those 2 u can figure out peices to win around them. Thats the power of the best player in the history of the game.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It gets a little tiring to keep reading posts from members who "talk" like they know everything going down, and all they are doing is giving an opinion. Hey, I've got a "source" in SA who has had Spurs season tickets, good ones, for many years. He says hell would freeze over before SA dealt KL to LA. Isn't that exciting? My significant other's brother. Has to mean something, right?

Yeah, sure.

20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

My source was 100% right about paul george

Snow Villiers and DonKnock like this.