1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forrest Whitley Suspended 50 games

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Feb 21, 2018.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

Just came back from the Hooks game. Whitley is simply filthy. He touched 97mph a few times and followed it with an 85mph change. His ability to pitch both up and down in the zone, coupled with the changes of speed, had Missions batters off balance all 4 of his innings. DOMINANT is the one word that came to mind.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. vince

vince Member

I think he is a legit pitching phenom. If he keeps pitching this way, the Astros will have room for him on the starting rotation by at least the start of next season. Guys seeking big contract might have to move to get it.

Never has the organization been his deep. Simply wow!

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's warmed up. Move him to AAA.

5. htownbball

htownbball Member

Would like for him to get into the 6th inning before moving to AAA. Let's see how AA hitters adjust to him 3rd time around, not that they have a chance anyway, but let's have him work for this promotion. Need to make this kid feel like he's earned it after his suspension so he doesn't start feeling like the golden child who can do whatever he wants.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I have seen two of the Astros top prospects in the minors in the last 4 years.

I saw McCullers throw a 2-3 inning stint at the missions game in San Antonio a few years back as well as a Whitley stint last year.

Whitley and McCullers both missed bats by about 6 inches quite frequently(McCullers got moved up shortly there after when I watched him).

Whitley is pro ready right now stuff wise.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Did ever figure out if he is postseason eligible? I know that the initial report was he wasnt but I think I remember some people arguing about the substance.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2018/...est-whitley-suspended-50-games-stimulant-drug

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Now that he is back can we get a new thread? Time to put this 50 game suspension to bed. If I can swing it I'm going to try and catch him at Whataburger Field before he is promoted.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Just use the "Minor League" Thread.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

There were two MLB scouts sitting directly in front of me. The comment I kept hearing from them with regards to Whitley? "It just isn't fair..."

12. tmacfor35

It isn't when you have plus stuff with plus command.

He is going to be up this year at some point, and he will probably be throwing late in games.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. cardpire

cardpire Member

i highly doubt it, but the 50 game suspension may actually increase the chances of that possibility.

14. Buck Turgidson

That's basically what was being said when I saw him in HS. Without the suspension he'd be in Fresno right now. He needs to be challenged once he gets back in the routine of throwing competitive games every 5 days.

15. tmacfor35

If he is throwing 98 in a starter role he seems capable of tossing 99-100 with command. Sounds like a great way to enhance the bullpen without giving up prospects.

Didn't the Rays do the same thing with David Price early on in his career?

16. Buck Turgidson

No***, but teams have done it with high-level prospects before. Like Scott Elarton (I kid, but not too much).

His job right now is to build up arm strength and just get back into game mode. He's only been pitching competitively for a couple of weeks.

*** eta: you are right, Price pitched all of 5 games and 14 innings out of the pen for the Rays, and then threw 5.2 in 5 games in the playoffs that year.

#136 Buck Turgidson, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Whitley had an ex MLB Pitcher taught that Changeup in High School, Whitley said he Loves the Changeup. Whitley has the Roy Halladay comparison with the Changeup

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Luhnow said they were considering bringing Him up last year before the Verlander trade

If he is dominating and already on a low innings count, he will be up

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

that's why i said the suspension helps. still think it would require a lot of things would have to go wrong/injuries to occur for him to be pitching in a significant role this season. maybe he'd pitch some once the roster expands.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Would agree in 95% of situations like this

But I think when you are elite, they will find a way