1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers can now form a super team with Kawhi, PG, Lebron and CP3

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by James.B.H, Jun 15, 2018.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Realistically yes, they can get 3 max players, but they have no shot at 4. It’s impossible under the cap, unless everyone taking paycuts. I see no scenario where PG isn’t a laker if they get Kawhi or Lebron. Which means CP is probably staying.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, amusingly?, one thing that works in our favor for keeping Chris Paul is that he may not be on the menu for the Lakers. He'd only go there if they had Lebron and if they get Lebron in free agency they are going to get Paul George in free agency. That basically rules out CP3.

3. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

The hack here is, both Kawhi and PG's contracts are signed before the big cap increase, so they combined for 40M salary(assuming PG opts in), which is effectively one max player.

Although I am a CBA noob, and made another mistake in the calculation. I didn't take the empty roster charge into account, which will reduce the possible combined salary of Lebron and CP3 to about 51M. And this is not realistic.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If anyone really thinks the Lakers are going to get Kawahi then they are out of their minds...

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Good point!

After this, the Lakers should sign Russell Westbrook. And then they should trade Russell Westbrook for Giannis. And finally they should do a sign and trade of Julius Randle for James Harden and Steph Curry

Os Trigonum and arabrocket like this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

San Antonio will send Kawhi to whomever will give them the best offer period. Someone will offer something better than the Lakers. I think Boston would jump into the fray. They have more assets that SA would want. Kawhi, Kyrie, Hayword, and Horford would be pretty sick.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

3 of those players will end up being 3 of the best to ever play the game.

And then you have Paul George, who's no slouch.

8. mustang98

mustang98 Member

Isn't PG a free agent? He can't opt in. He would need to agree to a new contract with the Lakers and have OKC sign him to it, then trade him. Is that even an option?

9. adoo

adoo Member

you obviously don't know Pop; LeVar Ball's kid is a "no fukking way" for Pop,

among LAL's young ones, Kuzma (who avg 16 ppg/6 reb as a rookie) has the highest ceiling.
    if i was Pop, Kuzma must be in the deal.

But, LAL will work to get Spurs to take on Deng's contract, w 2 yr remaining+ a combo of draft choices and others

should this come to fruition, it will afford LAL more flexibility to get LBJ, and PG​

#29 adoo, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    arabrocket and Trackwell like this.
  10. hakeemthagreat

If Lebron joins 3 other superstars in LA, does that make him a b**** like you say KD is?

arabrocket likes this.
  11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

there are 5 people on the court at a time. that's one position without an all-star. i would say it sounds like lebron needs more help.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

kuzma only looked good because lonzo couldn't shoot. also, kuzma is about 80. ok, 22 years and 326 days but he's not a young rookie. he put up a decent season and he should get better by just not being a rookie but 22/23 year olds don't tend to have a lot of upside left. i don't think ingram will be that great but he's got the length that the others don't have and he had about the same PER as kuzma 2+ years younger. ingram has to be in the deal. kuzma should only be in there if you want to trade him for other assets because otherwise he'll just be an expensive role player one day.

i don't know why the spurs would trade with the lakers. just out of spite, why would you hand a glamour franchise a new superteam for a fraction more in assets that won't really help you? sure, if you were going to tank and didn't care about competing and also if the lakers had a piece like a top 1 or 2 pick i could see trading with them. but not for some decent rookies or some unimpressive picks plus taking deng's contract. i'd find a team willing to take a chance on leonard and get the best offer. sure wouldn't build a super team in my backyard. if you play it out, leonard to LA only makes a superteam if lebron joins. if you just hold onto kawhi until the trade deadline, lebron isn't joining just on that hope. then you trade him after making sure you don't form a superteam.

i hope the spurs are that smart but players seem to get what they want these days even if the team has to help them for no reason.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I stopped at the concept that POP would *TAKE* the deal .. . . .. .
    POP will sit KAwhi's ass down for 2 yrs until he gets the right deal

[​IMG]

Rocket River

14. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

PG has a player's option next year. And our only hope to get him is that he opts in, then we trade Gordan and picks for him.

15. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Lenord has players option after next season, so sitting him for two years isn't an option.

Either pop takes what's on the open, which is a package of several talented young players and picks, or he gets nothing.

16. Soneca

Soneca Member

The math does not add up. They need to either dump or stretch Deng before signing two FA. If they trade him for incoming salary (PG in your scenario), they can only sign one FA. That means the obvious: CP3's staying no matter what the Lakers do.

17. BackdoorHarden

OH YEA???

Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Kobe, and Pau Gasol.

Could have had CP3 on the Lakers if Stern didn't screwed the Lakers

Bank it. Lakers are back!@!!!

The next superteam:

CP3, LBJ, PG, Kawhaii....wooooot SUPERTEAM

LAKERS ARE BACK BABY

18. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

I'm all for it. I hated the Lakers when Kobe was so dominate, but I hate the Warriors so much more. I want the Warriors to never win again. Please let something like this happen to the Rockets, but if not, than to anyone. Can't let GS win any more.

19. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

You're right, there is no possible scenario where LA can acquire both CP3 and LBJ without them taking huge pay cuts.

20. adoo

adoo Member

ur confused w the time line.

Gasol and D Howard were never teammates, LAL traded away Gasol B4 Howard joined the team.

Nash joined the LAL after D Howard left the Lakers