1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dear Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ipaman, May 15, 2018.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes. Casual fans are probably more interested, hard core fans are less interested. Like all leagues, the NBA is more interested in pleasing the casual fans. They can and will click away. Hard core fans complain a lot, but generally keep watching. Until they don't, in droves. But it takes a LOT to get those fans to that point.

BigO likes this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I disagree. KD's dominance has become more evident. He seems to CLEARLY be the best player, on the best team. He will win more championships, which is how everyone determines greatness. It doesn't remove him from these conversations, it places him in them.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think he does care about his legacy, and he is winning and will likely continue to win championships, all of which will enhance his legacy.

This move was very good for KD. It was just bad for NBA competetiveness. Which isn't and shouldn't be KD's issue.

Note: I dislike the move as much as anyone. I IMMEDIATELY became far less interested in the NBA. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a good move for KD.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's because LeBron actually won a championship against a stacked team (that incidentally beat Durant's team) without those superfriends. If LeBron never did what he did in 2016, he would have never gained the respect for a lot of people, including me.

Sure, Durant still has time to go to a team where he is clearly the alpha and win a title and regain his respectability. It's up to him. But what he is doing now with the Warriors will not be recognized as "great" just as LeBron's Miami stint.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hope LeBron goes to Boston. The reunion with Kyrie will be epic narrative. I wonder if Kyrie will ask for a trade again. :D

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You keep arguing in circle that nobody is denying.

Yes, he is free to choose what HE THINKS is best for him. We as fans are also free to hate him for what is BAD FOR US. So why are you defending him and not us? :rolleyes:

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The casual fan is very different today in the modern era. There are more fans who don't have a strong connection to a team, they only care about watching a great player. For them it doesn't matter that Durant joined the Warriors and that no one else has a chance. They don't understand things like salary caps, probably don't know players on the majority of teams, etc.

That's the majority of the NBA's fan base. The Warriors dominance is not bad for the league, but it's certainly bad for die hard fans of specific teams.

BigO and Easy like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's what I've been saying. People just hate playing those dudes who band together the most dominant players on the same team and destroy any meaningful competition. Anyone who has played pick up games understands this. No one likes those guys.

9. justtxyank

I hate this take. Just like the Rockets are facing right now, it's impossible to do anything to slow down Durant on the Warriors team because you can't double anyone.

Imagine for a minute if Reggie Miller and Tm Hardaway joined the Jordan/Pippen bulls. Jordan would face 1 on 1 coverage all the time. Yeah it would still be a great performance but it would be tainted by the fact that you are playing a different game than everyone else.

When the Olympic team beats a "good" international team it's fun, but nobody should act like Melo going off when the other team can't double anyone is impressive.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

And what would that '*' say? That he played on the best team? Wouldn't that same asterisk then need to be on EVERY championship?

11. justtxyank

The league OWNED the team. Comparisons to that situation are invalid.

jcf likes this.
  12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

KD had the right to go to any team he wanted, just as people have the right to call him out for being the huge b**** that he is. The Warriors didn't need him and beat him the previous year which is why it was a b**** move.

Now, someone will have to do what KD did to have a chance at beating them. The obvious candidate is LeBron or another elite level player to Houston while somehow keeping most of the core of the team. If that doesn't happen, no one will beat them.

13. justtxyank

A star joining Houston won't be like Durant joining the Warriors.

The Rockets will likely be a team that lost in the WCF and wasn't close to a championship. A star coming here is trying to build a championship team. Durant joined a championship team.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think there was a thread a couple of months ago that asked the question, "If we won a championship this year, would you still want LeBron to join us?" LeBron probably would not join us if we won because of the flak Durant is getting after his move.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not only did the Warriors beat KD's last OKC team...

KD's last OKC team WAS UP ON THEM 3-1!!!!

People keep trying to bring up situations that they feel are similar but there are none.

It wasn't even like his team got blown out and he lost hope, he had proved to the world that they could be beat, that HE himself with Westbrook,, could beat them. Instead, he closed the game, went into settings, and put it on Rookie mode because it was too much of a challenge for him.

The Warriors, without KD, are a very beatable team. Still elite, still top 5, but they aren't...this. The league is instantly more exciting. You have OKC, Rockets, Spurs in the west. Philly, Celtics, Cavs in the East. This could have been a really exciting era of ball. Thanks KD.

mfastx, da_juice and BigShasta like this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

How history is forgotten. KD never goes to the Warriors if LeBron as the face of the league(With KD for years right behind him in direct competition) and both being ringless-goes and joins up with the Heat and then again leaves them and goes and joins up with Kyrie and Love. IIRC, KD hated that LeBron did that. It's around the time he started to do his phony tough guy act. LeBron made KD do this. KD is in OKC still fighting for his glory next to Russ if LeBron stayed in Cleveland and fought for his. This is a never ending cycle of mercenaries for hire.
    -Russ-PG13-Melo ---Just b/c it doesn't work, the thought was scary
    -CP3 joining Harden
    -Boogie joining AD

-2018 Kawhi, LeBron, Boogie, PG13 will all team up with other prime superstars.

All the next generation of stars are learning to say "**** IT" by 25 and they're not winning rings, just go join up with other stars in their prime like the "GOAT" did and like KD did.

This was all on LeBron. The face of the league and the guy right behind him do it, everyone else will too. He can continue his mercenary ways and join the Rockets next season and we can have our own super team,because its the only way now.

18. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Unfortunately, the NBA is loving the move. They saw their highest WCF game 1 ratings in 18 years. I guess casual fans love the David vs Goliath storyline.

The NBA playoffs is one of the best sports spectacles, imo. This is the first time I don’t give a single **** because we already know who’s going to win.

Any other year and this would be our year to win the championship. Instead we are going to waste away Harden’s prime unable to truly contend because KD is a p***y.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Because I don't see the point in being mad at someone for doing what's best for them when you can acknowledge they are doing what's best for them. Now if you live your life disregarding what's best for you as far as work goes to appease the thoughts of strangers, then I can see your point.

I don't like it but I can't knock him for it. He went where it made the most sense to go.

20. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I honestly can’t believe some guys in here are defending the move. Any other year we’d be championship favorites. It’s taken over 20 years since our last championship to get to this point.

It’s almost once in a lifetime opportunity to be true contenders. Even if we extend this series Harden and Paul are going to wear down quickly and subsequently the Warriors will cruise.