1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most everyone here has it wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, May 14, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I thought that could be a possible reason . I'm not sure why they opted for the switch ... but CP3 definitely instigated it . Maybe he wanted more shooting , maybe he thought Ariza was better for the defense they planned to play .

I think mike has always had a preference for playing small . And even though capela has been playing great this postseason he probably .....

1. Trusts Ariza more
    2. Prefers to go for shooting .

In my unprofessional opinion I think clints ability to score around the rim outweighs us playing another shooter . Mike loves playing small and spacing the floor , but I think you have to play with Clint vs golden state ... their shooters are just better than ours . We aren't going to be able to beat them purely from the 3 point line ( over a series )

I agree James made a mistake there . But that one mistake doesn't highlight that KD is better than he is . James carries way more responsibility than KD does on GS . He had some turnovers , but he also created many more opportunities for his teammates than KD did .

James also had a huge steal on KD in the post .

KD is a great scorer and he's a really good defensive player too . But James scored with him tonight , had a huge advantage in playmaking , and also played very good D tonight . I think he outplayed him . I might have been exaggerating when I thought was talking about the margin ... but it was clear in my opinion

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

CP3 choking right there. Coach shouldn't listen to him.

3. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Clint needs to be in the floor for defensive purposes more than anything else. He can intimidate guards and is probably the only one with half a chance to defend Durant. The two times he guarded him he disrupted one shot and played solid in the other only for Durant to make a great shot. At least with Clint guarding Durant has to work to get his shot off. With Tucker and anyone else for that matter it’s a simple catch and shoot over the top. I think it’s key to get on Durant early before he gets into a rhythm. That’s lol you can hope for.

As for the other players they need to step up big time. I’ve always had concerns Ariza’s incinsistency and his slow developing shot. Guys like Thompson and Curry have such quick releases you have to stay up on them the whole time; whereas Ariza has has a hard time getting a shot off and clearly the Warriors are just following anyone not named Harden around on the perimeter and daring them to drive inside. Problem is, nominee else can handle the ball. This puts all the pressure on Harden and Paul to drive and create shots.

saleem likes this.
  4. Asian Sensation

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if he can match or beat KD in scoring. Outscoring KD does not equal a W as shown tonight. Also, are you trying to prove who’s better between KD and Durant? Cause that’s what it sounds like and that is a moot debate right now. KD did his job which is to to be aggressive, not defer and get buckets. Harden has more responsibility and he didn’t fulfill all of them as great as he was. When you have a team that’s not as talented and you don’t play a flawless game you’re taking the L and to be honest Warriors made it look pretty easy tonight.

5. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

TC was electric tonight, especially the first quarter, was amazing to be there in person!

But ya, we couldn't believe that Clint still wasn't in the game late in the 4th, especially with Ariza playing with so many fouls.

The Rockets shouldn't try to match the Hampton 5 lineup, they should take the mismatch with Clint at center for offensive purposes and then accept whatever defense BS happens with him (which, almost never does, can't recall a huge defensive breakdown from him today at all in honesty)

He needs to play 35 mpg, especially with Nene and Ryno being more or less useless

joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Kd was not the problem the starters were out scored by 14 points and three guys on the bench scored 0

Rocket River likes this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Harden was extremely good but you can tell KD is just so much more gifted because of his size. All his shots looked so damn easy because he can just shoot over anyone. Whereas, GS made Harden work for all his points, inside and outside.

8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I won't argue the merits of KDs talent, he's one of the top 3 most talented guys in the NBA, but trying to compare him to Harden during this game is ridiculous. KD has 2 of the, if not THE, best shooters in the history of the game playing next to him along with two other guys that know there roles and can hit shots when needed. KD can basically go one-on-one all day against teams because they can't afford to double off of anyone else.

Harden has the entire defense geared to stop him. Of course it's going to be harder for him to score than it is for KD right now.

It's why, if the Warriors sweep through or win in 5 games and then sweep through the finals, that this whole thing is pointless. NBA will have to step in and do something soon or realize that people aren't going to care if there isn't really a point to the season other than "LOL Warriors win" every year until one of them gets a career injury or they get old. Lose the salary cap, trash max contract limits so that Klay and/or Draymond might be tempted to leave, actually punish Draymond for his dumb actions, something.

But, that's for the future. I still believe in this Rockets team and you never know what can happen as long as the series is still going.

BigO and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The BBS still has it wrong today . I see a lot of posts advocating for drastic changes both tactically and in our rotation .

I understand guys , the warriors are scary . But you can't abandon your identity because you lose a game . Getting flustered and changing things up too much WILL result in a sweep.

The biggest difference in last nights game IMO was guys not being able to convert at the rim .

The warriors played some good offense and some good defense ... duh . They are a ****ing great team . There is no strategy that we can use to stop them from getting good looks . There is no magic offensive plan we can use to stop them from having good defenders .

We have to play OUR style ... and players have to execute better . Gordon has to be better . Luc needs to make his layups . Ariza needs to play smarter and not get in foul trouble . Ryan needs to shoot with confidence. Maybe you make some minor tweaks , give some guys different minutes etc .... but you can't just change everything.

The sky is not falling . We can win the next game . We can win at GS . James harden is the best player in this series . And before you bash my attitude and say I'm too relaxed .... I agree with the worriers .... it's time to nut up . James has to bring it again and guys need to step up . If they don't , then we deserve to lose .

BigO and Rocket River like this.
  10. illwil29

illwil29 Member

I think Nick Wright mentioned it this morning that we averaged 22 iso plays during the regular season and last night we had 45. We have to get into our offense earlier so the d can not set up. The rockets on their first 14 game winning streak were the most efficient offense in nba history. A lot less iso I guess more up tempo. We need that to beat the warriors along with some efficient back cutting by everyone

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

[​IMG]

javal_lon and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's always been the problem with the Rockets. They can't play a full 48 minutes of highly tuned basketball. Inevitably, their game breaks down and implodes on itself. They've gotten away with it up until now.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

My glaring mistake was not muting Reggie Miller a minute into it.

Patience and Rocket River like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Gifted in Height, better teammates (maybe) and that is about it

KD - 51.9% shooting 14/27 - 37 pts
    Harden - 58.3% shooting 14/24 - 41 pts

Until KD does it by himself. . . like Harden . . . Like LeBron . . . .. I'm less than impressed.

Rocket River

BigO likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Nobody plays 48 minutes of complete basketball. At least not regularly. It took the Warriors a few minutes to even start the game yesterday.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Our bench guys are still struggling after injuries. Most of them are over 30.
    Ariza and Tucker too. They can't keep up with KD or Draymond. We need Lebron next season, to take us over the top. I honestly don't see any other solution. It's going to be mighty hard to pull that off.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Clint needs more minutes on D. On O, he can't do much near the rim, when it's protected. He lacks a jumper too. Keeping him off the boards isn't hard for GS.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

yeah but they got into rhythm. I don't think Klay and Curry will shoot good just standing still with a split second to shoot. There's a reason Klay and Curry are cutting constantly.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I can tell you right now, that the Rockets aren't winning this series unless they get Klay Thompson under control.

He can be shut down. He has been shutdown before because he isn't good enough off the dribble.

They need to just stick to him in transition and the half court at the expense of giving up a layup.

Let Durant beat you like you did yesterday, because there is no game plan that can stop him. He went cold in the third and the Rockets were cold as well and didn't take advantage.

The Rockets beat themselves last night.

Game plan was sound, but you have to execute your layups and transition defense on Klay Thompson.

saleem likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree. Keep someone in his pocket at all times.

Rocket River