1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Klay and Worriers talk contract extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 11, 2018.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

There's something unsettling about billionaires saying "We don't want to pay the extra money despite having vastly more wealth than you, so either you take substantially less money or we are shipping you somewhere else."

Then again, I'm just salty about the Warriors seemingly catching break after break. Hopefully Klay wisens up and just takes the guaranteed max.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We'll see how generous he is with the Warriors if they don't win the title this season. Especially if they fall to the Rockets in the WCF. Players will potentially leave 50 mil on the table in exchange for rings. But they won't do it merely out of a sense of loyalty. 5 mil, sure. But not 50.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think the only Rocket willing to take less in order to stay in Houston is Gerald Green.

4. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I doubt he takes such a large paycut. But a smaller paycut is possible.

As to luxury tax, I think how it will work out (if it works out), is that everyone will sacrifice to some extent. Owners will pay hefty luxury tax but players will take some paycuts to minimize this somewhat.

Also Thompson already has a max deal of a sort:
    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/30/...ion-golden-state-warriors-10-years-80-million

5. MrJason

MrJason Member

As long as he’s a big piece of the warriors and they’re still winning championships, he’ll have bigger advertisements and shoe deals. He can easily make up that $50 mil.

6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Sounds like a leak from someone in the GSW front office to gauge the response. I doubt Thompson leaves that much on the table, even if he is happy there.

Now, if Klay leaves or pays hardball, fans will side with management.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tuck, Ariza, and Ryno (...Sacto would've overpaid him even more) all signed for less than what they were offered by other teams.

PBev also took a sweetheart deal fresh off his 1st All-Defensive team selection.

There's a lot of players who want to be here and win.

Green is probably the most passionate.

8. macho87

macho87 Member

No way he "easily" makes up 50 mil.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He grew up with wealthy and affluent so he's never worried about money, he gets to live in the Bay Area, his brother plays with Oakland A's the same city as him, his father works for the Lakers a few hours down the road. He'll keep winning championships and splashing 3s while never getting double teamed, and never getting slack when he had a bad game. That's the life.

10. BackdoorHarden

The Warriors said this was Fake News. Warriors have no discussion with Klay as Klay want Max Money

Tfor3 and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Member

Klay & Green are only making like 16-17 million right now

Ryno is making like $20 mil

buffalobills!!!, da_juice and Sajan like this.
  12. Mr. Space City

klay living the life.

gets all the praise in wins and none of the blame in losses. still gets millions of dollars. still gets to smash all the thotties in san francisco.

his ex that he cheated on was hot.

#52 Mr. Space City, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Klay Thompson knows if he went elsewhere, he would be exposed for being a really good player, but not a star you build around. He's basically a better shooting version of Cuttino Mobley.

He gets to compete for titles, go to all stars games, be acknowledged as a star who is "sacrificing", and probably go to the hall of fame.He also has nobody s**tting on him when things go poorly, it's the easy life for him. Unlike Kevin Durant, Thompson isn't talented enough to lead a team to a title, so it's easy to see why he would do this. It would be worth giving up some money to retain all of the perks of being on the Warriors.

I would rather be filthy rich and happy in my profession than filthier rich and unhappy.

da_juice likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll believe it when I see it. If he does give GS a huge discount in an attempt to keep the core of that team together, I certainly wouldn't criticize him for it. I'd be ticked off because it makes coming out of the West harder for the Rockets. The cat is free to do what he wants to do.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One thing that some have mentioned: Klay's father, Mychal, was a #1 overall pick in Portland, but the most fun he had was being a role player on a title-winning Lakers team.

16. smp

smp Member

No way I would leave 50 million on the table. He already has a couple of rings. Take the money. You never know when you are going to blow out a knee or something. Taking less money is something you should do after you have taken a couple of max deals and want some more rings before retirement.

Hopefully someone in his family will bring him back to reality. Or not, because I guess I don't really care if he loses 50 million or not.

17. MrJason

MrJason Member

He signed a $80mil shoe deal with a Chinese brand last summer. No way he’s getting another similar contract if he’s getting a max contract playing for the pistons.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

NBA player or not, there is no way he is leaving 50m on the table.

Why? So the owner banks in that money and rescue his luxury tax bill?

Awww...isn't that nice!

5-15m ...ok....but 50m?? lol

He would have to be a special kind of idiot to do that. And his agent would have to be a moron to let it happen.

The only way he does it is if there some sort of under the table deal.

19. BackdoorHarden

His Family is the one that's telling him to take a pay cut! His dad said he would be stupid to come to the Lakers just for more money and to come home. His dad is the only that keeps telling him not to leave!

"Thompson’s father, Mychal, told NBC Sports in December that Klay would be “crazy” to leave the Warriors over money, pointing out that his son was happy with the team, enjoys his teammates and loves winning."

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm a big fan of Klay Thompson, elite shooter and decent two way player, one of the few who guys who are great at the offensive end but aren't a liability on the defensive end. He also has no ego and doesn't mind being treated as a 2nd fiddle when he scores 20+ pts per game. Now he is leaving 50M on the table just to win. Amazing dedication to the game.