1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Rotation Ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, May 7, 2018.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Well... this is encouraging... but is it sustainable?

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/...tation-dominance-gerrit-cole-justin-verlander

The Entire Astros Rotation Deserves the Cy Young

Houston won the 2017 World Series thanks to a record-setting offense. So far, the Astros repeat bid has hung on a group of starting pitchers producing unprecedented numbers.

But a different segment of Houston’s roster is compensating for the offensive regression, and the Astros’ rotation is thriving. Recent MLB seasons featured pitching staffs that deserved some level of “best ever” recognition: The 2017 Indians had the best-ever group of pitchers by FanGraphs’ version of wins above replacement; the 2016 Cubs had the best rotation since the deadball era by park- and league-adjusted ERA; the 2011 Phillies had the best rotation ever by park- and league-adjusted FIP. The 2018 Astros, so far, are on pace to eclipse all of those groups. Houston’s starters are pitching like the newest, and most superior, best rotation ever.

Uprising, Marteen and Houstunna like this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Best rotation with the worst W-L record.

3. lnchan

The black holes at DH and left field... are problematic.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

1987 Nolan Ryan faints

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The starters are 16-8; take Keuchel out (1-5) and they're 15-3. But, sure.... worst.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Clemens Pettitte and oswalt were pretty good so were Randy Johnson, Shane Reynolds, Hampton, and Lima.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

My comment was knocking the offense, not the rotation.

Knepper, Sutton, Ruhle, and Niekro ('81) are also appalled.

Marteen likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My comment referenced Ryan's bad W/L with otherwise good stats.

Too bad Cy Young voters look at W/L. Ryan and his 8-16 record was a worthy candidate. Led the NL in Ks and ERA.

#8 bobrek, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  9. lnchan

As much as I love what Brandon Backe did for this franchise, but our 4-7 on our starting pitcher depth chart is unprecedented in the history of the franchise. McCullers, Keuchel, Peacock, McHugh could serve as a #2 starter on any other team right now... and our depth after McHugh/Peacock is not horrific like it was last year where Dayan Diaz had to start.

10. lnchan

Games Started
    1987 Astros: Scott, Ryan, Darwin, Knepper, Deshaies, M. Hernandez, Heathcock, Mallicoat
    1998 Astros: Reynolds, Lima, Hampton, Bregman, R. Johnson, Schourek, Halama, Elarton
    2004 Astros (probably best if everyone stayed healthy...): Oswalt, Clemens, Redding, Munro, W. Miller, Pettitte, Backe, C. Hernandez, Duckworth, Griffiths, J. Fernandez
    2005 Astros: Oswalt, Pettitte, Clemens, Backe, W. Rodriguez, Astacio, Duckworth

...for comparison... 1995 Atlanta Braves:
    Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Steve Avery, Kent Mercker, Jason Schmidt, Matt Murray

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The only rotation arguably in the same ballpark as current rotation is 1995 braves.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Remember when we didn't get Clemens because we didn't want to give up Scott Elarton?

Good times.

13. Buck Turgidson

They are by far the best May rotation I've ever seen, or not seen, when do we size our rings?

14. lnchan

I am just waiting the novelty Facebook post.

15. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Really great article here...

All about the greatness of the starting rotation. Found the part where JV is talking about Cole coming over and having everything a** backwards pretty interesting.

Here's part 1 of the article.

16. texans1095

texans1095 Member

And here's part 2

Nick_713, arkoe and lnchan like this.
  17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Not this dominant with all five starters being in or near the Top 25 of every major category that matters.

Astros have to find another OF at the deadline. I’m ok with Marwin as the primary DH, being the fourth OF, fifth IF and maybe Kyle Tucker could also be a July-August call-up.

Evan Gattis and Fisher or Marisnick would have to be included in deal(s)

Houstunna likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

If the question was the best trio ever, It's be tough to overshadow clemens, andy and roy-o.
    But best rotation, definitely this one. At least through April =)
    I developed a true method to tell era, called the "true dat- ERA" basically taking out the one fml performance by the pitcher where everything goes haywire.
    McCullers era would be, 2.3 if not for that crazy minny game in Siberia. Dallas' 2.86 if not for that home game against the A's when he had perfect control and ready to get out the inning when the shift and ump happened.

It's something special we're witnessing. I do expect them to hit bumps in a long season but none of them should be given up on just yet, mostly speaking about LMc and Dallas.

[​IMG]

#18 conquistador#11, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Another piece on the Astros' dominant rotation (this time from ESPN). Debating whether or not the Astros rotation is the best ever. Let's just say that if they keep on this pace (however unlikely that may be) they will definitely have the best rotation of all time.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Funny I completely forgot about shourek and Bergman. Carlos Hernandez had those first 17 scoreless innings and then injuries killed his career.

The most dominating regular season pitcher we ever had was Randy Johnson in his short stint here. Followed very closely by that JR Richard stretch in 79/80, mike scott 1986, verlander last year (and so far) and Garrett Cole now. I leave off Clemens because he was juicing. Oswalt was great for 7 years or so but not quite at that level. Still love Roy O and he probably makes my all time astro rotation.