1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ACL Fest 2018

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, May 1, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey Jude

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all 99'ers too old for these hipster festivals.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We ain't old as Paul

fallenphoenix likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

McCartney, deftones, and david byrne are the only artists that I recognize as liking.

These festivals used to be so much better. I saw the mars volta there before.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think the biggest problems with music festivals these days is that they all go for quantity over quality. 6 days over two weekends with music going on 6 stages for 11 hours a day. its too many slots to fill...and too many mediocre bands that are just there to fill those slots.

another problem is that they get a couple HUGE headliners that they blow their budget on and then have to fill out the lineup with a bunch of affordable bands nobody cares about.

the first few years of acl was just two days and it was somewhere i wanted to be the whole day. i loved that i was being forced to make a choice every hour on who to check out. i go now and there are blocks where i dont give a **** about anyone playing.

Sajan likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Meh, seems really safe and generic.

finalsbound likes this.
  7. Entropy

Entropy Member

Alot of weak shows. ACL has gone downhill.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Weak lineup.

9. Buck Turgidson

"We're bringing a once-in-a-lifetime concert to Zilker Park"

No you are not. Just shut the **** up, get the hell out of Austin, and pretend like you're a normal person.

10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I feel the opposite from all the commets. Think it's a great lineup and glad they did something different this year. Even the second and third tier have some great bands. Haven't been this excited for ACL in a long time.

pacman0590 likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are plenty of acts I would enjoy seeing. There are some I would love to avoid seeing, but none that I couldn't see other places. I don't see any real sleepers in that bunch.

12. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

"It's really gone down hill.."

Bruh chilllll.. This is an incredible, diverse lineup, the only thing I disagree with is Travis Scott.. even as a Houstonian I think he's a hack..

Y'all all sound like 60 year old men.. This blows most lineups out of the water, In bloom isn't even close.. If there is a band you like that isn't on that lineup card I bet that I can find two similar bands you'd like on that card.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and see here I thought this was gonna be about a medical conference on knee injuries . . .

duwende and Torn n Frayed like this.
  14. duwende

duwende Member

Lol that's great coming from a clutchfan user name of "Os Trigonum"

Anyway decent lineup. Most of it was "meh" until I saw Lisa Loeb on the 2nd to last line. She needs to be higher up!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Think she is doing the kiddie stage. She has released a couple of children albums so think that's why she is low on the bill.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Anyone saying this lineup is weak is crazy.

DonkeyMagic and I am a Donut like this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY downhill. The headliners, outside of Paul McCartney, are crap. Who the f*** is Odesza? I've only heard Travis Scott's name in regards to dating a Kardashian. Is that what makes one worthy of being a headliner? I don't think there's a more boring and depressing band in the world than The National. Are they trying to make sure the crowd gets a good night sleep?

2006...possibly the best of all time. Tom Petty, Flaming Lips, Matisyahu, G. Love, String Cheese Incident, Massive Attack, Ben Harper, Ween, Willie Nelson...man that was a great weekend. 2008 was pretty awesome, too...if only for Allison Krause and Robert Plant together. That was a fantastic show.

I went to the first 12. Only day I missed in those 12 years was in 2005 during the dust storm and 108 degree temps on that Sunday. I couldn't breathe and the heat was unbearable. As it got later and later, the lineups because less "festival" and more top 40. They stopped bringing in the Saturday night jam band. Add in the incredible cost and it just wasn't worth it anymore...and it still isn't worth it.

I'm thinking about going back to the Utopia Fest this year. They've moved it to Burnet, which makes it much easier to get to than Utopia. The lineup is good and the crowd is capped at about 3,000.

#17 leroy, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  18. Entropy

Entropy Member

Psssh, Paul McCartney isn't even the real Paul McCartney. *insert tinfoil hat* I was there in 06, Muse played against the backdrop of the beginnings of a lightning storm, fueled by their rage that Tom Petty was cutting their show short because he wanted more listeners. Best live performance from a band I've ever seen.

Yeah, ACL has gotten commercialized and taken over, much like Austin in general.

#18 Entropy, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree that the move to two weekends has really diluted the quality of the lineup. Headliners are pretty weak. It has been a downward trend.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There just no longer are festivals that really drive a certain character or theme. It’s just a big sampler platter of big name artists.

The best thing about ACL is trying to catch an after show at one of the downtown venues. I just don’t get the drive anymore to say i want to give up three days of my life to see roughly 20 shows with 50,000 people when I could just go catch 4 to 8 longer shows at good venues that week in Austin and Dallas when all those same artists (except for the headliners) do other shows before and after.

But if you’ve never done a 3 day fest before it’s still a great time and ACL is very well run and it’s way closer than Coachella or Bonnaroo.