1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Folly of the NBA: Carmello

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carter Le Grand, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Carter Le Grand

It's shocking...the mind numbing stupidity of teams acquiring and paying Anthony a king's ransom to wreck their teams. Most recently he's doing it to OKC. Flow of the game stops when the ball's passed to him. Everybody can stop cutting and moving because the ball stops there.

Westbrook, the wonderful inhuman freak that he is pulled them out of a 25 point beatdown when C.A. was benched. It's hard to believe that OKC can't see what's so obvious: Anthony is a momentum and flow killer. I would, however admit that he would be a very good HORSE player.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think horse is giving him too much credit, I think pig would be a better option for him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Carter Le Grand

LOL true that.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently harden/cp3 can magically turn melo into a different/efficient player at 34 years old

they can help good players turn into even better players sure. but they dont do magic and transform bad players, especially ones that are on the edge of retirement

#4 YOLO, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Rox11 likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

carmelo would be good in rockets system..its on russ and okc

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

They will tell him in the summer to come off the bench if he wants his 28mill

7. Fantasma Negro

No bruh, Melo has been done for a while. He's a glorified Jamal Crawford, only Crawford has a firm grasp of reality and an understanding of his shortcomings while Melo really thinks he's on LeBron's level. The only thing he and Bron have in common is neither plays defense. He can't start for us, maybe he can take Joe Johnson's spot and play 2 minutes a game but if it was between he and Gerald Green, I'm sticking with Gerald

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

@ashleyem You gonna let OP talk about your mans like that?

Invisible Fan and J.R. like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can't believe we had the summer of 'Melo ... multiple 300+ page threads. :D

10. omgTHEpotential

Carmelo was never a top20 player.

lnchan and hakeem94 like this.
  11. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Bruh what...? Lebron plays defense...

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/24/carmelo-anthony-oklahoma-city-thunder-career/

Carmelo Anthony and the Oklahoma City Thunder are currently down 3-1 to the Utah Jazz after getting smoked by 17 Monday night. Given how bad Anthony has looked all season, it’s fairly clear we’ve reached the end of his effectiveness in the NBA.

Anthony will turn 34 on May 29, and he’s due $27.9 million next season. He can opt-out of that deal he chooses but, let’s be real, that’s not going to happen. Which means the Thunder can either keep him on the roster, or buy him out, waive him, etc. If Anthony is cut loose by the Thunder, who would pick him up? He’s moody, doesn’t like defense, doesn’t play well in a secondary role and he’s rapidly deteriorating statistically.

In 78 games this season, Anthony averaged career-lows in points (16.2), assists (1.3), steals (0.6) and minutes (32.1). He also shot career-worst percentages from the field (40.4) and free throw line (76.7). Meanwhile, his PER dropped to a career-low 12.78.

You want more? Because I’ve got more. His Value Over Replacement Player dropped to an abysmal -1.1 this season, which ranked 537th in the NBA. Yes, it was 537th out of the 540 players who qualified. Anthony’s Box Plus/Minus (-3.8) ranked 396th, and his Win Shares Per 48 minutes (0.77) ranked 305th.

So Anthony isn’t an inefficient, ineffective player, he’s also a just a bad one these days. He’s too slow to defend consistently and — try as he might — he’s not quick enough to beat guys off the dribble one-on-one consistently anymore. If he was a dead-eye 3-point shooter, maybe he could have some value, but he hit just 35.7 percent from deep this season.

So what’s the future for the 10-time All-Star? It’s clear whatever he’s doing with the Thunder isn’t working. That team looks like it needs to be imploded. Maybe Anthony could wind up collecting a cheap paycheck on a team with some friends — like the Houston Rockets, or wherever LeBron James lands — but that doesn’t seem likely.

Anthony’s time as a valuable NBA player is at an end. We’ll find out whether his career is over this summer.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think he can still be an effective player in the right role.

I think a lot of players in OKC look worse than they are with Westbrook and that system.

I can’t see him turning down the money though. Maybe he’d accept a buyout?

slothy420 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is just so slow now without the explosive step. Merely a jumpshooter.

It always stopped with him scoring so now he is missing. He never moved the ball very well.

Bzdelik?

#14 daywalker02, Apr 27, 2018
  15. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

TBH I don’t think it’s just Carmelo Anthony. You can’t blame him when ugly basketball is being played and than blame the coach when Paul George can’t get it going. What separates great coaching from the average to mediocre ones is the ability to put their players in positions to succeed, Billy Donavan doesn’t do that. As a coach not only is your job to coach but to gain the respect of players by making good decisions schematically, ala MDA, Pop, Brad Stevens, and Kerr, just to name a few.
    Carmelo in HOU I think would’ve been great. MDA has a nack of raising players stats and level of play because of the free flowing offense he has. Your number 1 job as a player in MDA’s offense is to shoot the 3 if you’re open. I do however still think MDA would bench Melo in favor of PJ for D purposes but I’m sure Melo would’ve been ok coming off the bench with Gordon and playing alongside CP3 in that second unit backcourt.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Melo opts out.

16. Fantasma Negro

You're joking right? Lebron played 82 games this season, how many cavs games did you watch this season? Honestly?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We just need Olympic melo wearing a hoodie playing a meaningless all star game for him to show his true potential.

And four more basketballs

18. Carter Le Grand

I watched with GREAT interest when he and Stodamyre went down and Jeremy Linn lead the Knicks to 7 of 8 wins to light up the City (and Spike Lee) Talk about addition by subtraction! As soon as 'Mello came back they went straight back to sh*t.

#18 Carter Le Grand, Apr 27, 2018
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo will have to be a 20-25 mpg scoring option off the bench who mostly takes spot up threes with the occasional post up mixed in...basically a less washed up version of current Joe Johnson

that’s the only way he can become a valuable player in this league moving forward...he’s gotta get that 3 point shooting into the 37-38% range and kill any notion of being a “3rd star” or high usage starter...those shot attempts will have to go down from 16 a night to like 10