1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Videogames] Monster Hunter: World (especially recommended for Dark Souls fans)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Haha, that's fair.

Monster Hunter just isn't a story game, so if that's what you're looking for, yeah, stay away. There's more story content in this one than in previous entries by a mile, but it's not that great and just not the focus. The mileage someone gets out of Monster Hunter will depend almost entirely on how much they appreciate the combat for the combat's sake. It does PvE combat better than, well, anything in my book.

I like story-based games myself too, but Skyrim got old for me pretty fast, mostly because I felt like I played it before. I played Morrowind and Oblivion like crazy, and by the time I got to Skyrim, the shallowness of the combat just got to me. And story-wise, I find Witcher 3 to be so vastly superior to other open-world action RPGs I've played, it's kinda ruined a lot of things for me, particularly Elder Scrolls. Fallout series kinda-sorta gets a pass because a post-apocalyptic shooter feels different enough from a fantasy-setting sandbox (plus the morbid humor tickles me), even though the two have the same guts to them.

peleincubus and Jmcballer88 like this.
  2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I died 25 minutes in the prologue #rip

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've played some and quite enjoyed. I haven't been playing games much at all the last few years.

The thing though is I am taking calculus this semester along with a few other gem classes. So my playing will be a little sparse. I'll make progress though.

Do they have any plans for this game as far as adding new content in the future?

4. Drexlerfan22

It is not 100% clear, but we know SOME things.

The things that are confirmed:
    *There will never be any loot boxes or any form of pay-to-win.
    *There is already some purely cosmetic DLC.
    *There will be free DLC monsters and missions in the short-term future, just as there have been in previous entries.
    *There are time-limited event quests with exclusive content tied to them, though it is unclear if these events will cycle back again eventually for people who missed it the first time around

What isn't clear is whether there will be a G-rank/expansion, and if so whether it will be available as DLC or only as a standalone upgrade. We also don't know if they will add new maps to this game at all (lots of folks are bummed there is no ice level).

Other super-random note that I just remembered: there are daily login rewards, but they are very friendly in the sense that you do not actually need to log in every day to get them. Rather, the daily rewards for the past 5 days will be saved, and you can grab them all at once. So you only need to log in every 5 days to get the maximum login rewards.

#24 Drexlerfan22, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. Drexlerfan22

Capcom recently announced that MHW is the fastest-selling game in its history. Freaking Capcom. When you consider they put out Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Mega Man, that is reeeaaaallly saying something right there.

The game has also proven that Monster Hunter has the ability to sell even non-handheld systems single-handedly in Japan, tripling the sales numbers of the Switch, and taking the weekly sales record by freaking orders of magnitude (showing numbers just as good as the likes of Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2).

As I know I would be, I'm still thoroughly obsessed with this game about 2.5 weeks in. I even took some time off work to play it last week, and have put in nearly 150 hours already (kudos to my remarkably understanding and patient wife, haha). I am sure I will be up around 500 hours or more by the time I'm done, if history is any guide.

6. Drexlerfan22

Couple PSAs...

The game's on sale for $45 on Amazon right now. Not sure how long that lasts.

Also, they just released a big balance patch that mostly buffed under-utilized melee attacks (a first for the series).

And, of course, introduced Deviljho, a fan favorite:

...so yeah, good time to jump in. Throw a post in this thread if anyone wants to do some huntin'!

7. ogretrunks

ogretrunks Member

Sadly, i'm still waiting for the PC version. ><

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kingdom Come Deliverance >>> :D

9. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Im loving the game 280 hours in. HR 126, Tempered Pickle Joe is a freaking challenge man, will have fun with that this weekend. Tried 3 times this morning and got wrecked every time. Tempered Joe is the hardest monster in the game, way harder than any of the tempered Elders

10. Drexlerfan22

I definitely agree. I’m super-happy they finally released something that was a challenge even for long-time players.

I’ve only fought him once so far because I was farming other things, but plan to fight him a lot more now. I did beat him first try but carted twice. Used Legiana heavy bowgun with 3 shield mods & guard+5 fwiw. I’ve been reading that people say a guard-focused lance setup makes him easy, might give that a shot.

What weapon(s) were you trying with?

11. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Tried using my regen fullburst gunlance build(royal burst i think its called is the rathian poison one), I did end up getting him though. Found a good team, in multiplayer you need everybody contributing and helping each other with flashbangs and traps.

12. Drexlerfan22

So now that "Spring Blossom Fest" is on, I've been taking the opportunity to fight Tempered Jho a ton. He seems to drop lvl8 augments like candy.

I haven't really found a super-reliable way to beat him solo quickly without carting. I can beat him with the Legiana HBG without carting no problem, but it takes nearly half an hour. Gunlance/Lance seems to work okay a majority of the time, but the problem becomes that chomp move where he can grab you even when you're blocking. Went most of a fight with GL with no issues, then suddenly near the end I carted twice to that move. Switched to HBG to finish him off.

Also, unrelated, I'm slightly surprised they made the Rocket GS as good as it is. I like that they've done an okay job of balancing weapons, and there are very few that are just the best in their class, period. I'd say before now the Diablos CB and the Divine Slasher LS fell into that category. Add this GS to the list.

EDIT: Oh, and for multiplayer Jho, I played that arena-based status LBG, I forget what it's called, but it worked really well. I think I got 3 paras and 3 sleeps.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hello, we just beat Xeno'Jiva and now started the tempered stuff (Currently HR 48)

What is the point of the post Xeno stuff? Is it worth it?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I've been playing Hunt Showdown a lot lately. I hear it's kinda like this game. Only way more poop-your-pants scary.

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Decorations. 7 & 8 rarity decorations especially.

16. Drexlerfan22

When you hit HR49, that'll unlocked Tempered Kirin. Once you beat him, you unlock the ability to get Tempered Elder Dragon investigations ("TEDs" for short). That quest is a wall for a lot of people. I recommend Bow or LBG if you get stuck. Or if you're on PS4 I can also help you with it, haha. Though most agree he's easier to solo than to do multiplayer because multiplayer makes him less predictable.

These TED quests get you not just the ability to get endgame-worthy decorations (some of which give you set bonuses for only 1 medium-sized gem, example Bow Charge Plus gem), but also you can get augment materials. These unlock the ability to augment your armor for more defense, but more interestingly, they let you add properties to your weapons. There's attack, affinity, defense, health regen, or sockets.

For me it's "worth-it" because it enables builds that wouldn't have really worked before. I particularly like Greatsword with some Health Regen augments stacked on it. Lets you tank some hits while gaining health back, so you can just keep on attacking.

So yeah, that's the "endgame": you fight the toughest monsters in the game, TEDs, and they reward you with high-level gems and weapon augment materials so you can make yourself better sets. As a long-time veteran of the series, I can say that it's a pretty flimsy end-game compared to MH4U or MHGen. There's just a lot less content in this game than previous entries, but that's what happens when they remake it from the ground up. Then again, compared to most other games it's still great. I was pretty happy to dump 350 hours or so into this game (vs 650 for MHGen). But I've gotten to the point where I only come back when there's new content available, because I've already gotten nearly all the stuff I wanted from TEDs.

Make sure you get to HR50 and fight Tempered Deviljho before Apr 19th rolls around (the event quest is called "Relish the Moment", and you need to be HR50 to do it). He's the toughest fight in the game IMO, and he also has the highest drop rate for weapon augment materials. He's a fun challenge to conquer and is only around until the end of Spring Blossom Fest, at least for now.

17. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Yeah i think all weapons are viable in this game if they look cool im crafting them :).And its fun playing different weapons they bring more variety I play LS, DB, HH, Hammer, Lance,GL, SnS,SA, LBG. I just picked up the new GS hopefully brings me more hours into the game Im a little burned out on this game now but i put in 330 hours really quick lol and ive gotten most of the rare decorations available and got a whole bunch of hero and warrior stones etc i havent even used .

beat tempered pickled 4 times during this event in the first win i got 1 hero stone and 1 sullied stone, hard to find capable team mates with randoms (im always responding to SOS). Ive had the most success agaisnt him with my lance tank build i rarely cart with it its just getting my team mates to stay alive lol and solo wins take me too long vs him.
    I got 4 Defense Boost/5 Guard/ 3 health boost/3 recovery speed/3 weakness exploit/3 peak performance/1 GuardUp/Nergigantes Lance Perditions Hand/3 piece vaal for that extra vitality its a little overkill but that shield its potent as fucc

18. Drexlerfan22

Yeah, I love how boss shielding is in this game. Previous games it was all about evade and most people never played any kind of Guard build. They did a great job making everything viable. Except HH, that thing is still only good in multiplayer.

I definitely use Bow the most, but I've been playing more and more shield HBG, along with GS/GL/SnS. I dabble in every weapon but those are the biggest ones.

Only decoration I *really* want is a 3rd Fungiform so I can slot it into my Bow sets without needing to use any armor pieces for it. A 5th Ironwall jewel would be nice as well, but there is some really good Guard armor so I don't feel like I need it as much. Augments, I really really want another two lvl6 Sword so I can finish augmenting the Rocket GS.

That's pretty much my list. I'm trying to farm that stuff during Spring Blossom Fest, and if and when I get them I will probably hang it up again until the next new monster drops. I hear there are 4 new ones yet to come, with 2 of them being more like subspecies: Lunastra (much like Teostra), Oroshi Kirin (much like Kirin), Alatreon (WOOT!), and "Treasure Dragon" (no one knows what this is, must be new).

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I got an Attack Boost gem from the melder the other day. They do exist.

20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

So does anyone play on xbox one?