1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Restaurant prices?!?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Apr 4, 2018.

1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

The key is don't order so damn much. There is no "rule" in the dining out handbook that says you must order an appetizer, entree, and dessert. There is no holy trinity of restaurant ordering. Furthermore, I usually stick to water or at most an iced tea. If you order booze, the bill's going to go up by a quite a bit. Also, this may be a Texas thing but going out on dates on the East or West coast, the women (regardless of her physical size) tend to go with smaller and healthier entrees like salad or sandwich and generally skip dessert and/or entrees. All of the dates I've gone on, the women have generally only ordered entrees and didn't want dessert and appetizers. I guess everything is bigger in Texas.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Obviously. But I can't fault any restaurant for making a profit! I've had great burgers that cost over $10. I just try enough to know where the gems are.

That said: What other type of cuisine do you need my advice?

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

{fully unapologetic Kingwood hater}

What in the world is worth even trying up there? And my brother lives in Atascosita.

(Still love ima, though)

4. Damion Laverne

Mind you, I took someone who likes to eat and drink. The food is really good, and the service was top-notch when I went. But yeah, all the drinks were $10+ each; the sides were $10+ each; the entrees were around $50 to $60 each. And included in my total was a $30+ tip. Oh, and we both got dessert ($10+ each).

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  5. Damion Laverne

So true. The woman I've been taking out on dates is like 6'1" and likes to eat. So, my bills reflect that.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Haha, well there's a TexMex place on just about every corner. And lots of chicken places. Both Bill's and Pete's have amazing hamburgers. Amedeo's for Italian. Great Harvest Bread is a pretty good deli. Zachary's Cajun Cafe has authentic Cajun food (try the alligator po-boy and the bread pudding). Kingwood Meat Market for the best breakfast taco's you'll ever have. There were some good spots on the waterfront at Lake Houston, but they were all destroyed by Harvey.

jelanit and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  7. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Are these first or "normal" dates? Or like anniversary/birthday/special occasion dates? .... because if that is a normal date that is insane.

watashi315 and Bob Barker 007 like this.
  8. Damion Laverne

"Normal," but I eat out twice a month, at most. And, again, it's with a woman who is tall and likes to eat. These are all relatively "high-end" spots, too.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Coincidentally, 4 out of the 5 he listed are chains.

dc rock likes this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Really? I spend a lot of time up there since my company is based in Schofield. It's pretty damn white but I've never encountered anything like that from anyone there.

11. Buck Turgidson

Nope, but....

chicken pieces, spice them with whatever you like (salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, cayanne, etc....)
    soak them in buttermilk for a few hours
    drain
    dredge in spiced flour (same spices as above)
    dip in egg wash
    back in the flour
    fry
    put in paper bag or on a wire rack to cool/drain
    make gravy and mashed potatoes, and corn, collards whatever strikes your fancy
    eat

#51 Buck Turgidson, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Nook and Entropy like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I stick to water, no appetizer and no dessert. Usually spend $20-$40 depending where we go. As everyone already has said, they give too much food in most entrees anyways.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What the hell, man -- is she trying to fill up to her neck? I've heard of people being fat and eating a lot, but never because they were kind of tall. Does she order multiple steaks? I need to know more to understand this predicament you've managed to get yourself into.

BTW, learn to cook steaks at home. It's not that hard (well, if you get prime cuts and don't kill it in the cooking process). And most of these places just slap half-a-pound of butter on them afterwards to make them really taste good. Unless you're going for the "ambiance", of course.

14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Thank you!

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

NM

#55 Exiled, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  16. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

As someone that lives in that area, you must be talking about La Villa on 2 dollar margs all day saturday. Also I wanna see this spreadsheet.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Oh I have seen a lot of questionable things. I think part of the problem is that many parts of Wisconsin are not used to seeing a lot of different types of people. I have seen a lot of people stare at the few black people in town, or follow them nervously around the store and in some cases have heard some very nasty words used when certain people leave stores or the public area. I have also seen some insensitive things around town.

Honestly, in my experience the Mid West has some serious racial problems.

18. Damion Laverne

No - she's not fat. I do cook steak at home occasionally. She likes to ask a lot of questions of the menu whenever we go out. And ever since I've been in busy season (I do taxes), I've gone out only three times.

I try not to go out every week; I work too much for that lol

19. Damion Laverne

Well, "chains" as in regular/everyday spots like Chili's.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

What is amazing is what good tex-mex places charge for beef fajitas. I buy flank steak (better cut than most of the places who use skirt steak) and do my own for around $8 per pound vs the $25 per pound places like El Tiempo/Pappasito's/Escalante's charge