1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Bob currently under fire: "Cant let the inmates run the prison"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we just need to quit playing the National Anthem during NFL games. It might be called the National Football League, but the players and their teams certainly don't serve, represent, or stand for our nation playing a game of football. I don't think our athletes need to be celebrated that way as if they are National heroes. Save the anthem and color guard ceremonies for special events and ceremonies for those that serve and protect us and our country, for those who sacrificed their lives to give us our freedoms, and for parties, picnics, and special events celebrating our great country.

#1161 deb4rockets, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

#1162 Nimo, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    joshuaao and macho GRANDE like this.
  3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

why dont our beat writers ask good questions (They ask the same questions everytime they see Obrien (How is watson doing, how is JJ Watt doing) Protest issue?

Why not ask - are we done in Free Agency (Is there other moves being considered?
    Why havent we lined up any Free agent meetings? Are we intersting in Eric Reid??

our beat writers so boring (Every other beatwriters are asking this questions

BigShasta and deb4rockets like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Funny you say that, but both comments were taken out of context in order to push a false narrative. The "inmates running the prison" comments were directed at the league office as there was a disagreement between the league office and the owners as to where power should reside. His comments when taken in context weren't "out of touch", there are just people who wanted you to think they were.

The same goes for this statement, if you look at the full statement in context, it's no big deal, but of course you'll have the same types of people who took his first statement out of context in order to push a narrative do the same thing with this comment.

When I say "the usual suspects" BTW, I'm not talking about posters here, although maybe I could. Specifically I was talking about those who initially framed the comments when reporting them to make it seem as if there was something wrong with them. Also, I was not accusing you of iintending to take his quotes out of context, but that's what happened. Also, I get why people are annoyed by his comments as they are being framed for you, but the problem is that those people are annoyed by a false narrative. It's very similar to those people who were annoyed by a false narrative on a different story and went around chanting "hands up, don't shoot" despite the fact that looks really foolish once the full story came out.

This is no different, people jumped the gun based on some pretty awful reporting and now that the full comment comes out, those who were ready to tar and feather Bob McNair look pretty foolish. Now you can argue, and I won't disagree with you, that Bob McNair should have known that the usual suspects would be looking to twist his words and that he should have just refused comment on the situation so that they couldn't do so. That said, he didn't actually do anything wrong and I'm not aware of any allegations of him EVER doing or saying anything legitimately wrong or offensive.

Champs and Granville like this.
  5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

59 pages later and the same clowns are still arguing about a false narrative lol.

In the interest of moving forward, I'll go with @deb4rockets proposal.

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Gonna have to push back on these quotes being taken out of context.

Context around inmate comments
    Sure sounds like he’s referring to the players.

As for these most recent quotes, he’s still minimizing the issue by saying it was a misunderstanding and that Richardson didn’t mean to offend.

Mind you, this is the same Richardson that has settled for sexual assault MULTIPLE times. I get that he is trying to defend his friend, but as an owner and representative of this league, you cannot be this obtuse when speaking to the media.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. texian

texian Member

Jerry Jones defends Bob McNair: 'Inmates' comment not about players

Jones was in the room, and it's not like he and McNair are buddies. He knew McNair was talking to Goodell's Football Operations people trying to set policies without the owners. You can believe whatever suits you, but the battle that day and beforehand had been between the owners and Goodell's people as to who's making decisions. Troy Vincent thinks he's in charge, Goodell thinks he's in charge, owners think they're in charge. Throw DeMaurice Smith in there and it's a big catfight.

csj likes this.
  8. LongTimeFan

Lol. Jones and McNair ARE buddies. They have been two of the most vocal regarding the rule change on the anthem. I, for one, am SHOCKED that Jerry would stand up for him! ;) The lengths people go to defend someone because they align with their views....

el gnomo likes this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So where do they put the McNair mold now since there won't be a statue?

I vote for players tunnel to remind the players who the warden is

[​IMG]

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, you can make it sound like that, but the fact is, it's not the case. I guess it just comes down to if facts matter or if only narrative matters. When it comes to these issues, it's pretty clear that with some, only narrative matters.

He's saying essentially what was said to him and honestly it's probably true not that it really matters. If you read Bob McNair's complete statement, there's nothing at all offensive or "out of touch" about it. The only real problem is that there are liars and scumbags trying to twist things in order to push a false narrative.....and FAR too many people are eating it up.

12. texian

texian Member

Not even close, Jerruh thinks Bob is a self-righteous goody-two-shoes who looks down his nose at him and his partying and gloryholing ways. Which he is/does.

Jerruh hates NFL Houston. He cried like a little girl when Texans beat the Cowgirls in our first ever game. And contrary to whatever BS the front office was putting out, Jerruh was never ever ever going to allow Romo to suit up here. Ever.
    Nope, LA was given the franchise and they didn't have any of their isht together. They ended up offering a little over $500 million and McNair dropped $700 million on them and, unlike LA, he had a plan. It was the money.

13. LongTimeFan

That's cool how you misspelled his name while interjecting your opinion. But let me pull a texian and drop a Jerry quote:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...erry-jones-including-his-entourage-blind-date

"Not even close" lol. Do you just make up things all day to suit your narrative? You fit in well with the other characters in this thread.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah so now the people that actually heard the full conversation are lying just so we can keep the narrative alive? LOL, just another example of when ideology matters more than facts.

Champs likes this.
  15. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

The fact is that McNair said his inmates comment as a reply to Dan Snyder, who was discussing the players standing. I read "inmates" as referring to those players (so does Troy Vincent and other witnesses), while you read it as referring to the NFL front office. Fair enough, we have a difference of opinion here. But don't conflate this as me pushing a narrative. McNair was compelled to issue an apology for these comments, so at the very least, he acknowledged that he used poor phrasing at the time.

Now let's fast-forward to yesterday's comments. The Panthers owner has settled out of court for years of sexual harassment and using a racial slur. You can read more below:

https://www.si.com/jerry-richardson...m&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

As someone who has already used poor phrasing with racial undertones, why would McNair say anything that could be construed as minimizing these allegations to the media? To me, that is a very dumb decision - it re-opens conversation about me being a bigot and hurts public/player sentiment to my team, DURING FREE AGENCY. Plus, it is a slap in the face to those who were asked to "Show me how you wiggle to get those jeans up".

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a matter of you reading it one way vs me reading it another. It's you reading it one way despite the fact that we've known for a fact for a LONG time now that it was said to mean otherwise. This is you buying spin and rejecting what actually happened.

McNair apologized that people misinterpreted what he said, but that doesn't mean he was wrong, it just means that his words were spun to mean something other than what he said and enough people chose to believe the spin.

He didn't use poor phrasing with racial undertones though, so pretty much everything you say after that is BS. I get that you seem to be predisposed to buying in to BS spin when it comes to this topic, but you can't expect anyone else to take spin as if it were fact. I'm sure you probably believed Micheal Bennett too when he was lying about what happened in Las Vegas to push the same kind of narrative.

No intelligent person would read or hear the entire quote from McNair and have a problem with it, sure his statement was spun to push the BS narrative about him being a bigot, but those kinds of people will spin literally anything....they are pretty awful people that way. It's ideology and narrative over anything else. I think everyone is best off if they ignore the spin and look at what actually happened and what was actually said for themselves.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A majority of the NFL black. If you want the sport that is most representative of cross section of society its baseball.

Champs likes this.
  18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Even if I grant you (which I don't) that the "inmates" comment wasn't about the players and shouldn't be thought of as reflecting race in any way, the fact of the matter is that many players and the public at large believe these things to be true. McNair apologized for this phrasing, so he acknowledges that public perception was against him at the time. With that in mind, McNair should be more guarded with his words, especially when speaking about sensitive matters like this.

Again, I'm not trying to push a narrative that McNair is some malevolent racist, just making the point that he should be careful here, especially given the potential blowback he could face.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I can’t believe there are still unnecessary discussions on Bob McNair’s character. He is a piece of crap and a coward. From secretly funding a hateful bill, to his ignorant comments.

20. csj

csj Member

If the discussion is "unnecessary" why do you keep posting?

Granville likes this.