1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Chris Paul running out of steam?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 18, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Has anyone notice some signs of Chris Paul slowing down as the season reaches its close, and is there cause for concern about what this bodes for the playoffs? The way he’s playing now reminds me more of old-man game Sam Cassell than CP3.

I'm noticing a couple things, in particular:

• Difficulty driving past his defender in one-on-one ISO situations. I don't expect him to have the blow-by speed of Harden, but he doesn't seem to be creating the same havoc off the dribble as he did before. I think this is a reason why his assists have declined quite a bit the last few months (down to around 6-7 a game).
    • When he gets into the paint, he's having major difficulties finishing at the basket. I can’t remember the last time he hit a layup in traffic.
    • Defensively, he’s been very vulnerable when matched against othe PGs due to apparently declining foot speed.
    Did I just not see this at the beginning of the year, or has he been indeed slowing down?

robgue, Little Bit, jevjnd and 2 others like this.
  2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

It’s tiring teaching Harden how to have heart!

SuperMarioBro, Jontro, Remlap and 6 others like this.
  3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Maybe it has to do with Warriors folding their tent in the regular season. Right now, staying healthy is the most important for the team.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes and his shot isn't always falling. I think he needs two weeks off.. then let harden take two weeks off. We are pretty ahead of the pack right now.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Maybe he's purposely slowing down ... Or maybe he's running out of juice ... Either way I agree ... It looks like he's a half step slower compared to earlier this season .

If he's running out of juice , that's not a problem . Becuase we should be able to give him a couple of games off and he can get some spring back .

IMO the race for the 1st seed is a distraction . It's all about being ready for the playoffs and a large part of that is having fresh legs ( or hands )

slothy420 and jevjnd like this.
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'd like to think with the 1/2 day rest pattern in the playoffs, he'll be able to finish better in the paint and D up more.

I'm not worried about CP3. Even with this minor decline, he's still an excellent PG. Still leads the entire league in RPM.

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

He's too passive at times especially recently. He is probably coasting but in certain games, in certain spurts he needs to bring it and be more assertive than he has been in some recent games (Toronto, tonight) which is disappointing and frustrating. Hope it's nothing deeper like him legitimately slowing down/running out of steam at this point.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  8. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Lock up that #1 seed and get these old legs some rest!

split41 and Landsdale like this.
  9. clutz

clutz Member

Cleverly disguised "I have grown to HATE" thread

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Not at all, he is pacing himself. He is ready for the Playoffs to start

18ppg 5rpg 7apg 46 percent shooting from the field and 38 percent from three in the past 5 games by the way

split41, charlieaustin, cbass and 8 others like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The CP3-led bench units have been pretty awful lately. That needs to change in the playoffs.

12. Wylo

Wylo Member

Both Harden and CP3 look a bit sluggish these days

jayydela, SF3isBack!! and Stormy1234 like this.
  13. mario_v

mario_v Member

He hasn’t made a layup in a long time.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, he is not. And neither he nor Harden look sluggish.

heypartner and Tfor3 like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Long season is long. Not sure how they can lock in 20 pt leads and rest people when the teams we're playing against are fighting for spots. Maybe sitting them out is the only way.

Wonder how bad Capella's thumb is, but he's not going to talk about it if James isn't.

#15 Invisible Fan, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I think he is trying to conserve himself for the playoffs and he is being careful not to get hurt. If you try to go into the paint you tend to run into people and get hurt more easily. So I think he is being careful.

I bet he switch is to another level in the playoffs. He is a veteran he knows he needs to save the best for the playoffs. And plus he has Harden to help him take it easy.

I’m not worried, we will see Nene, Cp3 and Joe those old men :p take it to another level and so will Harden now that he doesn’t have to carry the team on his own.

17. Wylo

Wylo Member

This is a side point, but outside of Harden why do we always get great players past their prime? T-Mac, Dwght, and now CP3. If there is one thing to pick on Morey's career, it's definitely this.

18. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

To those ClutchFans who didn't watch CP3 in his past few years, he tends to find a time to slow down and rest a little near the end of the regular season, pace himself to be better prepared for the playoffs.

Nice observation, no need to worry though.

#18 James.B.H, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup.

This isn't CP3's first Rodeo. He is coasting like the old savvy Veteran that he is.

20. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

And What's funny about that, is the rockets are about to give those tired old legs a lot of money. Have y'll notice that harden has had to come in and save the day the last few games.

joeson332, deb4rockets and Little Bit like this.